Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
So thinking is Walters with Newburry? Maybe they keep Torres as skills guy and hire an actual D coach??? Im stunned if walters is the choice! Theres gotta be better candidates out there to choose from without the baggage too! Tells me BB isn’t feeling any heat from ownership on this mess.
Buddy to buddy..
'Safe'

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
So thinking is Walters with Newburry? Maybe they keep Torres as skills guy and hire an actual D coach??? Im stunned if walters is the choice! Theres gotta be better candidates out there to choose from without the baggage too! Tells me BB isn’t feeling any heat from ownership on this mess.
Yes there are. Walters record in the OHL.

18/19 .676 win % +72 GD, conference finals
19/20 .589 win% +2 GD
21/22 .559 win% -10 GD 5 seed lost in game 7
22/23 .537 win% -10 GD 7 seed lost in 4

OS NHL picks Guindon/Lawrence/Petrovski/Barlow

Oshawa NHL picks Tulio

With the exception of 18/19 the results are the definition of average. This isn't including his short stint and suspension in 23/24.

Unless Bowler thinks he can give Walters an NHL factory of players there should be some skepticism.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits home opener for regular season is Saturday September 28
They play the night before at Sarnia for their home opener (September 27).
Should mention Kitchener plays the night before at home for their opener before coming to Windsor on the 28th

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Full schedule to be released Monday 11am.
I'm probably the one off on this but not really concerned about the home opener or the schedule yet, still want to enjoy summer, vacation time, family before I worry about actual games in the fall. Now signings, new coach, NHL draft, import draft I will pay attention to but the schedule, not that interested yet. Be safe.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I'm probably the one off on this but not really concerned about the home opener or the schedule yet, still want to enjoy summer, vacation time, family before I worry about actual games in the fall. Now signings, new coach, NHL draft, import draft I will pay attention to but the schedule, not that interested yet. Be safe.

The schedule has always intrigued me as there's usually multiple things for me to figure out. Like, last year, I realized I was able to make Erie for the first time in eight years (which was a big deal for me). To each their own but it's something I look forward to every Spring/Summer.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

FiveHoleo

Jul 31, 2021
Yes there are. Walters record in the OHL.

18/19 .676 win % +72 GD, conference finals
19/20 .589 win% +2 GD
21/22 .559 win% -10 GD 5 seed lost in game 7
22/23 .537 win% -10 GD 7 seed lost in 4

OS NHL picks Guindon/Lawrence/Petrovski/Barlow

Oshawa NHL picks Tulio

With the exception of 18/19 the results are the definition of average. This isn't including his short stint and suspension in 23/24.

Unless Bowler thinks he can give Walters an NHL factory of players there should be some skepticism.
Of course there should be skepticism. We couldn't possibly just enjoy the offseason and see what the new year brings us, we need to assume the club is about to self destruct at all times as if we had some sort of mental disorder like Schleprock from the Pebbles and Bam Bam show.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Wether it is Walters or a surprise coming. I have to believe all the players signing this early is because they are totally confident in the near future of the coaching staff or at least with each other towards building a stout team as a group. Can never rule out a coach/part owner? coming in. The amount of $$ spent on education programs with the 6 players signed plus who knows what else shows a super commitment to the team by ownership and to the fans.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
Wether it is Walters or a surprise coming. I have to believe all the players signing this early is because they are totally confident in the near future of the coaching staff or at least with each other towards building a stout team as a group. Can never rule out a coach/part owner? coming in. The amount of $$ spent on education programs with the 6 players signed plus who knows what else shows a super commitment to the team by ownership and to the fans.
I agree. If there is no coach even behind the scenes yet, Bowlers doing a great job at getting guys to buy into the program.

Maybe they “cheaped out” with Smith last year, but paying for 6 kids full college education this year, isn’t being cheap in any sense, regardless of who the coach is.

Re-Schedule: I’m always excited for it as well. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten busier and have to plan trips a bit more. It gives me a chance to reserve some days for travel and see if there’s any good double-shot weekends I can commit to as I enjoy seeing opposing rinks.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I agree. If there is no coach even behind the scenes yet, Bowlers doing a great job at getting guys to buy into the program.

Maybe they “cheaped out” with Smith last year, but paying for 6 kids full college education this year, isn’t being cheap in any sense, regardless of who the coach is.

Re-Schedule: I’m always excited for it as well. As I’ve gotten older, I’ve gotten busier and have to plan trips a bit more. It gives me a chance to reserve some days for travel and see if there’s any good double-shot weekends I can commit to as I enjoy seeing opposing rinks.
You're still limited in what you can spend in education packages though. You're not limited in how much you can pay your coaches.

Reactions: windsor7

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Skepticism, is it warranted? Yes. Lots of reasons why.
Frankly all i care about today is who the euro pick is and who is behind the bench. Theyve done a pretty damn good job with the draft by all appearances, kudos! Job isn’t finished tho. Team was put in a predicament and personally i need to see it rectified. I still know for fact what BB is all about and how hes treated many many people so i reserve judgement. Thats my opinion based on personal knowledge. For the franchises health i truly hope for only the best. Those of you who choose to sit quietly, or support BB without question, thats ok too. Were all entitled to opinions. At the end of the day we all want a successful team that builds strong young men.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So far, it's been about as good of an off-season as we could have asked for. With six players signing, including some highly-touted ones, the future in that aspect looks really, really good. Now, there's more on the horizon with the coaching and Import pick. Will a swing-and-a-miss on either one destroy everything done so far? No. Will it create skepticism? Yes. Props so far and keep pushing on with cautious optimism.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Frankly all i care about today is who the euro pick is and who is behind the bench. Theyve done a pretty damn good job with the draft by all appearances, kudos! Job isn’t finished tho. Team was put in a predicament and personally i need to see it rectified. I still know for fact what BB is all about and how hes treated many many people so i reserve judgement. Thats my opinion based on personal knowledge. For the franchises health i truly hope for only the best. Those of you who choose to sit quietly, or support BB without question, thats ok too. Were all entitled to opinions. At the end of the day we all want a successful team that builds strong young men.
Well I agree somewhat. If it is Walters I'm concerned about the info coming out is Owen Sound. The league did suspend him. Now being he has been suspended and had had time to reflect does he change his ways or revert back? The concerning part is what happens if he can't help himself and has to be moved on from? Not only do they need another coach but team culture would take a hit - exhibit A is Owen Sound. They never righted the ship after he left.

So maybe it is someone else but too many rumors pointing in Walters direction.
I will buy into what Cherrydon posted. The kids are signing quickly and often so they seem to be comfortable. Time will tell.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Very well put. We need to separate enthusiasm from signing 6 draft picks to understanding most likely 3 will be in the every day lineup. That doesn't mean the team will be a lot better. You need to on an import pick, find a quality coach, figure out goaltending and increase the overall talent eg 05 and 06. The team was extremely reliant on Greentree if he missed 12-14 games due to WJs is the team talented enough to withstand that? Judging strictly on returning players probably not.

I think fans can be patient but it's up to Bowler to get a better overall roster and still get the young players going. Smith wasn't a good choice as coach but Bowler gave him very little to work with. That has to change.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't think getting enthusiastic about the picks is a bad thing. Compared to last season, the club has seemingly gone night-and-day, and people are boasting about some of the players. It's a good sign for next season and especially two to three seasons down the road. Is there more to work to do? Absolutely. However, so far so good... and keep going.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
Staff directory doesn't show a goaltending coach currently either. Just "interim" HC Torres, AC Newberry as well as skating coach McElwain.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't think getting enthusiastic about the picks is a bad thing. Compared to last season, the club has seemingly gone night-and-day, and people are boasting about some of the players. It's a good sign for next season and especially two to three seasons down the road. Is there more to work to do? Absolutely. However, so far so good... and keep going.
I'm with this. I bought seasons because it feels like this is the ground floor of what could be something special, and while Bowler hasn't done a lot recently to have us believe he's gonna nail this, everything since the lights went out on the season is coming up Milhouse.

Hopefully we bring a competent coaching staff in, and helps to develop this young talent we're adding

Reactions: OHL 17

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I imagine he gets a good look at camp/preseason and if not quite ready stays with Lasalle to start with 10 more games to look at him before signing him to an A card. Then again could happen before season gets underway. Earned a good look fo sure big kid they need to balance the smaller forwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad