Windsor Spitfires 2021-22 Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

I guard the door

Sep 16, 2019
Am I the only one who hates the back pass on the power play? They gain momentum crossing the red line and then give it up by passing it back into their own end so that they can start over

Reactions: member 71782

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Am I the only one who hates the back pass on the power play? They gain momentum crossing the red line and then give it up by passing it back into their own end so that they can start over
No you aren't the only one that hates it. It also kills the PP time. Everything develops slower because the rest of the team is standing at the blueline.

Reactions: member 71782

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Cfaub

Must admit I am surprised you would
stick up for a player who to date with 40 AHL games has 3G,14A -23 , highest minus on the team,underage,was underwhelming here in his 2nd year and you think he belongs in the AHL
5th highest scoring Center on the team
Numbers dont lie
92 points in total in 2 years,with high minus numbers overall,11 goal average per year ,you have to admit I know of very few if any would belong in the AHL if not for the special rule that doesn't affect 54 teams in CHL let alone normal times.

Have you watched a game(s) Foudy has played in this year? Just trying to apply context to your statements.
Last post I had got deleted when I asked ?s. Odd lol.
Hopefully this isn't scene as offensive, it's just a ?.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Have you watched a game(s) Foudy has played in this year? Just trying to apply context to your statements.
Last post I had got deleted when I asked ?s. Odd lol.
Hopefully this isn't scene as offensive, it's just a ?.

Yes I have watched about 1/2 his games not impressed, weak defensively, starting see less ice time,very high minus worst on team, weak on the puck,we all know he can skate frustrating, not being productive doesn't help.
He needs further development, me thinks an obscure agreement is the only reason he is in the AHL.
If he belonged there I would say so despite the rule,he doesn't.

Reactions: aresknights

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Frustrating loss,after the best period of the season and coming out of it leading only 1-0,should have been 3 or 4,great goaltending by Cajan and the goalposts 2 of them,I had a feeling it could bite them in the ass and it did in the 2nd. While I am not going to fault Downey needed a big save in the 2nd and didn't get it,Kitchener scored 3 Windsor only 1
shots were 34-13 after 2 and Windsor was trailing, snakebit the 1st 2 periods
Early goal in third by Kitchener made it 4 and it was all she wrote.
A penalty shot goal
by Wyatt Johnston late made it 4-3
Rangers scored twice into an empty net,1 being shorthanded with seconds left.
Downey allowd 4 goals on this night,not going to fault him for the loss,always say when goalie from other team faces 40 plus shots and is named 1st star,usually your team didn't play a bad game, think this was the case for the most part.
Special teams still a problem, just 1 for 5 on the PP,Kitchener goes 1 for 3 on their PP
Still say and I know it's a minority opinion, when deciding starting goalies you decide who was hot against them if you played such team a week earlier and that was Medina not the rookie,like I wrote earlier not blaming Downey for the loss solely, and if Windsor were playing anyone else but Kitchener I was 100 per cent in favour of Downey starting, this case no Medina would have been my starter.
Too bad we will never know if things would have been different.
The Spits home loss was their 1st in regulation since opening night vs Sarnia.
They were 2-0-0-1 going in, shootout loss to London.
Spits now 2-2-1 in last 5,go on the road to Flint Wednesday, wouldn't surprise me if Medina gets the start.
Also please no more 8 D dressed, even though Jodoin played upfront, actually one of a few who actually finished with a plus,
a +1 on the night.
Of course when an empty netter is scored every one gets dinged and that happened twice late,so the numbers get skewered.
That being said I have no problem going with 7D and 11F, especially when schedule is light no back to backs,but 8 no,no and no.

member 71782

Frustrating loss,after the best period of the season and coming out of it leading only 1-0,should have been 3 or 4,great goaltending by Cajan and the goalposts 2 of them,I had a feeling it could bite them in the ass and it did in the 2nd. While I am not going to fault Downey needed a big save in the 2nd and didn't get it,Kitchener scored 3 Windsor only 1
shots were 34-13 after 2 and Windsor was trailing, snakebit the 1st 2 periods
Early goal in third by Kitchener made it 4 and it was all she wrote.
A penalty shot goal
by Wyatt Johnston late made it 4-3
Rangers scored twice into an empty net,1 being shorthanded with seconds left.
Downey allowd 4 goals on this night,not going to fault him for the loss,always say when goalie from other team faces 40 plus shots and is named 1st star,usually your team didn't play a bad game, think this was the case for the most part.
Special teams still a problem, just 1 for 5 on the PP,Kitchener goes 1 for 3 on their PP
Still say and I know it's a minority opinion, when deciding starting goalies you decide who was hot against them if you played such team a week earlier and that was Medina not the rookie,like I wrote earlier not blaming Downey for the loss solely, and if Windsor were playing anyone else but Kitchener I was 100 per cent in favour of Downey starting, this case no Medina would have been my starter.
Too bad we will never know if things would have been different.
The Spits home loss was their 1st in regulation since opening night vs Sarnia.
They were 2-0-0-1 going in, shootout loss to London.
Spits now 2-2-1 in last 5,go on the road to Flint Wednesday, wouldn't surprise me if Medina gets the start.
Also please no more 8 D dressed, even though Jodoin played upfront, actually one of a few who actually finished with a plus,
a +1 on the night.
Of course when an empty netter is scored every one gets dinged and that happened twice late,so the numbers get skewered.
That being said I have no problem going with 7D and 11F, especially when schedule is light no back to backs,but 8 no,no and no.

Legend

I agree with parts of this, best first period of the year,Cajan etc.

I disagree with starting Medina over Downey. Playing well against a team a week ago is no indication of doing so in the next game. Think shootout versus London then giving up five goals versus London.

I was fine with Downey's play for the most part. The team fell apart and were scrambling in their own end when Kitchener applied any type of pressure. Too many sloppy one handed pass attempts, too many stick check attempts while not within reach of their opponent, too many missed opportunities to clear the zone and too many Kitchener players left open at the side of the net.

Cajan played well and kept Kitchener in the game in the first. Windsor fell apart for the first half of the second and lost the game.

I said before this game that regardless of how Downey played you go back to Medina for the next game and give him a chance to play the next four in a row to prove he's the starter. All the pressure to keep that role has to be on his shoulders. If he shits the bed again, not just an off game then you immediately go back to Downey and if he earns it give him a chance at the next three in a row before Medina gets his final chance to remain the clear number one.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Legend

I agree with parts of this, best first period of the year,Cajan etc.

I disagree with starting Medina over Downey. Playing well against a team a week ago is no indication of doing so in the next game. Think shootout versus London then giving up five goals versus London.

I was fine with Downey's play for the most part. The team fell apart and were scrambling in their own end when Kitchener applied any type of pressure. Too many sloppy one handed pass attempts, too many stick check attempts while not within reach of their opponent, too many missed opportunities to clear the zone and too many Kitchener players left open at the side of the net.

Cajan played well and kept Kitchener in the game in the first. Windsor fell apart for the first half of the second and lost the game.

I said before this game that regardless of how Downey played you go back to Medina for the next game and give him a chance to play the next four in a row to prove he's the starter. All the pressure to keep that role has to be on his shoulders. If he shits the bed again, not just an off game then you immediately go back to Downey and if he earns it give him a chance at the next three in a row before Medina gets his final chance to remain the clear number one.

Cfaub

Agree with some parts of what you wrote,I am guessing if Cajan who played great the week before against Windsor in his shootout win didnt start for Kitchener last night its unlikely the other goalie would have stood on his head like Cajan did last night.
I knew when Kitchener started their other goalie Friday at home vs SSM and got beat Cajan would start,guess we will never know.
As for Medina starting next 4,not willing to give him that much rope,if he sucks against Flint, I go back to Downey vs Erie on the Saturday and go from there.
Btw if Windsor had started Medina Saturday win or lose I would have started Downey at Flint,for his 1st road start.

Last edited:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Windsor with the loss.
Lots of shots on net.
Downey played well. Though suffered the loss.
Defense not good again.
Team gets tired by 3rd. Not enough forwards. Bowler??????
Pulled the goalie way to early.
Pp looked a bit better. Still needs work. Needs to be more simple.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Windsor with the loss.
Lots of shots on net.
Downey played well. Though suffered the loss.
Defense not good again.
Team gets tired by 3rd. Not enough forwards. Bowler??????
Pulled the goalie way to early.
Pp looked a bit better. Still needs work. Needs to be more simple.

Windsor 7

Firstly I wouldn't say Downey played well,ok yes,reason for losing no,not only did Windsor have lots of shots,lots of great saves by opposing goalie,didn't lose because of lack of chances
I saw no fatigue in the 3rd
Re the forwards,like I said before no problem going with 11F,7D when not playing a heavy schedule back to back or 3 in 4 but not 10F,8D
As for acquiring a forward or signing one can see that happening dont see a rush because of schedule even for the next 2 weeks,just dont sit one,after that especially with Peer out 4-5 weeks yes bring 1 in.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
I know patience is required, especially if the new coaches are trying to change an old culture.

IMO, Savard has to demand more of his players. It seems that each player has his own agenda, and shooting and trying to score is their top criteria. Many team goals do not seem important. PP and PK are out of order, passing is far from good enough......the hype is gone, and the team is almost in LAST place!

Disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!

member 71782

Cfaub

Agree with some parts of what you wrote,I am guessing if Cajan who played great the week before against Windsor in his shootout win didnt start for Kitchener last night its unlikely the other goalie would have stood on his head like Cajan did last night.
I knew when Kitchener started their other goalie Friday at home vs SSM and got beat Cajan would start,guess we will never know.
As for Medina starting next 4,not willing to give him that much rope,if he sucks against Flint, I go back to Downey vs Erie on the Saturday and go from there.
Btw if Windsor had started Medina Saturday win or lose I would have started Downey at Flint,for his 1st road start.

They said on the broadcast Kitchener has been splitting their goalies every other game.

Can't say for sure but if that's the case Cajan was next one up yesterday.

As for Medina starting the next four games as long as he's the starter you have to be prepared to give him four games while giving Downey one out of every five. He's a rookie that's expected to be a back up all year so he needs experience before the deadline when Medina likely starts increasing his starts.

If there's already concerns over Medina not being able to get the job done then Bowler needs to act now. This team is already in a hole. If they want to contend they need to act. They can't allow this hole to get deeper. A 17 year old rookie can't be given the role of turning around the team either.

Windsor's not even a .500 team right now and there's eight games to the quarter mark. With Flint and Erie not expected to be in the top half of the conference hopefully they can regroup and chalk up a couple of wins.

Reactions: windsor7

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
They said on the broadcast Kitchener has been splitting their goalies every other game.

Can't say for sure but if that's the case Cajan was next one up yesterday.

As for Medina starting the next four games as long as he's the starter you have to be prepared to give him four games while giving Downey one out of every five. He's a rookie that's expected to be a back up all year so he needs experience before the deadline when Medina likely starts increasing his starts.

If there's already concerns over Medina not being able to get the job done then Bowler needs to act now. This team is already in a hole. If they want to contend they need to act. They can't allow this hole to get deeper. A 17 year old rookie can't be given the role of turning around the team either.

Windsor's not even a .500 team right now and there's eight games to the quarter mark. With Flint and Erie not expected to be in the top half of the conference hopefully they can regroup and chalk up a couple of wins.

Cfaub

Another reason I don't want to give Medina 4 games in a row is that there will be 18 days from today that Downey would be considered going Thursday the 18th,too long of a layoff imo,especially if Medina plays poorly in 2 of them or more,for me he starts Wednesday, if Windsor wins he plays next Saturday at home,loses depending on how and if,a shootout I stick with him,a bad outing might go right back to Downey.

nelli27

May 21, 2011
London, Ontario
RE: Foudy.
Just my opinion, but I agree with Legend here. There's no evidence to suggest Foudy's development is enhanced by being with the AHL club. Let him return to the O (or perhaps assign him to ECHL) and flourish, gain confidence. I know the overall talent is somewhat watered down by the double cohort rookies but he's gaining little at the next level/AHL. Windsor could keep him or ship him out, that's up to the coach/GM.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I know patience is required, especially if the new coaches are trying to change an old culture.

IMO, Savard has to demand more of his players. It seems that each player has his own agenda, and shooting and trying to score is their top criteria. Many team goals do not seem important. PP and PK are out of order, passing is far from good enough......the hype is gone, and the team is almost in LAST place!

Disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!

I think Savard is finally starting to realize the roster that he has. Unfortunately this team just has a bunch of guys and don't have a bunch of dudes. When you have Medina who hasn't been good and a young goalie finding his way with D that aren't great it's not a recipe for a great team. BTW Mike McKenzie on Twitter is hilarious I can see why his players ball out for him.

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I'm not hanging that game on Downey either. Came out great in the first period. Yes, ran into a hot goalie. Bottom line the reason we struggle is the lack of success on the powerplay and the terrible penalty killing. We gave up too many back door tap in opportunities. Our top 3 defensemen have been not our best so far in Ladd, Henualt and Sobolev while Jodoin, Renwick, DeAngelis are plus players. I realize the latter 3 play way less minutes but when they do play, they obviously hold their own. Birkett leading the team with plus 3 with a mainly defensive role and D'Amico our worst forward at -6.
One of the challenges I see on the powerplay is we have not had defensemen establish themselves as having a wicked shot. A shot where players cringe getting in front of it. A shot that gets through and we have the opportunity for a tip or a rebound in front of the net. The passing seems teletyped and predictable for the most part. When the one timer shots miss they often rebound clear of the offensive zone with little chance of a rebound opportunity because the high angle from the sides. We seldom have players covering both sides of the boards at the Blue line. It seems teams have little problem dumping the puck out of their zone. It seems we spend too much time fetching pucks from our zone and then we have serious issues gaining control in the offensive zone.
Overall we have a serious lack of scoring threat from the Blue line. I am not talking rushing in and constantly getting out of position, I am talking good hard shot from the Blue line 5 on 5 and the powerplay. I took a look at our veteran defensemen OHL career regular season and playoff goals. Pretty humble numbers.
Ladd 4
Henualt 7 (yes that includes the hat trick this year)
Renwick 4
Ribau 3
Compare that with Corcoran 40 (had 19 in covid shortened season alone)
Ryan Ellis 91 yes he was Ryan Ellis but I needed to be reminded of a top defensemen's production who still played excellent D
Maybe Ride or DeAngelis or Ribau can establish themselves as having a shot. We could really use a hard shot Defensemen IMO

member 71782

Disappointing!!!!!!!!!!!

I can certainly understand the frustration, more has to be expected of this team.

In terms of a shoot first mentality I don't really have a problem with that. Boughner had a goal of 20 shots a period when this team was winning titles. Any shot on net is a chance. The problem I have is the poor passing when there is no shot at the net but two other players with a shot are open.

Not a fan of the PP.

First unit with Henault and Cuylle at the blue line struggles to keep it in the zone. Cuylle should be your scoring threat and because teams see him like that they play up high taking away passing/shooting lanes and creating turnovers.

I would completely rework the first PP.

Cuylle, Johnston, MacDonald up front with Miedema and Ribau covering the points.

Windsor has no PP QB, Henault is not one.

What the hell is Ladd, the least offensive D on the team doing on the second PP?

I would put Ribau with Johnston on the first one to go along with Cuylle, McDonald and Miedema. Let Johnston QB while Ribau just has to worry about making good, clean passes. Put Cuylle down low for one timers with in front tipping in shots at the net while taking away the goalies view. Set up with three high, Miedem and Johnston can put shots on the net or move up down the wall to keep things moving.

Second PP

I would try De Angelis and Renwick on the blue line. De Angelis has offensive potential, potential to be a PP QB while Renwick covers for him with some offensive upside.

Up front would have D'Amico, Zito and Maggio. D'Amico and Zito stir things up in front/to the sides of the net. Maggio controls the puck better than he used to so between him and De Angelis they set things up and get pucks to the net.

The main thing is putting more pucks on net with traffic in front cleaning up rebounds or taking away the goaltenders view.

Probably goes against the views of most on here but what they're doing now isn't working well and players strengths are not being used while seniority is getting priority even though they can't get the job done. We've seen that show before and not a fan of it.

The PK, don't know what to say about that. Time to teach defensive responsibility and have only one player looking to rush the puck up before it's out of the zone.

member 71782

Cfaub

Another reason I don't want to give Medina 4 games in a row is that there will be 18 days from today that Downey would be considered going Thursday the 18th,too long of a layoff imo,especially if Medina plays poorly in 2 of them or more,for me he starts Wednesday, if Windsor wins he plays next Saturday at home,loses depending on how and if,a shootout I stick with him,a bad outing might go right back to Downey.

Maybe I wasn't being clear but what you said is basically what I said about Medina. I would limit him at four just to establish a somewhat consistent rotation for Downey.

Anytime he has a really bad outing then go immediately to Downey the next game and reward him with up to three starts in a row based on how each start goes before going back to Nedina.

If Downey reaches four starts in a row he is either the starter or you ride whoever is hot.

I agree the long layoff between games wouldn't be ideal but currently as the back up that's part of the role. How long did he go between his last exhibition start and his first start after the London game?

If they are going to contend you want your starter in as much as possible. Having a rookie back up isn't ideal as he needs development time to fill the role if needed but a back up has to be ready to whenever they're needed.

If Downey needs to come in to start because Medina had a rough game then Medina's time here at least as the starter is probably up. Having to use a lot of assets on a starter with at least three other needs to fill is far from ideal and adding a starter but no one else would be a huge waste of assets just like filling three other spots without upgrading a struggling starter would be as well.

Bowler has his work cut out for him.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Maybe I wasn't being clear but what you said is basically what I said about Medina. I would limit him at four just to establish a somewhat consistent rotation for Downey.

Anytime he has a really bad outing then go immediately to Downey the next game and reward him with up to three starts in a row based on how each start goes before going back to Nedina.

If Downey reaches four starts in a row he is either the starter or you ride whoever is hot.

I agree the long layoff between games wouldn't be ideal but currently as the back up that's part of the role. How long did he go between his last exhibition start and his first start after the London game?

If they are going to contend you want your starter in as much as possible. Having a rookie back up isn't ideal as he needs development time to fill the role if needed but a back up has to be ready to whenever they're needed.

If Downey needs to come in to start because Medina had a rough game then Medina's time here at least as the starter is probably up. Having to use a lot of assets on a starter with at least three other needs to fill is far from ideal and adding a starter but no one else would be a huge waste of assets just like filling three other spots without upgrading a struggling starter would be as well.

Bowler has his work cut out for him.

Good post, with all the struggles talking about PP or PK or offense defense, new coach etc.. The only guy escaping any blame is Bowler. At some point we need to have a discussion about Bowler. This is his team, his vision, his players and what he wants. People were waxing about Bowler and his drafting but there's more to a GM than just drafting. Time for Bowler to step up as well because they aren't going to draw more than 3000 fans if it's an average product at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad