Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyCartier73

May 30, 2019
Windsor
Bill Bowler announced as new GM.
Certainly bigger news than Rafkin who I expect to sign at some point. When the Cypher Systems Group came into the fold several years ago you had a feeling it could happen at some point. Didn't think it would take this long. Best of luck to Bill Bowler and congratulations. He had his critics but 3 Memorial Cups under Warren Rychel. Not too shabby!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
You must spend a lot of time sitting in a barren field, everyone else new this was coming for awhile:)

The field has rhubarb; I can't complain!

Let's be honest - we had it good with WR. We went from nearly moving the club to three MC titles. Were there struggles? Yes. Did he make mistakes? Yes. Were we very lucky to have him? Yes. He put his heart and soul into this club, loved what he did, and hopefully he finds a position in the NHL. Bowler has a tall task ahead of him but it should be interesting to see how he does. From what I've seen, he's a much quieter personality than WR. Is that good or bad? I don't know. He knows his stuff, though, so here's hoping it's a smooth transition.

TheGremlin

May 23, 2018
Somewhere
Its about time. Now let the real fun begin. Hopefully things are on the up swing. I can’t see it getting worse but in sports you just never know.

Reactions: Sec108

GBFP

Sep 24, 2009
I guess no NHL gig was offered (post draft scouting staff shake-ups) to give WR a soft exit and this couldn't wait any longer so he "retired". It was never a possibility he'd stay on with the Cypher take-over.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
The field has rhubarb; I can't complain!

Let's be honest - we had it good with WR. We went from nearly moving the club to three MC titles. Were there struggles? Yes. Did he make mistakes? Yes. Were we very lucky to have him? Yes. He put his heart and soul into this club, loved what he did, and hopefully he finds a position in the NHL. Bowler has a tall task ahead of him but it should be interesting to see how he does. From what I've seen, he's a much quieter personality than WR. Is that good or bad? I don't know. He knows his stuff, though, so here's hoping it's a smooth transition.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Its about time. Now let the real fun begin. Hopefully things are on the up swing. I can’t see it getting worse but in sports you just never know.

Hopefully the pr department smartens up or there wont be many fans actually watching hockey this year.

member 71782

So Bowler in and Rychel out.

As one of Rychel's harsher critics on here I can't say I am completely disappointed in him being gone but the timing IMO is wrong.

With all that's gone on this off season and the public statements about stabilizing things they keep a coaching staff that most of the fanbase wants to see changed then remove the GM that most of the fanbase wants to see stay. Replace him with someone who has not accomplished anything significant at the lower levels but is a loyal employee of the Cypher group, at least in the hockey area and that certainly doesn't resemble anything remotely stable for the fanbase but certainly stability in terms of having someone who won't question anything the Cypher group wants done regardless of the benefit or lack of benefit it may bring to the on ice product.

It's all about building a return on an eventual sale IMO and quite frankly that can't come soon enough. The last proposed sale was definitely the wrong group but the restructuring of this ownership wasn't any better.

Will we see a better product on the ice this year? Probably, but that product is still based on what's already transpired.

Will we see appropriate moves to improve the product? I doubt it. We should see a team competitive enough to get out of the first round and not much more. Moves will be made to add financial value for a potential sale but not likely moves that will add value for the fanbase.

All my opinion of course but these changes have done very little to inspire any confidence going forward.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
With all that's gone on this off season and the public statements about stabilizing things they keep a coaching staff that most of the fanbase wants to see changed then remove the GM that most of the fanbase wants to see stay. Replace him with someone who has not accomplished anything significant at the lower levels but is a loyal employee of the Cypher group, at least in the hockey area and that certainly doesn't resemble anything remotely stable for the fanbase but certainly stability in terms of having someone who won't question anything the Cypher group wants done regardless of the benefit or lack of benefit it may bring to the on ice product.

i never really thought about that but your right. the vipers are always a good team, but they dont have the success that teams like elmira and listowel have. really if its merit based its hard not to say someone like jason brooks isnt a better candidate if were talking jr b success.

i have zero doubt that there will be changes in the staff as they are always is and im not sure thats a bad thing, depending on who goes. i know some of the guys with titles have been looking around for other work, not sure if thats out of loyalty to rychel or they have been told they are not in the plans moving forward. interesting times ahead

Cherrydon

Jan 4, 2019
WINDSOR
I posted in the past that something was up when Bowler was present for the signings this year. Hopefully all players that signed were aware of this change coming. Hate to get a reputation of bait and switch. I believe they were probably told prior to signing. Timing is only now because like others spoke, no imminent NHL offer at present or possibly waited for board of governors to officially approve ownership restructuring. Either way needed to be settled prior to things moving ahead in August. Suspect no signing of Rafkin until he settles here in August as he was in Finland posting pics from a carnival he was at 3 days ago. Ps BB can either be Bob Bougner or Bill Bowler so us posters must be specific on who we are addressing lol

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Suspect no signing of Rafkin until he settles here in August as he was in Finland posting pics from a carnival he was at 3 days ago.

I saw that earlier; not surprised he hasn't signed yet. Lots of time.

I would also have to think that this deal isn't anywhere near a secret within the organization in that players knew about it long ago.

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
Bowler taking over as GM = Worst kept secret in Essex County! As for WR he will land some where. Be it a scouting position with an NHL team, or GM of a AHL team...who know's. Looking forward to the upcoming season.....baseball is just not cutting it !!

Reactions: Earlofpoundcake

Teflon

Jan 6, 2018
Soooo. The cats outta the bag! This is a move by the savages. It saves them money and frankly gets the other big pain in the ass ( savage isn’t a fan of either BB or WR). Just more proof they are setting up for a sale. Bowler is not ready for this imho but here we go lol. So the team now has some quite good talent on paper but a crap coaching staff and a very green GM.... where will it go is anyone’s guess. Don’t be surprised if the sale is at year end, to a group of nhl guys, and they already have been doing the scouting.... for some time. I’m told Rafkin is coming.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
When WR and BB put 1000% into the spits at the beginning there was no better ownership.After that initial success things went awry.Rychel held the team together the best he could after the sanctions and he needs a big thumbs up for that.Its too bad this last little while he seemed to be a patsy, with the little he had in shares he should have walked, I hope thats what he did this time.He played tough hockey in his playing days and I want to hope he went out flipping someone the bird.

Bowler is an ex spit and hockey guy.Cant say what will come.I still feel new ownership is coming down the road.The free market always has a way of righting everything and that is the paying customer.Will it be near sellouts or crickets??? Time will tell.

Reactions: ohl17

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Anyone want to post some stats for Rafkin, is he a big kid or natural goal scorer??? Spits sure need one of those.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
On Spits Facebook hes now a consultant...............give me a friggin break.

The lies and deceit continue it seems.Good luck STH ers!!!!

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Gee I’m sorry but anyone who knows WR knows this wasn’t his decision!!! Watch that video and tell me different!! This is another savage driven decision!!
I think your right....just watched it and he looks like he swallowed a mouse.Not the same upbeat Rychel we knew.

If he's done he's done why the consultant BS??? Theyre not fooling anyone if thats the purpose.Now Spits fans can say they have seen it all.

Reactions: ohl17 and Teflon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad