Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If Windsor doesn't have him can't really trade him.
To be honest if he were here I would want to move him.

Why would you want to move him if returned? Or is it him that would want to be moved and you think Spits should accommodate him if requested?
Can't see them getting full value if he is returned n they immediately put him on the available board.
What would the expected return be?

Reactions: LDN

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Why would you want to move him if returned? Or is it him that would want to be moved and you think Spits should accommodate him if requested?
Can't see them getting full value if he is returned n they immediately put him on the available board.
New Foudy in a Knights uniform would be nice

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
If he returned, I'd wait until the deadline to trade him. See how he adjusts to the league, to the Spits, and to his new linemates. If you deal him right away, it kind of feels like a "sell low" thing.

I agree, it's why I asked HL why he would rather move him if returned and the expected return.
I didn't see him much (outside vs London) but wasn't super impressed when I did but definitely may have missed something with very limited views.
Would he need certain type linemates to excel as opposed to driving a line and making linemates better?

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

I have a feeling that he wants to be moved.
Windsor might feel the same way
That being said like OHLTG said if he were to return and with the attitude of team 1st I would be open to see what occurs.
I feel he needs to improve in many areas to be ready for the pros,questions are is he ready and does he even realize what the shortcomings are and improve.

Reactions: OHLTG

Savard18

Feb 10, 2015
Flint, MI
Didn’t Flint do ok with Kole Sherwood under similar circumstances? Seems like I’m missing another big-time kid that got traded immediately upon return to the OHL. I don’t see why Windsor would trade him right now though. They’ve got the collateral to be contenders if things shake out right?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I agree, it's why I asked HL why he would rather move him if returned and the expected return.
I didn't see him much (outside vs London) but wasn't super impressed when I did but definitely may have missed something with very limited views.
Would he need certain type linemates to excel as opposed to driving a line and making linemates better?

He needs creative linemates, guys who can get open and finish off plays. In his rookie season, the "I'll skate through the team" approach worked and was fun to watch. You never knew when he was going to whip a pass and they'd score. However, in 2019-20, the OHL figured out his ways and someone was guarding him at all times. He'd circle the zone over-and-over-and-over again, often giving up the puck or being forced to shoot. There's a reason his assist totals dropped significantly. Plus, I'd argue that a hit in Owen Sound in January (I think?) 2020 affected him for the rest of the season. His game wasn't the same. If he's healthy and can adjust now that the league knows his ways, the potential is intriguing. But... I'm not convinced those are happening. This is why I say that, if he comes back, wait until the deadline. See how he adjusts to the league, his team, and his linemates. Put him with Cuylle, who he was with in his rookie season, and let them do their thing.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I have a feeling that he wants to be moved.
Windsor might feel the same way
That being said like OHLTG said if he were to return and with the attitude of team 1st I would be open to see what occurs.
I feel he needs to improve in many areas to be ready for the pros,questions are is he ready and does he even realize what the shortcomings are and improve.

I will read between the lines lol. TY

Travis Bickle 77

Feb 11, 2020
If Foudy was to return I am also in the camp of wait until the deadline, gotta let this season play out more.

Reactions: LDN

member 71782

Foudy needs someone who can keep up to him. Everyone knows he's fast but the problem is linemates who don't slow him down. If he has someone on his wing(s) who can match his speed and as OHLTG ssid be creative in getting open he becomes a weapon again.

Last season played he was given the room to enter the zone but not to get to the net. He doesn't have the shot to enter the zone and get a nice hard shot off that has a chance to get by the goaltender.

When Foudy tries to put a pass where a trailer is going the trailer usually isn't quick enough to get there in time. If Foudy tries to put a bit closer it's either picked off or ends up behind the trailing player.

When he has possession in the offensive zone he skates around until he gets forced out of the zone. He's creative enough to avoid most checks with the puck so defenders just keep expanding their coverage until he has no where left in the zone to skate. Once he's out of the zone he ends up losing possession waiting for his team mates to clear the zone.

If he had a decent shot he would be better as the speedy winger taking the pass. He doesn't so as a playmaking centre he needs the speedy winger who can be just as creative getting open as he is holding the puck looking for an open player.

With so many rookies in the league there's lots for him to exploit in terms of inexperienced opponents but without someone to be there to take a pass he's just skating in circles waiting. He can put a pass through traffic but needs someone to get around that traffic in time to receive that pass.

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Foudy needs someone who can keep up to him. Everyone knows he's fast but the problem is linemates who don't slow him down. If he has someone on his wing(s) who can match his speed and as OHLTG ssid be creative in getting open he becomes a weapon again.

Last season played he was given the room to enter the zone but not to get to the net. He doesn't have the shot to enter the zone and get a nice hard shot off that has a chance to get by the goaltender.

When Foudy tries to put a pass where a trailer is going the trailer usually isn't quick enough to get there in time. If Foudy tries to put a bit closer it's either picked off or ends up behind the trailing player.

When he has possession in the offensive zone he skates around until he gets forced out of the zone. He's creative enough to avoid most checks with the puck so defenders just keep expanding their coverage until he has no where left in the zone to skate. Once he's out of the zone he ends up losing possession waiting for his team mates to clear the zone.

If he had a decent shot he would be better as the speedy winger taking the pass. He doesn't so as a playmaking centre he needs the speedy winger who can be just as creative getting open as he is holding the puck looking for an open player.

With so many rookies in the league there's lots for him to exploit in terms of inexperienced opponents but without someone to be there to take a pass he's just skating in circles waiting. He can put a pass through traffic but needs someone to get around that traffic in time to receive that pass.
I think Maggio or Zito fit the bill for the speed issue just not sure they have the "finish" with the high speed zone entry. Cuylle is not going to fit the speed game but the 2 would work well together on the PP. I'm also in the camp with wait until the TD for the best price but is this a thing or just "wishful" thinking by some? Kid has set up a home and likely pays rent. Not seeing him willingly giving that up to come back to a "nonpaying" league.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think Maggio or Zito fit the bill for the speed issue just not sure they have the "finish" with the high speed zone entry. Cuylle is not going to fit the speed game but the 2 would work well together on the PP. I'm also in the camp with wait until the TD for the best price but is this a thing or just "wishful" thinking by some? Kid has set up a home and likely pays rent. Not seeing him willingly giving that up to come back to a "nonpaying" league.

That kid also signed a 3 year entry level deal which included 70,000 per year bonus for signing whether he plays in NHL ,AHL or not.
Guessing because of definitive playing status unknown, probably rooming with others, month to month basis thinking money non issue at this time,yeah it would sting to lose 70,000 minor league money,but if he wants to make more moving forward a step backward, a step that is needed,might just play into things,would hate to see a 3 yr deal the only thing he would get and at age 22 looking for work.

member 71782

Maggio has improved but as you said, can he finish? Is he also creative enough? It's one thing to keep up with him and Maggio is probably a step or two quicker than most on the team but it's another to anticipate Foudy's style.

Remember the last season they played, you had Foudy, Cuylle then a new addition from the fourth line every weekend for a while. McDonald, Zito and Maggio got their shots before Johnston probably did the best.

Foudy and Cuylle are familiar with how the other plays, if he returned I would keep them together but I would look to deal for a speedy winger to add to them if they are in contention. Someone just as fast and creative with a decent shot. Foudy and a similar addition could make for big changes up front and solve some of this team's offensive woes but Foudy alone, while it would help wouldn't be the final piece needed for this forward group.

I'm more leary of him potentially returning but others, beyond Legend seem to think it's likely so with myself not having any source or simply watching I only have an opinion that's not based on anything. Others obviously will have a better idea. If returned I'm not in a rush to see him moved. If Windsor is out if contention or Foudy doesn't want to be here then yes, move him at the deadline but they're contenders that's a big piece to add for free while there are still other holes to fill. I think he makes Windsor a better team this year but he's not THE missing piece(s).

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
He needs creative linemates, guys who can get open and finish off plays. In his rookie season, the "I'll skate through the team" approach worked and was fun to watch. You never knew when he was going to whip a pass and they'd score. However, in 2019-20, the OHL figured out his ways and someone was guarding him at all times. He'd circle the zone over-and-over-and-over again, often giving up the puck or being forced to shoot. There's a reason his assist totals dropped significantly. Plus, I'd argue that a hit in Owen Sound in January (I think?) 2020 affected him for the rest of the season. His game wasn't the same. If he's healthy and can adjust now that the league knows his ways, the potential is intriguing. But... I'm not convinced those are happening. This is why I say that, if he comes back, wait until the deadline. See how he adjusts to the league, his team, and his linemates. Put him with Cuylle, who he was with in his rookie season, and let them do their thing.

Maybe he shouldn't hold onto the puck as much and he might not of suffered that hit.
Circling the net 2 or 3 times recipe to get hurt.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
I don’t think anyone guards him. They all know he is going to skate around trying to find a passing lane so essentially there are 4 spits trying to get open with 5 guys defending them. Foudy needed to shoot alot more so the opposing team would have to cover him. Why waste a guy covering him if you know he only wants to pass?

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Thanks Rayzor lol. No I’m not looking to move Savard but I have questions about his drive. He’s no dummy, let’s see him get creative and motivate this bunch!!!
I to believe Foudy isn’t sure he wants to come back to Windsor, I believe that’s the hold up why he’s not back yet. I’m not sold on his abilities yet and I’d certainly move him if the right deal was there. But let me be clear, it would not be to the green team!!!
I’m a bit perplexed by the chatter here, yes the forwards need some work as do special teams. Those I believe are fixable with the current players. The problem is on the back end guys, been preaching this for some time. This team needs 2 D men, I’d start with at least 1 from Owen sound. The harder fix may be IF you need to replace X. He’s not getting it done and I’m not sure anyone knows why.

Reactions: windsor7

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Didn’t Flint do ok with Kole Sherwood under similar circumstances? Seems like I’m missing another big-time kid that got traded immediately upon return to the OHL. I don’t see why Windsor would trade him right now though. They’ve got the collateral to be contenders if things shake out right?
My ? Was based on a Spits follower suggesting he would rather Foudy flipped if returned.
Glad Sherwood worked out in Flint. I feel for that franchsise Lots of unexpected hurdles to say the least. Hoping for them to take a step forward into 2nd/3rd rd n see how the community responds!

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

Same as what I thought I saw in his game with the 10 or so viewings. Ty for detail.

Reactions: member 71782
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad