Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Ostrovski, and Brocklehurst are still only 15, so require time to develop, They will help the Spits in the future.
Absolute that’s the thing with younger players that’s beneficial- can send them to junior a/b for a year while still keeping in touch and giving them things to work on- calling them up for a few games etc and then start them as a 16 year old(turning 17 before Dec 31) and they still have that year as their rookie year- and the following year is their nhl draft year

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not dressed for the Blue and White at 4 are following
Costanzo, Mathurin, Christoforo, Woodall,Abraham, Davis, Greentree, Spellacy,Morneau, Yearwood
42 players are dressed between 2 teams,including 3G,6D,12F.
Belchetz and Protas are on opposite teams.

Reactions: oldPeng and OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Pretty sure there were few if any cuts made last night,didn't see 1 player leave with his hockey bag,and at least 5 or 6 players on your possible cut list are playing today in the Blue and White game.

I'm surprised there were no cuts but it gives them one last chance to showcase.

I was asked about this yesterday and I'm trying to figure it out. How many roster spots are realistically available...

G - Costanzo is 75/25 on staying with Froggett and Windbiel the most likely to back him up.

D - Gone are Toms and Toure. On the bubble is maybe Winegard. So you're left with two open spots. Right now, it's Cristoforo, Woodall, Walton, Eichler, Mathurin. That leaves two spots for Winegard, Hicks, Manzo, Hjelholt, and Lavigne. Spicer and Evans could go to Jr B with whoever else doesn't make the Spitfires. My frontrunners right now would be Hicks/Manzo but that's just me.

F - Gone are Zhugin, Smith, and Struthers. On the bubble are Greenwell, Martin, and Stewart. That leaves the three open spots, which are taken up by Belchetz, Protas, and Lemieux.. Then, Martin is likely to stick around, Greenwell is 25/75, and Stewart is a call-up, maybe. So that leaves another two spots open, one likely for Garden or Brocklehurst. Plus, does Yearwood oust Morneau?

Reactions: oldPeng

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
I'm surprised there were no cuts but it gives them one last chance to showcase.

I was asked about this yesterday and I'm trying to figure it out. How many roster spots are realistically available...

G - Costanzo is 75/25 on staying with Froggett and Windbiel the most likely to back him up.

D - Gone are Toms and Toure. On the bubble is maybe Winegard. So you're left with two open spots. Right now, it's Cristoforo, Woodall, Walton, Eichler, Mathurin. That leaves two spots for Winegard, Hicks, Manzo, Hjelholt, and Lavigne. Spicer and Evans could go to Jr B with whoever else doesn't make the Spitfires. My frontrunners right now would be Hicks/Manzo but that's just me.

F - Gone are Zhugin, Smith, and Struthers. On the bubble are Greenwell, Martin, and Stewart. That leaves the three open spots, which are taken up by Belchetz, Protas, and Lemieux.. Then, Martin is likely to stick around, Greenwell is 25/75, and Stewart is a call-up, maybe. So that leaves another two spots open, one likely for Garden or Brocklehurst. Plus, does Yearwood oust Morneau?
There will be a minimum of 7 new players. 4 08's, an OA, Import and a Goalie. I think Manzo and Gaymes also make the team. I am guessing the opening night roster will be 14F, 7D and 2 or 3G. They will probably carry 4 OAs for a month or two. Since I haven't been able to attend training camp, I can't make any predictions other than Manzo and Froggett based on last season and Gaymes because he was signed prior to training camp.

Reactions: rve24

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
I’d give Wingard’s spot to Hjelholt. A year younger, better OA potential when the time comes and fits the timeline better. Plus more upside and Winegard is no better right now.

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I don't evny the Spitfires' management as there are some tough choices to make. Lavigne, Hicks, Evans, Hjelholt all had good games today. I'm seeing online that Evans is listed as playing for the Soo Thunderbirds this season, too... so maybe there's something there?

High scoring contest today. I believe Blue took it 8-6.

Scorers:

B - Greenwell 3, Gignac 2, Hjelholt/Brocklehurst/Lemieux 1 each
W - Manzo 2, Belchetz, Stewart, Outwater, and Vilardi with singles

I think just about every goaltender outside of Newlove allowed something.

For White...

- Garden continues to use his speed and is adjusting. The more you watch, the more he's involved.
- Gaymes is coming along well. He's not going to be scoring 20-25 this season but he'll play that physical, offensive depth role.
- Belchetz is Belchetz; you give him the puck near the net and good luck.
- Walton continues to use his size and does it with a smile on his face. Hopefully this is the start.
- Evans wanted a piece of Eichler for a hit along the benches. He showed some snarl all game but nothing came of it. Again, he's listed as playing up north this season, so...
- Lavigne with more snarl today, seems more comfortable using his size.
- Hicks is poised and looked confident.
- Manzo with a pair of goals and that can only boost his confidence.

Blue...

- Brocklehurst has a shot and good speed. I'm thinking some time in Jr B would do him wonders.
- Lemieux was quiet at times but had a beauty deke goal and used his size a bit.
- Martin is Martin; big, physical, decent with the puck. I can see him getting a spot.
- Protas is an older version of Belchetz. Doesn't use his size quite as much but is lethal around the net.
- Greenwell with three and showed quite well. He's making it tough on the team.
- Gignac should get some time in Jr B. He can score but going from Jr C to OHL isn't likely.
- Spicer used his size well.
- Hjelholt looks better and better.
- Eichler was hitting anything and didn't care. Basically what we saw from him last season but with even more confidence.
- Winegard... is a strange case. He uses his size well but made some mistakes and it's going to be tough to justify him over the younger guys.

Goaltenders - Again, everyone had their good and bad moments today.

I haven't heard about cuts yet but I'd imagine there will be a bunch tonight, or tomorrow at the latest after their team practice. Management has decisions to make, especially with D and G.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits made the following cuts
after today's game
Goalies Gabriel Donahue,Dante Bertolin and Cameron Ingram.

The following D were cut,Luke Laevens,Gage Evans Grady Spicer,Aidan Ostrovski and Noah Caswell.
Upfront Mikael Tissier,Jackson Ward,Marcus Lagana,Alec Stewart,Kyle Butt,George Matsos, Adriano Tonin,Maxime Morin,Ryan Cranny,Mattao Vilardi and
Nicholas Rosati,Lucas Novak.
Not sure about goalie Michael Newlove and
Forward Julian Gignac.
Assuming both are still here number of players left from the 52 that
were at camp is 32,if not 31 or 30.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
So this leaves...

G - Froggett, Newlove (possibly), Costanzo, and Windbiel

D - Walton, Lavigne, Hicks, Manzo, Hjelholt, Winegard, and Eichler... along with Cristoforo, Mathurin, and Woodall.

F - Abraham, Davis, Greentree, Spellacy,Morneau, Yearwood, Garden, , Morgan, Belchetz, Outwater, Gaymes, Brocklehurst, Lemieux, Martin, Protas, Nesbitt, Grenwell, and Gignac for 13-14 spots.

I don't think there are many big surprises so far. Evans was on the bubble so will head to the Soo Thunderbirds, I believe.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
He should be in LaSalle playing lots
No I understand that but just curious on the rankings as I can't attend any of the camp or preseason games so others opinions is all i can go by at this point. Just curious on why he is out but some others were listed that did not show much last year?
It is only camp so I will temper my enthusiasm until we get a few games in with the regular season.

Reactions: DetSpitsFan

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
So this leaves...

G - Froggett, Newlove (possibly), Costanzo, and Windbiel

D - Walton, Lavigne, Hicks, Manzo, Hjelholt, Winegard, and Eichler... along with Cristoforo, Mathurin, and Woodall.

F - Abraham, Davis, Greentree, Spellacy,Morneau, Yearwood, Garden, , Morgan, Belchetz, Outwater, Gaymes, Brocklehurst, Lemieux, Martin, Protas, Nesbitt, Grenwell, and Gignac for 13-14 spots.

I don't think there are many big surprises so far. Evans was on the bubble so will head to the Soo Thunderbirds, I believe.
Starting with goalies I can see Windsor beginning with 3 goalies till they see how Costanzo plays then make decisions, defense if Winegard is moved on from,I would give Hicks the 7th dman job assuming his fine play continues thru exhibition with Hjelholt the 8th man,follow by Lavigne as the 9th,again will depend on Winegard decision,based on camp so Manzo has earned the 6th spot but exhibitions will determine that and with Mathurin expected to miss most of them means we will have a look at every one.
With the forwards,I don't see Windsor keeping Yearwood over Morneau and again assuming that Mathurin returns from Chicago 's camp,could he play a game in regular season speaking of Yearwood yes,we will see on that one.
Also I can see Brocklehurst, Gignac and Morgan sent to Jr B,with a good chance all 3 especially youngsters Brocklehurst and Gignac seeing some time during the course of the season.
That leaves us with 14 forwards and hopefully the exhibition season will determine the starting lineup upfront, though with Greentree, Protas, Spellacy and Davis going to NHl rookie or main camps soon,and things running into the start of our regular season guys like the above,Brocklehurst and Gignac may see some time here.
Finally most pleasant surprises for me at camp were on D Walton and his new found tough spirit,upfront Greenwell and Outwater with their much improved play re production and engagement especially Outwater regarding physicality.
Prior to camp I had both ticketed for being gone,that has changed we will see it that changes,I hope it doesn't gives Windsor a deeper lineup no question.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
i take it you’re not an avid Christo supporter eh?

Given Legend didn't mention Cristo at all, I can kind of guess where this one is aimed. Cristo has a few that strongly dislike him for various reasons. But, the effort shown in camp so far has been much better and I'm hoping he can improve to become what he should have been all along.

if Winegard is moved on from,I would give Hicks the 7th dman job assuming his fine play continues thru exhibition with Hjelholt the 8th man,follow by Lavigne as the 9th,again will depend on Winegard decision,based on camp so Manzo has earned the 6th spot

I like Winegard and, if he was an 07 or even 06, I'd say keep him. However, being an 05, I'm not fully sold on him returning.

I think Yearwood has earned something, whether it's a roster spot or a trade. He consistently brought a bit of everything, which will be beneficial. His physical play actually surprised me.

I'm impressed by Outwater. Some physical play, a good shot, and seems to have a renewed energy. Let's see if he can keep it up.

Goaltending - keep Costanzo, Froggett, and Windbiel, make Costanzo prove he's the #1, then go from there.

FireBall959

Apr 11, 2015
There is one huge issue no on seems to be talking about if you move on from Winegard. How do you replace the toughness he is willing to bring. We've all seen this team pushed around at times, and with a bunch of 16yr old's, how to protect them. Like it or not the game is still played that way. Hjelholt is a yr younger but is just another average guy. If I'm looking for a 6-7 or 8 d-man i'd keep the one that provides something needed.

Kristina Hazzard

Oct 5, 2021
There is one huge issue no on seems to be talking about if you move on from Winegard. How do you replace the toughness he is willing to bring. We've all seen this team pushed around at times, and with a bunch of 16yr old's, how to protect them. Like it or not the game is still played that way. Hjelholt is a yr younger but is just another average guy. If I'm looking for a 6-7 or 8 d-man i'd keep the one that provides something needed.
Um you just got an OA D with some

Knownothing

Nov 1, 2022
Disagree 💯. Winegard has no OA projection and just blocks development of someone younger. The league is soft and even the fights aren’t really fights anymore. Few know how. Martin as a 4th liner can take care of that role. Hjelholt with potential for 3 more years has way more upside and his skating is way beyond what Winegard can bring.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Disagree 💯. Winegard has no OA projection and just blocks development of someone younger. The league is soft and even the fights aren’t really fights anymore. Few know how. Martin as a 4th liner can take care of that role. Hjelholt with potential for 3 more years has way more upside and his skating is way beyond what Winegard can bring.
Martin just takes a lot of penalties

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Yes, Martin is my choice to be " the Guy" for policing duties. He has shown some hands and skill around the net and does not shy away from the rough stuff. If you want someone to be sitting in the box after sending a message he is your guy. Carry on.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I don’t dislike Winegard but was pretty neutral on him, his age doesn’t help him, his size does.

We have a pretty big team up front so I really don’t know if it’s needed as much on the backend. Mathurin added and if Walton has stepped up his physical play, add Eichler to the mix… I don’t know, half our defense I would consider “physical” for the 2024 brand of the OHL. Leaving Christoforo and Woodall, two guys that move the puck well from the back.

Christoforo is just the new Henault. Kind of this newer breed of defenseman, that is offensive minded, slightly undersized. He’ll put up points, log a lot of secondary assists, but he’s not super noticeable out there if he’s not pinching… and becomes super noticeable when he gets caught. The new Henault in the sense, that these type of defensemen are valuable to every single team, but will get thrashed on the Spits board. Lol. It’s the new type of player and the old school hockey mentality. I miss the tough, physical, defensemen of the past, but these types of players will emerge and be necessary.

Yeah, I don’t think Christoforo is above and beyond, going to be the next NHL Star etc… but he’s fine. He suits his role well.

But the guys that sat out the Blue/White, were our OA’s and the next 5 guys the organization has. 2 D (Woodall, Christo), 3D (Spellacy, Davis, Greentree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad