Tennis: Wimbledon 2024

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Serving to go up two sets to one, Medvedev fouls the nest behind three unforced errors, and now Jannik is well and truly back in it. Worst time in the world to throw in a lousy service game.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Medvedev wins the breaker 7-4. A fortunate thing, too, as he would have been a basket case for months if he blew that set.

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Even though Sinner clearly had the momentum before the tie-break, Medvedev takes it fairly easily and leads 2—1. All bets are off for me, but now would be Medvedev's great chance to beat Sinner after a fairly long losing streak.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Meanwhile Paul is giving Carlos a real match, 4-all in the first set.
Even though Sinner clearly had the momentum before the tie-break, Medvedev takes it fairly easily and leads 2—1. All bets are off for me, but now would be Medvedev's great chance to beat Sinner after a fairly long losing streak.
A curiously long losing streak, too, as Daniil won their first six matches but has lost the last five. Agree that all bets are off on this one right now.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
And, yikes, in what seems like a matter of seconds, Sinner is suddenly up 5-1 in the fourth. I peeked at the Paul/Alcaraz match for maybe two games, and, wham, Jannik had made quick work in his match.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Going to a fifth set, and the bets are back on and the winner should be Sinner.

Well, it is going to be one of those days as Paul takes the first set against Carlitos 7-5.....and goes up 2-love in the second set.

But Carlos breaks back immediately and takes the set 6-4 to even the match.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Paul can't match Alcaraz's overall game but he can match Carlos' athleticism. I think that intimidates Alcaraz just a little.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Going to a fifth set, and the bets are back on and the winner should be Sinner.
Not wearing well. Daniil up 3-1 in the fifth. :banghead:

4-1 as Jannik rubs a hamstring muscle. Not a good sign, and an indication of what might have been compromising his play earlier. Smart Medvedev is really moving him around.

Easy hold at love for Daniil, now 5-2, as the fat lady moves toward the piano.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos in a nice rhythm now as he takes the third set 6-2 to go up two sets to one....up a second break now, 4-1 in the fourth set.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Paolini has been energetic, aggressive and willing to take the net at every opportunity (10 for 11). Navarro has been none of those things and the absence of a net game (0 for 2) is really hurting her. An easy 6-2 set for Jasmine.

Reactions: SPV

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Paul started so promisingly but then Carlos raised his game and Tommy did absolutely nothing the rest of the way to avert the landslide. (Sidenote: Carlos earned 27 break points, converting eight).

Last edited:
Reactions: PanniniClaus

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Interesting little factoid: Sinner has never won a match lasting over four hours (today's match, exactly four hours, is the longest he has played). I mean, there remains a tiny question lurking there about his overall general fitness and physical tolerance level and the still not totally unresolved tendency for it to be an issue during some of his matches. Also interesting to note that his girlfriend, Kalinskaya, defaulted in her last match due to feeling sickly. The fact remains is that if you are feeling even a bit iffy physically, probably the last person you want to play under a closed roof is Daniil Medvedev.

Saw a comment on a tennis podcast about Medvedev being the Andy Murray of this generation. Interesting, I thought. While Daniil hasn't won three Grand Slams and an Olympic's gold medal, he is sort of the spoiler who sometimes upsets the apple cart of the Big Three of his generation, Alcaraz, Djokovic and Sinner. Pretty apt comparison, I would say.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Demon withdraws due to an injured hip. He felt a loud pop in his hip during the last three points of his previous match against Fils, and his fears were confirmed yesterday by an MRI. Terrible news for him and lousy luck.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rybakina's draw has been as easy as Novak's, but she is up against the sentimental favourite Svitolina today.

Krejcikova takes the first set from Ostapenko who played erratically. If you can move her around she's vulnerable, but that is hard to do with her weight of shot. Sometimes, she just self-destructs.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Small sample size, sure--maybe five times--but I am not certain that I have ever seen Krejcikova serve for a set and hold. She is incredibly non-clutch under pressure and it once again hurts her here, now 5-all in the second set.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Super easy win for Rybakina 3 and 2. Of the remaining possibilities, I would only give Paolini a chance of giving her a match.

Ostapenko's uneven play continues in the breaker and Krejcikova plays just enough good points to take the match.

Once again, both quarters were played simultaneously. Such an odd scheduling decision, especially when the tournament starts the day with the announcement of a walk-over.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Musetti's slice backhand has been the most effective shot of the tournament, and it is a stroke designed to give Taylor Fritz fits. I could see an upset here.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Fritz and Musetti split the first two sets. Anybody's match right now.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
A history lesson from Suzanne Lenglen, unanimously considered the best women's tennis player of her era (1925). She was a six time Wimbledon champion and won Roland Garros twice. According to Wiki, she had a career record of 327-7 (97.9%), by a laughable margin the greatest in tennis history.

DarrylshutzSydor

Aug 9, 2007
California
Rybakina's draw has been as easy as Novak's, but she is up against the sentimental favourite Svitolina today.

Krejcikova takes the first set from Ostapenko who played erratically. If you can move her around she's vulnerable, but that is hard to do with her weight of shot. Sometimes, she just self-destructs.
Good to see cry baby Svitolina lose! ZZZZZZZZZ

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Lorenzo blitzes Fritz in the third; Taylor make confetti of Mussetti in the fourth.

HELLO, FIFTH SET.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad