Windsor Spitfires 2017-18 Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

punch1943

Apr 15, 2012
South Detroit
Rained out

Headed off to watch the Spitty game this afternoon and had to turn around as huge number of streets closed due to flooding. Hoping Legend and OHLTG can report on all things Spitty...:help::help:

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I was there for afternoon scrimmage...

High-scoring affair, of the 7-7 variety (IIRC). Baier and Patton the goaltenders but Baier got little help from his team. They weren't in it at all early on.

Few players stood out...

- DeSanctis really asserted himself as a chippy, speedy guy with some offensive instincts. I think he could be a fun one.

- DiGuilio had a nice offensive game. Same with Sirman. Wouldn't shock me if Sirman saw a pre-season game.

- The more I watch Larionov, the more I want to see him in game action.

- Evan Benwell has a nice touch. Not the fleetest of feet but seems to have a nose.

- Yelle and Gauvin used their size well. Not flashy; did their job.

- Baier looks very composed in net. I'm eager to see what he does in an actual game.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Based on what I have seen over the last 2 days, here is my shot at the roster. I have selected 2 Goaltenders, 8 Defenceman and 15 Forwards. It is close in many instances and a very good case can be made for several other player, especially at Forward.

In Alphabetical Order:

Goaltenders:

Brock Baier - 1999 - PS Draft - 10th Round - 2016
Michael DiPietro - 1999 - PS Draft - 2nd Round - 2015

The goaltenders seem obvious so I will not give any Justification

Defence

Hunter Carrick - 2000 - Trade with Ottawa - Good size. Since they traded for him 2 weeks, they plan for him for be on the team
Connor Corcoran - 2000 - PS Draft - 2nd Round - 2016 - Played well in spot duty last year at forward, expect him to be a top 6 D.
Nick Gauvin - 1998 - PS Draft - 4th Round - 2014 - Big and uses his size. If he had been healthy, this would be his 3rd year in the O. His injury 2 years ago was part of the reason they acquired Nother.
Austin McEneny - 1997 - Free Agent - 2016
Tyler Nother - 1998 - Trade with London
Nathan Staios -2001 - PS Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Small D-man with big shot. Sounds like Ryan Ellis - We can only hope.
Lev Starikov - 2000 - Import Draft - 2nd Round -2017 - Tall (6.06) but slight build (187 lbs.) - Skates well and seems to have good shot. Let's see how he handles the corners.
Joey Trifone - 2000 - Free Agent - Caught everyone's eye at Prospect Camp. Good skater and puckhandler. Seems to be a very heady player - rare at 17. Good scouting in finding him playing for a Wisconsin High School team.

Two other Dmen taken in this year's draft - Louka Henault and Erik Yelle could be a year away.

Forwards

Tyler Angle - 2000 - PS Draft - 6th Round - 2016 - Small but good skater. Should be third liner this year and move up to top 6 in future.
Evan Banwell - 2000 - U18 Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Seems to be able to find net.
Luke Boka - 1999 - PS Draft - 5th Round - 2015 - Energizer Bunny - Looking for him to be a top 6 Forward - Excellent on Penalty Kill.
Logan Brown - 1998 - Trade with Niagara
Vincent Desantis - 2000 - Trade with Barrie - Likes to us the body and appears to be able to score
Kirill Kozhevnikov - 1999 - Import Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Definate top 6 Forward
Luke Kutkevicius - 1998 - Trade with Hamilton - Solid Forward
Louis Latta - 1998 - Free Agent - I figure it will be him or Igor Larinov. Don't think this team needs 2 19yo FAs. Latta gets the edge because he was held out of the scrimmage on Tuesday Afternoon. Everyone else that was held out (except Patton) seems to be a lock to make the team.
Aaron Luchuk - 1997 - PS Draft 4th Round - 2013 - Expect him to wear the C.
Mathew MacDougall - 2000 - Trade with Barrie - Solid Forward. If he is still in Camp tomorrow, which will void his NCAA Commitment, he will be on the team. Expect him to be 3rd line with definite top 6 potential.
Chris Playfair - 2000 - PS Draft - 4th Round - 2016 - Played 9 games last year - Expect him on 4th line
Cole Purboo - 1999 - PS Draft - 9th Round - 2015 - Good size and definitely can score. His skating is very questionable.
William Sirman -1999 - PS Draft - 14th Round - 2015 - Best player in this afternoon's scrimmage - scored 4 goals (I believe) and had another in the shoot out. Love his heart and work ethic. This is his 3rd training camp. Will probably split time between the press box and 4th line, but looks to have earned a spot.
Davis Teigen-Katsumi - 1999 - Free Agent - this was close but gave him the nod for the final spot
Gabriel Vilardi - 1999 - PS Draft - 1st Round - 2015 - Hope he is healthy

The last few forward spots are wide open including several 16yos. However, I don't believe keeping a 16yo unless you can give them at least 10 minutes a game ice time. They need to be in Junior B playing regular shifts.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
Based on what I have seen over the last 2 days, here is my shot at the roster. I have selected 2 Goaltenders, 8 Defenceman and 15 Forwards. It is close in many instances and a very good case can be made for several other player, especially at Forward.

In Alphabetical Order:

Goaltenders:

Brock Baier - 1999 - PS Draft - 10th Round - 2016
Michael DiPietro - 1999 - PS Draft - 2nd Round - 2015

The goaltenders seem obvious so I will not give any Justification

Defence

Hunter Carrick - 2000 - Trade with Ottawa - Good size. Since they traded for him 2 weeks, they plan for him for be on the team
Connor Corcoran - 2000 - PS Draft - 2nd Round - 2016 - Played well in spot duty last year at forward, expect him to be a top 6 D.
Nick Gauvin - 1998 - PS Draft - 4th Round - 2014 - Big and uses his size. If he had been healthy, this would be his 3rd year in the O. His injury 2 years ago was part of the reason they acquired Nother.
Austin McEneny - 1997 - Free Agent - 2016
Tyler Nother - 1998 - Trade with London
Nathan Staios -2001 - PS Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Small D-man with big shot. Sounds like Ryan Ellis - We can only hope.
Lev Starikov - 2000 - Import Draft - 2nd Round -2017 - Tall (6.06) but slight build (187 lbs.) - Skates well and seems to have good shot. Let's see how he handles the corners.
Joey Trifone - 2000 - Free Agent - Caught everyone's eye at Prospect Camp. Good skater and puckhandler. Seems to be a very heady player - rare at 17. Good scouting in finding him playing for a Wisconsin High School team.

Two other Dmen taken in this year's draft - Louka Henault and Erik Yelle could be a year away.

Forwards

Tyler Angle - 2000 - PS Draft - 6th Round - 2016 - Small but good skater. Should be third liner this year and move up to top 6 in future.
Evan Banwell - 2000 - U18 Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Seems to be able to find net.
Luke Boka - 1999 - PS Draft - 5th Round - 2015 - Energizer Bunny - Looking for him to be a top 6 Forward - Excellent on Penalty Kill.
Logan Brown - 1998 - Trade with Niagara
Vincent Desantis - 2000 - Trade with Barrie - Likes to us the body and appears to be able to score
Kirill Kozhevnikov - 1999 - Import Draft - 1st Round - 2017 - Definate top 6 Forward
Luke Kutkevicius - 1998 - Trade with Hamilton - Solid Forward
Louis Latta - 1998 - Free Agent - I figure it will be him or Igor Larinov. Don't think this team needs 2 19yo FAs. Latta gets the edge because he was held out of the scrimmage on Tuesday Afternoon. Everyone else that was held out (except Patton) seems to be a lock to make the team.
Aaron Luchuk - 1997 - PS Draft 4th Round - 2013 - Expect him to wear the C.
Mathew MacDougall - 2000 - Trade with Barrie - Solid Forward. If he is still in Camp tomorrow, which will void his NCAA Commitment, he will be on the team. Expect him to be 3rd line with definite top 6 potential.
Chris Playfair - 2000 - PS Draft - 4th Round - 2016 - Played 9 games last year - Expect him on 4th line
Cole Purboo - 1999 - PS Draft - 9th Round - 2015 - Good size and definitely can score. His skating is very questionable.
William Sirman -1999 - PS Draft - 14th Round - 2015 - Best player in this afternoon's scrimmage - scored 4 goals (I believe) and had another in the shoot out. Love his heart and work ethic. This is his 3rd training camp. Will probably split time between the press box and 4th line, but looks to have earned a spot.
Davis Teigen-Katsumi - 1999 - Free Agent - this was close but gave him the nod for the final spot
Gabriel Vilardi - 1999 - PS Draft - 1st Round - 2015 - Hope he is healthy

The last few forward spots are wide open including several 16yos. However, I don't believe keeping a 16yo unless you can give them at least 10 minutes a game ice time. They need to be in Junior B playing regular shifts.

I prepared my roster guess list before the afternoon scrimmage, and your list is exactly the same, except I would add Larionov to guide and assist the 2 Russian imports.

Last edited:

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
I like that list but I'd try to find a spot for Larionov. It feels like he's just a matter of playing time away from breaking out. I'm hoping that Playfair can get going in the pre-season because it's tough to see him doing much right now.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Tomschman

Agree on goaltenders, defense and forwards different story
As of now I wouldn't keep Carrick or Gauvin, Henault and Stevenson would be in their place,the fact both are signed,unlike Carrick and Gauvin has not played much in the last 2 years,he is now 19, if he doesn't start should not be there.
It would come down to Trifone and Carrick, they both can't be sent to Jr B because they are Americans,Carrick in my view has struggled most then any of the d,he needs a big day in 4-4 scrimmage and the blue and white game.
Upfront some clarity,now that MacDougall has signed,NCAA is out of the picture so he will be on the squad.
As for the others,I will start with the assumption that Brown and Vilardi will not start the season but expect both to return eventually.
So here are the other 13 plus MacDougall
Sirman,Angle Purboo, Luchuk,Boka,Benwell,Larionov, Kozhevnikov, Desanctis, Kitkevicius,DeGuilo,Latta and Teigen-Katsumi,with Playfair on a B card.
When Brown and Vilardi, return I would move Latta and probably Purboo,to get down to 14.
I know signing 4 free agents forwards is unusual but I am willing to do it,as I expect 3 of them to return next year.
Other free agent forwards Joe Mizzi and Kyle West have play well but both being 19 makes it difficult to keep them.
Either way, there appears to be 30 guys fighting for 24 jobs and that's not including Brown and Vilardi.
I hope the events of tomorrow clarify things more clearly,not easy for sure.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I like that list but I'd try to find a spot for Larionov. It feels like he's just a matter of playing time away from breaking out. I'm hoping that Playfair can get going in the pre-season because it's tough to see him doing much right now.

I agree about both Larionov and Playfair.
Larionov had 4 assists today in the 2 scrimmages,playing in the 1st scrimmage with Kozhevnikov,and playing with Sirman.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
From today's, action I was impressed with the play of Sirman who had 2 assists in the 1st scrimmage,and 3 goals,plus a shootout goal,DeGuilo 1G1A in one game,Evan Benwell 1G in game 1 and 2G2A in game 2,Latta 1G1A ,
in 1 game, Larionov 4 assists in 2 games, Daniel D'amico had 1 of each, ditto MacDougall,and Joe Mizzi.Dmen Starikov had 2 assists in 1 game,Staios scored goals in each of the scrimmages, and Louka Henault continues to impress, especially game 1.
Also dmen Thomas Stevenson,Hayden Johnston and Austin McEneny performed well today on the back end.

tomschman

Oct 29, 2015
Tomschman

Agree on goaltenders, defense and forwards different story
As of now I wouldn't keep Carrick or Gauvin, Henault and Stevenson would be in their place,the fact both are signed,unlike Carrick and Gauvin has not played much in the last 2 years,he is now 19, if he doesn't start should not be there.
It would come down to Trifone and Carrick, they both can't be sent to Jr B because they are Americans,Carrick in my view has struggled most then any of the d,he needs a big day in 4-4 scrimmage and the blue and white game.
Upfront some clarity,now that MacDougall has signed,NCAA is out of the picture so he will be on the squad.
As for the others,I will start with the assumption that Brown and Vilardi will not start the season but expect both to return eventually.
So here are the other 13 plus MacDougall
Sirman,Angle Purboo, Luchuk,Boka,Benwell,Larionov, Kozhevnikov, Desanctis, Kitkevicius,DeGuilo,Latta and Teigen-Katsumi,with Playfair on a B card.
When Brown and Vilardi, return I would move Latta and probably Purboo,to get down to 14.
I know signing 4 free agents forwards is unusual but I am willing to do it,as I expect 3 of them to return next year.
Other free agent forwards Joe Mizzi and Kyle West have play well but both being 19 makes it difficult to keep them.
Either way, there appears to be 30 guys fighting for 24 jobs and that's not including Brown and Vilardi.
I hope the events of tomorrow clarify things more clearly,not easy for sure.

I didn't realize that Henault and Stevenson were signed, but I still think that Gauvin has looked better. I still say that if a 16yo (Henault) can't bet guaranteed 10 minutes a game, he needs to be in Junior B. The reason that I kept Carrick is that they just traded for him, but he is not overly impressive. I would then agree that Stevenson should replace Carrick. I think we are in agreement that they need to make room for Trifone.

DeGuilo and Larinov were next on my list. I also like D'Amico and and Brimmer for next year (both 16).

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
I didn't realize that Henault and Stevenson were signed, but I still think that Gauvin has looked better. I still say that if a 16yo (Henault) can't bet guaranteed 10 minutes a game, he needs to be in Junior B. The reason that I kept Carrick is that they just traded for him, but he is not overly impressive. I would then agree that Stevenson should replace Carrick. I think we are in agreement that they need to make room for Trifone.

DeGuilo and Larinov were next on my list. I also like D'Amico and and Brimmer for next year (both 16).

Is there any reason why Gauvin should get 10 mins a game instead of Henault?

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Henault is younger and will benefit from regular playing time in Jr B. Gauvin has been in Jr B for a few seasons and would benefit from playing in the O, even in a limited role.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Henault is younger and will benefit from regular playing time in Jr B. Gauvin has been in Jr B for a few seasons and would benefit from playing in the O, even in a limited role.

Gauvin has played 70 hockey games in the past 3 seasons of hockey, he's 19 years old unless you envision him being an OA next year he shouldn't be taking time away from Henault. You talk about rebuild and you want a 19 year old with less upside over Henault? So next year you can play Henault who would have very little OHL experience when you want the team to be better. This is all backwards logic on your part.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
We're not talking about a prime role on the club, but a 6 or 7 d-man with minimal minutes. I'd rather give that to a guy like Gauvin, who has played Jr B (injuries or not), while a kid like Henault gets plenty of ice in Jr B. Yes, I'm fully behind a rebuild but you still need veterans to play roles. If we're talking the "you'll play sparingly" role, take the veteran and let the younger one develop for a year. He's got lots of time.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
We're not talking about a prime role on the club, but a 6 or 7 d-man with minimal minutes. I'd rather give that to a guy like Gauvin, who has played Jr B (injuries or not), while a kid like Henault gets plenty of ice in Jr B. Yes, I'm fully behind a rebuild but you still need veterans to play roles. If we're talking the "you'll play sparingly" role, take the veteran and let the younger one develop for a year. He's got lots of time.

Why should Henault play a 6 or 7 role? McEneny and Nother are the only veterans on the blueline as far as age and junior hockey experience. There's no reason why Staois/Henault/Starikov/Corcoran shouldn't fill out 3 to 6.

How do you know Henault is better off getting experience in Jr B? Sometimes Jr B is good for a kid and sometimes Jr B doesn't mean a thing. Take the veteran he can take ice time away from a younger player in a rebuilding year. Sounds like a great strategy. They should keep Larionov/Latta/Barraclough/Mizzi as well because they're veterans as well..... You're a walking contradiction.

SpItFiReZ

Jan 4, 2004
I don't think Gauvin should be on the team at all unfortunately. I would have the following:

Nother, McEneny, Corcoran, Staois, Starikov, Trifone, Carrick (latter 3 look to have good potential but need some time)

Stevenson, Heneault and Yelle in JR B to start with Stevenson being brought up for injuries and if Nother or McEneny are moved later in the season.

Day or Sergachev come back, you move them for a boat load of picks.

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
Why should Henault play a 6 or 7 role? McEneny and Nother are the only veterans on the blueline as far as age and junior hockey experience. There's no reason why Staois/Henault/Starikov/Corcoran shouldn't fill out 3 to 6.

How do you know Henault is better off getting experience in Jr B? Sometimes Jr B is good for a kid and sometimes Jr B doesn't mean a thing. Take the veteran he can take ice time away from a younger player in a rebuilding year. Sounds like a great strategy. They should keep Larionov/Latta/Barraclough/Mizzi as well because they're veterans as well..... You're a walking contradiction.

You forgot Will Brown, Trifone, Carrick, and Stevenson on D. McEneny, Nother, Staios, Starikov, Brown, Carrick, Corcoran, and Stevenson are eight while Trifone adds nine. (though, in theory, Brown could be pushed out) Where does that leave Henault? Send him to Jr B for a season, get playing time, and then he comes next year once McEneny is gone. I like Henault; I just don't want to see him get minimal ice time in the O if he could have regular playing time with Jr B.

As for the forwards - yeah, you keep a couple around because you need the veterans in there. I'm all for keeping Larionov and Barraclough has grown on me, too. His physical play was impressive on Tuesday afternoon. Latta I could take or leave, same with Mizzi.

I remember having a discussion in the past abaout how you need veterans on a rebuild to insulate the youngsters. This is a golden time to do that. I like Henault a whole lot but I'd personally rather see him get ample ice in Jr B, while a kid like Gauvin, who's a veteran relatively speaking, gets the depth minutes in the O.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I too,like D'amico and Brimmer, along with other 16 year old forwards Frasca, Paterson and Andrews,u can toss in Taylor as well.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

OHLTG

It's not often that I agree with Rayzor however in this case as it relates to Henault,I am in full agreement,he should be here not Jr B based on his play to date.Confession I too prior to camp felt that Henault should play in B,then brought when needed, however not just his play but his poise has struck,and I might add Igor Larionov who has been here to watch his son,says the 2 D that have caught his eye are Corcoran and Henault.That works for me,a far more authority then anyone on this board.
Gauvin has played fairly decent more so Monday then yesterday, but as a 19 year old,unless he starts it's tough to keep him,his lack of development because of injuries is too bad,feel for him,just these these
8, are better moving forward
McEneny, Corcoran,Staios,Nother, Starikov, Henault, Stevenson and Trifone then Gauvin.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Spits

I don't think Gauvin should be on the team at all unfortunately. I would have the following:

Nother, McEneny, Corcoran, Staois, Starikov, Trifone, Carrick (latter 3 look to have good potential but need some time)

Stevenson, Heneault and Yelle in JR B to start with Stevenson being brought up for injuries and if Nother or McEneny are moved later in the season.

Day or Sergachev come back, you move them for a boat load of picks.

Don't agree about Stevenson and Henault,with Stevenson he would have to waivered 1st before going to B,and my feeling is that Henault has outplayed Carrick,willing to with 8,as Trifone can't go to JR B because he is a 17 year old.
As for Yelle,he has impressed me alot,nice upside, should be signed,send back home,and get called up if injuries occur to the 1st 8 guys.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
OHLTG

I agree I like Barraclough,too bad he is coming off a broken arm,cast removed 3 weeks ago,not as aggressive as he'd like I am sure,he has good speed,a 99 born,a guy that I could be convinced to sign other then Latta,if he isn't signed already and Davis Teigen-Katsumi,one of the 2, Barraclough already has given up NCAA,by playing in an exhibition game and 1 regular season game with Peterborough,Latta is a year older and if he doesn't play on top 3 lines,like Gauvin, no need for him,Davis Teigen-Katsumi still has NCAA options,this may be in play when deciding things.
While I can't make 4 on 4 scrimmage this am I will be at the Blue and White game tonight.
Hopefully things become clearer,in what has become an interesting and competitive training camp.

Southwest76

Sep 3, 2016
You forgot Will Brown, Trifone, Carrick, and Stevenson on D. McEneny, Nother, Staios, Starikov, Brown, Carrick, Corcoran, and Stevenson are eight while Trifone adds nine. (though, in theory, Brown could be pushed out) Where does that leave Henault? Send him to Jr B for a season, get playing time, and then he comes next year once McEneny is gone. I like Henault; I just don't want to see him get minimal ice time in the O if he could have regular playing time with Jr B.

As for the forwards - yeah, you keep a couple around because you need the veterans in there. I'm all for keeping Larionov and Barraclough has grown on me, too. His physical play was impressive on Tuesday afternoon. Latta I could take or leave, same with Mizzi.

I remember having a discussion in the past abaout how you need veterans on a rebuild to insulate the youngsters. This is a golden time to do that. I like Henault a whole lot but I'd personally rather see him get ample ice in Jr B, while a kid like Gauvin, who's a veteran relatively speaking, gets the depth minutes in the O.

I'd be skeptical of Gauvin at this level! Watched a lot of his games with Leamington last year and he was at best the 6th best Defenceman on that team! Although in all fairness, Leamington had strong D for junior B! I think the injuries have taken their toll on him unfortunately!

OHLTG

Nov 18, 2008
behind lens, Ontario
It's not often that I agree with Rayzor however in this case as it relates to Henault,I am in full agreement,he should be here not Jr B based on his play to date.

That's fine. I gave my reasons so we'll see how it plays out.

I would imagine any cuts happened either last night or today. I will be at the scrimmage this morning; tonight is TBD.

stips

Apr 3, 2016
OHLTG

I agree I like Barraclough,too bad he is coming off a broken arm,cast removed 3 weeks ago,not as aggressive as he'd like I am sure,he has good speed,a 99 born,a guy that I could be convinced to sign other then Latta,if he isn't signed already and Davis Teigen-Katsumi,one of the 2, Barraclough already has given up NCAA,by playing in an exhibition game and 1 regular season game with Peterborough,Latta is a year older and if he doesn't play on top 3 lines,like Gauvin, no need for him,Davis Teigen-Katsumi still has NCAA options,this may be in play when deciding things.
While I can't make 4 on 4 scrimmage this am I will be at the Blue and White game tonight.
Hopefully things become clearer,in what has become an interesting and competitive training camp.

I disagree with regards to Gauvin. He has earned a longer look, based on his play at this camp. If you are not involving politics, he will stay, based on this play. Injuries have been his main problem to date. Playing for Piroski, probably has made him more disciplined and determined!

Latta has been quite good. He looks like a sniper, which will be needed. I would not dismiss him so quickly.

I liked Barraclough as well, He could be a player that other teams would find hard to play against.

Starikov is steady, reads the plays well, takes good angles, well trained, and is a very good skater for his size. He is not physical for his size, but will develop that with experience and strength. He also jumps into the play quickly, and does not get back into position when he should, which will improve with experience. He appears to really love the game, and will be a very, very good player!

Camp has been fast, competitive, and upbeat. Very well prepared by the coaches!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad