Windsor Spitfires 2019 Offseason Thread (Part 3)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Tweet from OHL Insiders....

Hearing long time ally of Cypher Systems Group, Bill Bowler will be the new GM of the Windsor Spitfires.
Warren Rychel will slowly be phased out and his function is to be determined.
Intention is to keep the coaching staff in tact.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Tweet from OHL Insiders....

Hearing long time ally of Cypher Systems Group, Bill Bowler will be the new GM of the Windsor Spitfires.
Warren Rychel will slowly be phased out and his function is to be determined.
Intention is to keep the coaching staff in tact.

A grain of salt of course. I would be fine with Rychel moving on it should and needs to happen. As for the last comment if kicking the can down the street is a strategy then the Spits have that down pat.

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
A grain of salt of course. I would be fine with Rychel moving on it should and needs to happen. As for the last comment if kicking the can down the street is a strategy then the Spits have that down pat.

Its like groundhog day. Lol
Wont please the fans if coaching staff all return. Isnt that what they're trying to do?

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Its like groundhog day. Lol
Wont please the fans if coaching staff all return. Isnt that what they're trying to do?

Based upon the article majority ownership believes there's more stability now with coaching staff returning and Warren still around.... Maybe for the home opener Bill Murray and Andie McDowell can drop the opening puck. In other words the organization won't admit it but they want to spend the fewest dollars possible to keep costs and expenses low. Hope they get a bit more talent and maybe get lucky in the playoffs.

Reactions: ohl17 and windsor7

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
Based upon the article majority ownership believes there's more stability now with coaching staff returning and Warren still around.... Maybe for the home opener Bill Murray and Andie McDowell can drop the opening puck. In other words the organization won't admit it but they want to spend the fewest dollars possible to keep costs and expenses low. Hope they get a bit more talent and maybe get lucky in the playoffs.

Agreed.
Its like the circus is in town.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Maybe Joni Mitchell was right...

I've looked at clouds from both sides now
From up and down, and still somehow
It's cloud illusions I recall
I really don't know clouds at all

Moons and Junes and Ferris wheels
The dizzy dancing way you feel
As every fairy tale comes real
I've looked at love that way

OHL 17

Nov 8, 2018
Windsor, On
When there are only the diehard fans at The WFCU, the coaches will have to be moved.
Not changing the coaches is only putting off the inevitable. Saving money at this moment will be a costly mistake!

Reactions: Sec108 and windsor7

member 71782

While many think this team will still be sold eventually, myself included I think any moves made will be to increase the return on any sale.

I think we see new ownership still come to be after the 2020/21 season.

Coaching remains unless they completely take things off the rails because I believe all their contracts will expire around that time and any new group will not have to deal with cleaning house as the positions will already be open with no financial commitments to cover. This increases the value of the organization and reduces the financial commitments of current ownership.

I still think Rychel will be GM but he will now have to answer for his actions. This could go either way but now, likely with major restrictions on what he can do I can see him being put in a position to put a competitive product on the ice but not allowed to spend any and all assets chasing a championship. His moves will likely be restricted to value added moves. Build through the draft and acquire assets from trades. This again could put the team in a position to be competitive, get through a couple of playoff rounds the next two season while stockpiling. Building a team that is ready to win when the next ownership group takes over. Rychel has the incentive to follow orders and keep his job as well as audition for any new owners since he will likely have no contract with obligations that would carry over to a new group.

Everything about this move is about building financial value in any return when the team is eventually sold. It won't happen overnight but having a number of solid pieces in place it will allow for a quick restructuring within the organization that allows the Cypher group to actively seek out potential buyers after the 2019/20 season and close at the end of the 2020/21. They could have a team with lots of assets stockpiled, a solid roster in place and on the verge of making a run with a new ownership group having the options of adding their own people to a good situation. That adds value to any sale and will increase the return.

As for Bowler, I don't see him as anything more than a security piece. If there is a reason to replace Rychel in a hurry he's available and if not he simply advises the Cypher group about how things are proceeding with their investment/expectations.

If you keep a coaching staff that the fanbase isn't happy with for stability you don't move a GM who has put together three Memorial Cup winners and say you're stabilizing things.

Rychel stays on an open contract that new owners can choose to keep him or not.

Letowski and company stay because with all that's gone on it can be justified keeping him at this point of the off season with all that's gone on and not having to bring in another staff which would likely come with contracts that carry over to a new group which would take value away from a sale.

We likely see two years of improved hockey, maybe even win a couple of rounds in the playoffs. An approach like Oshawa just took, move some pieces out to stockpile future assets as long as the team can remain fairly competitive at the same time minimize financial expenditures to make up for carrying the team for an extra couple of years before getting their payday.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Seems like OHL Insiders are locked in on the Spits.....

OHLInsiders‏ @OHLinsiders 38 minutes ago
More
The Spitfires believe in the current coaching staff. They want to give them a shot without any influence from Warren Rychel, who will be phased out over the next 8-10 months.

My translation -> IMHO WR has a contract and will do the grunt work of the GM unless he decides to leave. Any moves will be vetted by Bill Bowler who will have last say.

member 71782

Seems like OHL Insiders are locked in on the Spits.....

OHLInsiders‏ @OHLinsiders 38 minutes ago
More
The Spitfires believe in the current coaching staff. They want to give them a shot without any influence from Warren Rychel, who will be phased out over the next 8-10 months.

My translation -> IMHO WR has a contract and will do the grunt work of the GM unless he decides to leave. Any moves will be vetted by Bill Bowler who will have last say.

While I'm definitely not an insider by any stretch of the imagination t certainly didn't appear like Rychel was influencing Letowski and the coaching staff a whole lot. In fact it looked like he was giving him free reign and at least myself and likely a few others were hoping he would be a bigger influence.

You have to let people do their jobs but when it's not working out you need to decide if stepping in to give guidance or letting them go is the more appropriate option and the biggest knock on Rychel IMO is he did neither.

Fault him for doing nothing I agree but for having too much influence, sorry but that wasn't apparent.

Handy excuse though to keep the staff and push Rychel out the door though which won't bring fans back.

Moving on from Rychel isn't an issue but keeping this staff will be the biggest issue to deal with.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
I'm still not sure why we need an extensive coaching background in order to make comments on the coaching?

You don’t you are bang on as a Supporter of a team you can easily critique a Coach just like a Player or Manager for that matter. The only thing I don’t think is fair is when a person who watches a player or a coach 1-2 times a season then offers a “season overview” on them, that’s BS. Yourself or Windsor7 watch more then enough Spits games to let us know what your opinions are. Not to mention as long time fans you have seen good coaches and not so good coaches? IMO anyway?

Reactions: OHLTG

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
While I'm definitely not an insider by any stretch of the imagination t certainly didn't appear like Rychel was influencing Letowski and the coaching staff a whole lot. In fact it looked like he was giving him free reign and at least myself and likely a few others were hoping he would be a bigger influence.

You have to let people do their jobs but when it's not working out you need to decide if stepping in to give guidance or letting them go is the more appropriate option and the biggest knock on Rychel IMO is he did neither.

Fault him for doing nothing I agree but for having too much influence, sorry but that wasn't apparent.

Handy excuse though to keep the staff and push Rychel out the door though which won't bring fans back.

Moving on from Rychel isn't an issue but keeping this staff will be the biggest issue to deal with.

Agreed.
Keeping the current staff is a joke.
Fans shouldn't come back if coaching staff doesn't change.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Yeah, I've watched more than a few games ove the years lol I tried keeping track (props to those who can... it's not easy), but I failed. Best guess is into the four figures.

youngblood10

Jan 26, 2010
I agree with the consensus that this coaching staff needs to be removed. Big mistake on the organizations part to keep them in place.

WR/BB are driven individuals and we all witnessed what they accomplished when everyone had the same focus and goal. But once the individual agendas became more important and the focus rather than the success of the Windsor Spitfires, WR with Kerby and BB chasing NHL bench jobs. The lack of results in the better part of 10 years are a direct reflection. The hail mary cup win in '17 was nice but not enough given the years of neglect. And it is time for them to move on from the Spitfires.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
Rychel had been told by Boughner multiple times to stay out of the dressing room and leave certain people (players?) alone. This could be what insiders is alluding to.

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
All this stability talk is just a scam to get our #1 pick to sign and keep the russian coming and stop Foudy/Cuylle from bailing.In no way is this team anywhere near stable imo, keeping TL is not to pay him out and keep the for sale sign up in secret.

Isnt it funny though.....right after the last sale, TL and WR were at a bar drinking and laughing together.It seems now the coaches are blaming WR for their failure on his interference.Looks like no honour in that org anymore or maybe never was any.Plz insert Mantra here...........:laugh:

This org is friggin joke, good luck STH buying this season , it should be tax deductable.:skeptic:

windsor7

Nov 29, 2015
All this stability talk is just a scam to get our #1 pick to sign and keep the russian coming and stop Foudy/Cuylle from bailing.In no way is this team anywhere near stable imo, keeping TL is not to pay him out and keep the for sale sign up in secret.

Isnt it funny though.....right after the last sale, TL and WR were at a bar drinking and laughing together.It seems now the coaches are blaming WR for their failure on his interference.Looks like no honour in that org anymore or maybe never was any.Plz insert Mantra here...........:laugh:

This org is friggin joke, good luck STH buying this season , it should be tax deductable.:skeptic:

I wish it was a tax deductible .
I agree.
Very big joke.

Reactions: Sec108

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
Just talking to a potential buyer, they allow him to high jack the priority draft and with all the holes that need filling need to draft a player 5 7 113/130 in the 5th rd. to get them to that next level.........really???

You couldnt make this stuff up..........Ive never laughed soooo hard.Where's the kleenex box Im crying over here:laugh:

Sec108

Sep 5, 2011
The freebee's this year when you enter the WFCU Centre will be a big fat one...........:sarcasm::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad