Tennis: Wimbledon 2024

VMBM

Hansel?!
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
How is Swiatek so dominating in the French Open and so mediocre everywhere else? (Yes I know she has that one US Open title too.) A female Rafael Nadal? Nah, not really.

PS. If Ons Jabeur ever wins a Grand Slam, I'll eat me hat!

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
At the start of the year, Mpetshi Perricard was an unknown ranked #208 in the world with all of two lonely wins on the ATP tour. In late May, he came out of the blue to win Lyon. Now he is up to #44 in the live ranking and in the fourth round at Wimbledon thanks to wins over Korda, Nishioka and Ruusovuari. He has a very intimidating first serve to thank for his meteoric rise.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
How is Swiatek so dominating in the French Open and so mediocre everywhere else? (Yes I know she has that one US Open title too.) A female Rafael Nadal? Nah, not really.

PS. If Ons Jabeur ever wins a Grand Slam, I'll eat me hat!

To be fair, Putinseva is a pretty tough foe for her. She almost beat her recently on clay which is Iga's favorite place, forget where it was though.

At the start of the year, Mpetshi Perricard was an unknown ranked #208 in the world with all of two lonely wins on the ATP tour. In late May, he came out of the blue to win Lyon. Now he is up to #44 in the live ranking and in the fourth round at Wimbledon thanks to wins over Korda, Nishioka and Ruusovuari. He has a very intimidating first serve to thank for his meteoric rise.

He's been utterly tremendous during this grass season, his game fits it perfectly. Huge serve and everything

Reactions: kihei

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Rune down two sets to the lightweight Quentin Halys who has never done much of anything in his decade long career (26 wins total and only one win against a player ranked in the top twenty, De Minaur). Real good bet for a comeback here.

Scary fourth set breaker, but Rune wins going away in the fifth set 6-1. Sets up a meeting with Djokovic who had another four set win today.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Nole loses the first set to Popyrn....but that's too good to last as Nole takes control to win in four sets.

Last edited:
Reactions: MsMeow

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
No slow start for Carlos today who is loading up on 107 mph forehands.. Humbert can't handle either Alcarez's first or second serve, 6-3.

Carlos takes the second set with a spectacular point that he seemed to be out of two or three times. Wow, what speed, what skills.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Another dreary rainy day in England. Starting tomorrow the singles won't be effected as they can be played in the two covered stadiums, but all the other events are way behind. When the Queens tournament had a week of beautiful weather and blue, blue skies, you could sort of see this coming.

Mid-afternoon and the sun finally comes out....but not for too long--one of those days that Britain is noted for.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
What excruciatingly terrible timing. About to serve for the match at 5-4 in the third set, Madison Keys develops what looks like a serious enough groin pull to require extended medical attention. If she can't continue, this would be such perverse, lousy luck.

With a heavily taped thigh, she continues....but badly compromised and in and out of tears, she is broken for 5-all. And she defaults after two points in the next game. I feel sad for Paolini, too, nobody wants to win this way.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Carlos gets clobbered 6-1 in the third set. Humbert often plays better when he is far behind and the pressure is off, but this is unexpected, given the way the match had been going....at 3-4 Carlos escapes thanks to his serve from a love-40 deficit. Obviously not firing on all cylinders right now, though, and increasingly frustrated because of it.

Carlos through to the quarters in four sets, 7-5 in the decider. Humbert returned much better after the first set, but the match never seemed seriously in doubt.

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Raducanu withdrew from the mixed doubles because of wrist pain, watching her match so far I’d agree, she doesn’t look near as sharp on her ground strokes and seems way more defensive than the earlier matches. Kid just can’t stay healthy.

Nothing against Sun, I thought she was fantastic today.

Last edited:

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
In quite a one-sided match with an exciting third set tie breaker, Sinner beats Shelton in straight sets. Shelton made it interesting in the final set, had a pair of set points in the breaker, but Sinner stayed calm and steady as usual (which in itself must seem intimidating to an opponent) and toughed it out.

Reactions: SPV

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
The Sun also rises.

New Zealand's Lulu Sun, who very seldom plays on the main WTA tour, makes the quarters with a straight set win over Raducanu who, at least, left the court smiling. Sun is ranked #123 currently which is also her highest ranking ever. She lost in the first round of her only other GS appearance (Australia), so this is very heady territory for her.

kihei

Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Dimitrov retires a 3-5 against Medvedev. Didn't see it, so I don't know what happened. Only thought: Daniil is going to be very fresh against Sinner.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
Yeah. Chris Evert is right. Coco needs to stop looking to her box and just play tennis.
Amazing. She’s totally right too I guess it’s easy to forget how young these players are sometimes.

I’m not sure what Coco could do differently, maybe stop slugging with her and try some drop shots. Navarro is playing pretty perfect tennis.

Reactions: Jack Straw

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Amazing. She’s totally right too I guess it’s easy to forget how young these players are sometimes.

I’m not sure what Coco could do differently, maybe stop slugging with her and try some drop shots. Navarro is playing pretty perfect tennis.

She was trying to bludgeon everything and Navarro was handling everything Gauff gave her. Pretty amazing upset.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Vekic, Navarro, Paolini or Sun being a Wimbledon finalist is insane. People complaining on social media about how "bad" the WTA is but, to me, upsets and cinderella runs are what make tennis so great.

I admit I’d never even heard of Emma Navarro but man, she plays some nice tennis.

Her and Paolini could be the most consistent players all year on the women's tour, even over Saba/Iga winning the grand slams this year, both of them playing each next is pretty fitting/deserving imo

Reactions: Jack Straw

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Her and Paolini could be the most consistent players all year on the women's tour, even over Saba/Iga winning the grand slams this year, both of them playing each next is pretty fitting/deserving imo
I hate to say for a trip to the final so presumptively, but that looks like a semi to me not a quarter given the two possible opponents.

You also gotta feel bad for Keys. If she didn’t get that injury, she probably holds serve for the match against Paolini and is basically playing Navarro for a trip to the final. She’s gotten close so many times in her career, but never won a slam.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad