Windsor Spitfires 2023-24 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
the market will be flooded with guys soon, you probably can get a serviceable d for an 8th.

do that, no more sub par OHL players in Windsor, time to raise the floor

why sign Lavigne if your not gonna play him?
Would your 6-7 be in no order

Mathurin
Eichler
Woodall
Cristoforo
Walton
Acquisition
Manzo

??
Personally would like an upgrade on Eichler. With him back I can still see the staff playing him top 4. Most likely the goal is not to be bad and sneak into the playoffs

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Would your 6-7 be in no order

Mathurin
Eichler
Woodall
Cristoforo
Walton
Acquisition
Manzo

??
Personally would like an upgrade on Eichler. With him back I can still see the staff playing him top 4. Most likely the goal is not to be bad and sneak into the playoffs
Agree goal is not to be bad and sneak into the playoffs. We will not be a contender but should be respectable this year. If possible any big moves made should be with 26/27 in mind.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Agree goal is not to be bad and sneak into the playoffs. We will not be a contender but should be respectable this year. If possible any big moves made should be with 26/27 in mind.
Actually next year is the run year potentially, and if Belchetz doesn't make the NHL at 18 it will 26/27 as well.
If I all well I doubt he plays 4 years here, selfishly hope he plays 3 here.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Actually next year is the run year potentially, and if Belchetz doesn't make the NHL at 18 it will 26/27 as well.
If I all well I doubt he plays 4 years here, selfishly hope he plays 3 here.
Not that the play styles are 100% the same obviously but gotta look at Quinton byfield as the last comparable player fitting that mold of size and skill that young. He went second overall in the nhl and was a 2 year player in Sudbury.

Now belchetz may not go second overall in 2026 with how LOADED it is- but I assume if all goes well- no injuries etc he should be a top 5-10 pick. Then again it’s way too early to tell but from what you guys have been putting on here- sounds like he’s going to have a great year.

I’d expect 2 years given his mix of size and skill but you never know- could get lucky with the third year.

DetSpitsFan

Nov 20, 2016
I think a realistic goal is aim for 5-7 seed this season, then build to a contender in 2025-26. It'll all have to come together well but it's not impossible.
I was just thinking the exact same thing. I don’t think we’re going to be fighting hard in March to get IN the playoffs, but we’ll be battling for seeding, pretty much with home ice out of the question (obviously depends what the other teams do come deadline). Lots of hockey before then, but I expect the Spits in the 5-7 range, with 4th place potential if the talent gels and progresses quickly, and not too many western teams load up.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Top 4 in the west will be ( in no particular order) Guelph, Erie, London and 1 of either Flint or Saginaw sitting at #2 by default. 5 will be Flint or Saginaw. Leaves Sarnia, Windsor, Kitchener, Soo and Owen Sound in the bottom 5. I think Soo, Kitchener and Owen Sound will sell so Windsor should finish 6 -8. And of course like any other predictions this should bring a good chuckle at the end of the year.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Top 4 in the west will be ( in no particular order) Guelph, Erie, London and 1 of either Flint or Saginaw sitting at #2 by default. 5 will be Flint or Saginaw. Leaves Sarnia, Windsor, Kitchener, Soo and Owen Sound in the bottom 5. I think Soo, Kitchener and Owen Sound will sell so Windsor should finish 6 -8. And of course like any other predictions this should bring a good chuckle at the end of the year.
I agree with most of that. My concerns are the lack of good 05's on the Spits roster and being low on 07s. Also I think people are underestimating the fact for a lot of these players this will be their 3rd coach in 12 months with the latter having very little success his past few years and he does carry some baggage. Any success will have to be on the back of the 06s and yes some of them are quite talented but they will have to be the best players for them consistently every night. Still a lot to ask.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Greentree and Davis are off to the kings rookie faceoff tournament.

Starts on sept 13th and ends the 16th. I assume they’ll both miss the pre season game where you guys are in sarnia on the 17th but should be back by the 19th when you host flint.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Greentree and Davis are off to the kings rookie faceoff tournament.

Starts on sept 13th and ends the 16th. I assume they’ll both miss the pre season game where you guys are in sarnia on the 17th but should be back by the 19th when you host flint.
I doubt that Greentree will be back seeing he is signed and the Kings start their camp on the 19th
I doubt that Protas wil be back from Washington seeing he is signed as well during Windsor 's exhibition schedule.
Now I fully expect both players speaking of Greentree and Protas back after their pro teams training camps end.

Last edited:

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Guelph fans gonna think I'm a hater of there's as I've posted this a few times elsewhere haha, but I genuinely don't see what others do with them.

Luchanko obviously gonna be a stud. Namestnikov/Karabela are good OAs, not sure if they are elite ones. Arliksson should breakout. After that I really question where they get consistent production. I like Snelgrove & McFaddsn but only 17 & coming off quiet rookie years.

On D, Allen has been a rather big disappointment so far, but maybe this is the yr he puts it together. Budnick is a fine OA D. Baeuchesne is a stud, but only 17. After that not a ton of sure fire good OHL players.

Gilepssie had a great yr although was much better 1st half than 2nd. Do lose the luxury of having a good, reliable backup unless one of their rookies surprise.

They aren't bad, I just don't see a lock of a top 5 team that many others do.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I doubt that Greentree will be back seeing he is signed and the Kings start their camp on the 19th
I doubt that Protas wil be back from Washington seeing he is signed as well during Windsor 's exhibition schedule.
Now I fully expect both players speaking of Greentree and Protas back after their pro teams training camps end.

It's a good opportunity for the younger guys to show what they can do.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Guelph fans gonna think I'm a hater of there's as I've posted this a few times elsewhere haha, but I genuinely don't see what others do with them.

Luchanko obviously gonna be a stud. Namestnikov/Karabela are good OAs, not sure if they are elite ones. Arliksson should breakout. After that I really question where they get consistent production. I like Snelgrove & McFaddsn but only 17 & coming off quiet rookie years.

On D, Allen has been a rather big disappointment so far, but maybe this is the yr he puts it together. Budnick is a fine OA D. Baeuchesne is a stud, but only 17. After that not a ton of sure fire good OHL players.

Gilepssie had a great yr although was much better 1st half than 2nd. Do lose the luxury of having a good, reliable backup unless one of their rookies surprise.

I think they’re in the 4-6 range personally. Don’t think Guelph finishes above London, Saginaw or Erie. Maybe above flint but I like flint more right now.

Can’t see Owen sound, Kitchener, sarnia, Ssm above them, I think Windsor also will be below them but Windsor should score a LOT of goals (while probably letting in a lot too lol) that leaves them with the 4 or 5 with Windsor as my wind card

It's a good opportunity for the younger guys to show what they can do.
Belchetz should have some fun

Reactions: OHLTG

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I think they’re in the 4-6 range personally. Don’t think Guelph finishes above London, Saginaw or Erie. Maybe above flint but I like flint more right now.

Can’t see Owen sound, Kitchener, sarnia, Ssm above them, I think Windsor also will be below them but Windsor should score a LOT of goals (while probably letting in a lot too lol) that leaves them with the 4 or 5 with Windsor as my wind card

We were talking about this at camp. The West is kind of wide open right now, which isn't a bad thing. London top two, likely, but beyond that... who knows?

Belchetz should have some fun

I'm very curious as to what he does in a real game. He made it look so easy in camp, we were kind of shaking our heads when he scored. "of course he did that..."

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
We were talking about this at camp. The West is kind of wide open right now, which isn't a bad thing. London top two, likely, but beyond that... who knows?

I'm very curious as to what he does in a real game. He made it look so easy in camp, we were kind of shaking our heads when he scored. "of course he did that..."
I view London and Erie as the class of the conference. Best total rosters. After that I totally agree. Not confident about putting any other team 3rd.

Even works the other way where I think the Soo might be a team that misses, but don't really feel super strong about it & there's a clump of teams that might battle it out all year from 4-9.

Sort of a youth movement year it feels like for a lot of teams.

Reactions: OHLTG and dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Id still like to see another D man. Guy with a couple years exp. Maybe needs a scenery change but with more than a year left. Imho 3 guys are small and offence driven, and i think thats 1 to many.
I can think of a couple of teams in the east that will need to move 2006-07 LD picked in rounds 3-4 to create roster space for the big addition and/or early picked '08.

Reactions: Teflon

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The Guelph D is a bit young, but with one decent vet it could be quite good

Reactions: ohloutsider

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Even works the other way where I think the Soo might be a team that misses, but don't really feel super strong about it & there's a clump of teams that might battle it out all year from 4-9.

It feels like a year where we all make our predictions, then laugh at the end seeing how wrong we were. I'm even having a hard time figuring out Windsor because of all of the variables.

Reactions: StingUpdates

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
It feels like a year where we all make our predictions, then laugh at the end seeing how wrong we were. I'm even having a hard time figuring out Windsor because of all of the variables.
I view Windsor as a team that's gonna score probably as much as anyone in the conference if not right there with the top producing teams. Especially if Nesbitt can take a step & if Belchetz is an immediate impact player which seems likely.

Biggest things is D/G like last yr. Another yr older for some + Mathurin should help in itself. Then a better coach should help. But if Costanzo doesn't bounce back it's all for not.

My guess is they compete for a top 5 seed, but will say their floor might be a bit lower then a lot of teams with the uncertainty on D & in net because that can completely ruin a season.

Reactions: oldPeng and OHLTG

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
D and uncertainty in net definitely drops my expectations. Offense I think of 07 with Hall, Henrique Ellis but we had a proven experienced goalie and much tighter physical D I think we may outscore or defensive issues until Xmas break and then struggle as other teams tighten and load up.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
D and uncertainty in net definitely drops my expectations. Offense I think of 07 with Hall, Henrique Ellis but we had a proven experienced goalie and much tighter physical D I think we may outscore or defensive issues until Xmas break and then struggle as other teams tighten and load up.
Common issues or concerns year after year..

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Random Tuesday evening thing but the club has released the new heights/weights...

D:

Woodall is up from 170 to 183.
Cristoforo from 5'11 191 to 6' 180.
Winegard from 221 to 226
Lavigne from 200 to 213

G:

Costanzo down from 180 to 174
Froggett from 6'3 206 to 6'4 215

F:

Spellacy up from 195 to 204
Morneau up from 160 to 182
(Gaymes is an odd one... so leaving him out for now)
Belchetz down from 230 to 226
Greentree from 6'2 198 to 6'3 216
Davis from 175 to 184
Outwater from 168 to 187
Protas from 6'4 196 to 6'5 200
Garden from 160 to 166
Lemieux 6' 181 to 5'11 176

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Random Tuesday evening thing but the club has released the new heights/weights...

D:

Woodall is up from 170 to 183.
Cristoforo from 5'11 191 to 6' 180.
Winegard from 221 to 226
Lavigne from 200 to 213

G:

Costanzo down from 180 to 174
Froggett from 6'3 206 to 6'4 215

F:

Spellacy up from 195 to 204
Morneau up from 160 to 182
(Gaymes is an odd one... so leaving him out for now)
Belchetz down from 230 to 226
Greentree from 6'2 198 to 6'3 216
Davis from 175 to 184
Outwater from 168 to 187
Protas from 6'4 196 to 6'5 200
Garden from 160 to 166
Lemieux 6' 181 to 5'11 176
I'm assuming Lemieux's numbers are backwards? I've never seen a 16 yr old shrink!

I like others have concerns with G&D and also coaching that group. My predictions are based on year end results. I like others think the Spits will show well early. I just have a gut feeling that Bowler will address the G&d issue if this team shows signs of being in the division race. He needs to save face after last year's debacle. Another bad year and he will be hearing footsteps. Not the right move for the Spits but Bowler has to produce a winner now especially with his new coaching staff.
Goalies results are helped with solid D. I don't think Bowler is done there. Time will tell.

Reactions: windsor7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad