Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I agree, I think prospects are seen as shiny new toys and they get over protected by the fanbase.

Coaches demand consistency, that's why Heinola has spent so much time in the AHL. They want to see him come in and play the same way every night. If you're putting a guy in your lineup and you're nervous to put him on the ice because he's been missing his assignments, or being too aggressive in the o-zone and giving up 2 on 1s, he's not ready.

Happens a lot on this board specifically, by which I mean HF not just the Jets. They're like cars. Hold all their value until they actually drive off the lot into the lineup and then their value drops significantly.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Yeah which is such a weird hangup that it makes me think something else is brewing.

Like nearly every single prospect either makes the team or doesn't. Absolutely no one is gifted a spot simply for signing.

Some may be rushed into the NHL to early because a team is to weak to fill that spot with someone else. But I've never heard of a team saying yep we'll give you a spot no matter what.

Must be more to it. Unless he’s genuinely angling to play where he wants and dictate that or earn an nhl contract “now”

It’s the only thing that makes sense. The Jets org isn’t going to damage a relationship with a prized draft pick.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Must be more to it. Unless he’s genuinely angling to play where he wants and dictate that or earn an nhl contract “now”

It’s the only thing that makes sense. The Jets org isn’t going to damage a relationship with a prized draft pick.

Yeah and we have had no issues burning years in other instances.

This just kind of screams I don't want to be locked into the Jets for 7 years where I may have to work my way up from the AHL for 2-3 seasons. I'd prefer a spot with less competition that I can maybe get there within a year.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Yeah and we have had no issues burning years in other instances.

This just kind of screams I don't want to be locked into the Jets for 7 years where I may have to work my way up from the AHL for 2-3 seasons. I'd prefer a spot with less competition that I can maybe get there within a year.
Agree with your post,but I don’t blame him either.

Reactions: ello

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
And he probably ends playing in that last game anyway. I would understand him being upset if the Jets didn't want to burn a year off his ELC but not anything else.

Exactly

It sounds like he wanted to go back to college despite the Jets wanting to sign him and then the Jets supported that decision

This reeks of wanting to earn nhl dollars sooner

B33R LEAGUE

"Just another day at the office" -Byfuglien
May 19, 2021
That it's a front to hide that he doesn't want to be here. It's his right but as many players who have left will tell, the grass isn't always greener elsewhere.

I trust this is a metaphor and not to be taken literally.

Because we all know the grass is literally greener anywhere else.

Ironically, this belief could be the very reason Mcgroarty intends on taking his talent elsewhere.

If its not the greener grass, it must be the greener greenbacks.

Reactions: robertocarlos

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I trust this is a metaphor and not to be taken literally.

Because we all know the grass is literally greener anywhere else.

Ironically, this belief could be the very reason Mcgroarty intends on taking his talent elsewhere.

Yes it was a metaphor. The point is that situations aren't always better elsewhere. Sometimes they are like Trouba in NY, but sometimes they aren't such as Laine and Roslovic in Columbus.

Is winnipeg a top market or an elite franchise, no. But they have been competitive for close to a decade and treat their players with a lot of respect. There are plenty of worse run organizations that can't get out of the basement.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agree with your post,but I don’t blame him either.

No he's just using his leverage to get what he wants, Hopefully Chevy turns this into a win or at the very least breaks even.

Yes it was a metaphor. The point is that situations aren't always better elsewhere. Sometimes they are like Trouba in NY, but sometimes they aren't such as Laine and Roslovic in Columbus.

Is winnipeg a top market or an elite franchise, no. But they have been competitive for close to a decade and treat their players with a lot of respect. There are plenty of worse run organizations that can't get out of the basement.

I think Rosie made out quite alright in CBJ. He's got more playing time and likely more money there. Laine got the bag but he certainly isn't doing better in any way.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No he's just using his leverage to get what he wants, Hopefully Chevy turns this into a win or at the very least breaks even.

I think Rosie made out quite alright in CBJ. He's got more playing time and likely more money there. Laine got the bag but he certainly isn't doing better in any way.

From a money perspective sure. But I seem to recall an interview by him this past year where he seemed to indicate he didn't realize how well he had it here and seemed a bit regretful about leaving. Playing on a good team and not a joke of a franchise matters to some of these guys.

raideralex99

Whiteout Is Coming.
Dec 18, 2015
West Coast
Interesting how rumors keep changing ... still waiting for 3:59 Friday ... not

https://x.com/AavcoCup
@AavcoCup

Serevalli had a different take on Rutger. Seems to imply it was the #NHLJets who felt slighted when Rutger decided to go back to college. That they really wanted him to turn pro and they became worried about him going back. Referenced Cutter Gauthier​

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

x.com

@AavcoCup

Serevalli had a different take on Rutger. Seems to imply it was the #NHLJets who felt slighted when Rutger decided to go back to college. That they really wanted him to turn pro and they became worried about him going back. Referenced Cutter Gauthier​

oh I knew the "Groarts" was solid this whole time...:sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

https://x.com/AavcoCup
@AavcoCup

This one is harder to believe. This org values education and I can't recall another instance of them bulking at a kid going back to school for a year.

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
This one is harder to believe. This org values education and I can't recall another instance of them bulking at a kid going back to school for a year.
they literally wait until they don't have a choice to try and convince players to stay, I listened to the interview and kypreos seemed to have more of a clue of the situation then serevelli

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
he was just saying from his understanding it was because the jets didn't have a spot available to him(basically what friedman/weibe/mcintyre/billeck said), then serevelli didn't really know how to answer that
Would it be fair to assume that McGroarty knew that and is not willing to wait for contracts to expire or players to be moved.
I've heard the term gifted a spot a lot but not a solid quote from the organization.
I get he's only 20 , but IF he's got the potential to be an impact player why are we hearing 2 different takes on this.
I have to admit I'm disappointed as a fan , but really don't know what is going on.

Reactions: roccerfeller

gojetsgo

Nov 1, 2015
Would it be fair to assume that McGroarty knew that and is not willing to wait for contracts to expire or players to be moved.
I've heard the term gifted a spot a lot but not a solid quote from the organization.
I get he's only 20 , but IF he's got the potential to be an impact player why are we hearing 2 different takes on this.
I have to admit I'm disappointed as a fan , but really don't know what is going on.
I'm confused by this, are you saying he should get a spot because he has the potential to be an impact player?

Reactions: Buffdog

robertocarlos

Sep 19, 2014
Trade him to Washington for PLD at 50% retained and a 1st. Washington gets a young winger who fits their core better and gets out of PLD’s contract, and we get our 2C locked in for seven more years at $4.25 while picking up a draft pick to take on the contract
Trade him to CBJ for Laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad