Tennis: Wimbledon 2024

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos with another slow start getting the kinks out, but then he really looked like he couldn't be denied the rest of the way. Both guys looked comfortable on grass. Ultimately not much Daniil could do.

Ben Grimm

Goddamn Wrecks
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
distrokid.com
M had to win the 2nd set. Has the Joker ever been a top 2 seed in a major semi or final, won the first 2 sets, and then lost sets 3 - 5 to a 25th or lower seed in his career? Idk. Alcaraz waits.

Last edited:

Novak Djokovic

#24 and counting... #GOAT
Dec 10, 2006
Wimbledon crowd, dumb as usual booing something he has done every match for his daughter. I don't think he will win against Carlos, but it's so sweet seeing him win at this age despite majority of tennis world wanting him to fail although I recognize his draw's been very easy.

Reactions: Filppula

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
M had to win the 2nd set. Has the Joker ever been a top 2 seed in a major semi or final, won the first 2 sets, and then lost sets 3 - 5 to a 25th or lower seed in his career? Idk. Alcaraz waits.
Off the top of my head, Jurgen Melzer FO 2010...but that's about it.

EDIT: But that was earlier in the tournament, no SF/F.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Wimbledon crowd, dumb as usual booing something he has done every match for his daughter. I don't think he will win against Carlos, but it's so sweet seeing him win at this age despite majority of tennis world wanting him to fail although I recognize his draw's been very easy.

Tbf, they booed Alcaraz for the Spain v England euros comment too. Grand slam crowds are massive trolls most of the time :laugh:

Alcaraz v. Djokovic again, what a time to be alive. Can't wait for Sunday

No reason to move from the couch at all between that and the soccer games going on and then House of Dragon (if you watch that show, lol)

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Off the top of my head, Jurgen Melzer FO 2010...but that's about it.

EDIT: But that was earlier in the tournament, no SF/F.
He was 49-0 when he lost that five setter to Meltzer in 2010. I think since then his record has been 218 -0 after winning the first two sets at a slam for a total of 267-1 for his career. I could be wrong by a couple of wins but that for sure is the ball park figure. Just crazy consistency.

Going to be a hell of a final. Sticking with Carlos, though.

Ben Grimm

Goddamn Wrecks
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
distrokid.com
He was 49-0 when he lost that five setter to Meltzer in 2010. I think since then his record has been 218 -0 after winning the first two sets at a slam for a total of 267-1 for his career. I could be wrong by a couple of wins but that for sure is the ball park figure. Just crazy consistency.

Going to be a hell of a final. Sticking with Carlos, though.

"no one likes him" Novak Djokovic is the rebel who uses antipathy as his greatest weapon

That wasn't in a major semi or final though. Agreed about sticking with Carlos. I only root for likeable humans with intelligent beliefs. That leaves Novak out.

Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
"no one likes him" Novak Djokovic is the rebel who uses antipathy as his greatest weapon

That wasn't in a major semi or final though. Agreed about sticking with Carlos. I only root for likeable humans with intelligent beliefs. That leaves Novak out.
Your right-- those stats that I gave refer to his overall statistics in GS events. From that we can certainly extrapolate that he has never lost from two sets up in a GS semi or final.

I disagree with his behaviour sometimes, but he is true to his beliefs even when he knows they are controversial outside of Serbia. I think he sees a certain kind of animosity as rocket fuel. He doesn't shy away, I'll give him that.

Ben Grimm

Goddamn Wrecks
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
distrokid.com
... I disagree with his behaviour sometimes, but he is true to his beliefs even when he knows they are controversial outside of Serbia. I think he sees a certain kind of animosity as rocket fuel. He doesn't shy away, I'll give him that.
Agreed. 1. He uses antipathy as fuel. 2. He's planning for a long, successful career in Serbian politics.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Would the real Paolini please stand up, please stand up, please stand up. It's about as bad for her as the first set vs Vekic. To be fair, Krejciková is serving and playing really well.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
In a Paolini-esque way, a total turnaround in the 2nd set. If I predicted that Paolini will win the 3rd set and the match, she'd probably start sucking again, so I shall say nothing.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Krejcikova for the win in three sets but hardly a match to write home about. The seven time GS doubles winner Krejcikova is one of the more unlikely two-time GS winners imaginable. But she delivered in the third set and Jasmine didn't.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see Djokovic-Alcaraz going five. Four, at most. I don’t think Djokovic knee will be able to keep up with an in form Alcaraz.

Novak Djokovic

Dec 10, 2006
I don’t see Djokovic-Alcaraz going five. Four, at most. I don’t think Djokovic knee will be able to keep up with an in form Alcaraz.
Yeah, this kind of gives me 2015 Wimbledon final vibes albeit Roger was 33 then? That surprises me, I thought he was older, haha. Maybe 2019 Wimbledon is a better comparison, if Novak comes that close, I'll be happy.

Roger looked fairly good throughout the championships, and in the final, won a set with two extremely competitive sets but Novak winning was not really a doubt and ran away in the last two sets rather easily.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, this kind of gives me 2015 Wimbledon final vibes albeit Roger was 33 then? That surprises me, I thought he was older, haha. Maybe 2019 Wimbledon is a better comparison, if Novak comes that close, I'll be happy.

Roger looked fairly good throughout the championships, and in the final, won a set with two extremely competitive sets but Novak winning was not really a doubt and ran away in the last two sets rather easily.
The fact that he’s even gotten this far is incredible. Four weeks recovery is mad. Then again, he’s the greatest player ever so he could make me look stupid saying that he’ll win one set at most and find a way to win.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Jul 19, 2010
New York

I assume you're talking about 2015 there, and not 2019?

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The longer the match goes, the better Carlos's chances. Picked him to win so not switching horses now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interesting factoid: In the last 11 years there have been 10 different women who have won the championship at Wimbledon.

Bartoli
Kvitova
Serena
Serena
Muguruza
Kerber
Halep
Barty
Rybakina
Vandrousova
Krejcikova

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2008
I like Carlos in this one I feel Novak has faced a lighter set of competition to the final (one of his opponents even pulled out due to injury)

Ad

Ad

Ad