Player Discussion William Nylander

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
He is way overpaid. That was such a horrible contract given by Tre and his dumbass boss Shanny. I don't care if he heats up and has another 17 game point streak, you don't pay such soft players that much money. He will never be worth it. Brutal.
At this point none of them will be worth it unless they win the Cup.

Matthews maybe looking back after he shatters the goal scoring record and probably the point record, but it will always be with an asterik of what could have been.

I am dead tired of talking about contracts and overpays. WIN THE CUP DAMNIT AND MAKE IT GO AWAY. For a summer at least

Reactions: ACC1224

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At this point none of them will be worth it unless they win the Cup.

Matthews maybe looking back after he shatters the goal scoring record and probably the point record, but it will always be with an asterik of what could have been.

I am dead tired of talking about contracts and overpays. WIN THE CUP DAMNIT AND MAKE IT GO AWAY. For a summer at least

On "dollar cost average", I think Auston Matthews might end up being the worst one, since we are paying best player in the game money (this season) for a guy who scores a ton of goals but isn't an Art Ross threat, lacks leadership and intangibles of an alpha dog, has a soft reputation, and has questionable clutch abilities during the "big moments", however big you view first round playoff series. As our Crosby, McDavid, there's a lot lacking.

Conversely, if that alpha was a different player, I don't think you'd have nearly the same issues with Nylander slotting in at 2A or 3.

Reactions: LeafGrief

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
I will jump in here and complain when he is not first in points (with mitch) and first in goals on the team. And he probably wont be at the end of the season. So i save my complains a few more games...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I will jump in here and complain when he is not first in points (with mitch) and first in goals on the team. And he probably wont be at the end of the season. So i save my complains a few more games...

Jeez, I did not even know that. Points don’t matter that much. It’s how they play. You can see how soft they are. Berube can’t fix that. I don’t think anything is changing with this team come the post season. But worry not, the team will still get their 100+ points and those guys will have some flashy point totals after 82 games.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jeez, I did not even know that. Points don’t matter that much. It’s how they play. You can see how soft they are. Berube can’t fix that. I don’t think anything is changing with this team come the post season. But worry not, the team will still get their 100+ points and those guys will have some flashy point totals after 82 games.

Points matter a lot when you talk about such expensive players as Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Massive production should be an automatic and driving success, flowing from dominant play. Based on the amount of cap they eat up there’s absolutely no argument that we shouldn’t see these guys firmly in the top 3 to 15 in league scoring but we always seem to be explaining why we get less.

With superstar production details might be lacking there’s room to fine tune things and tighten up. We have a major malfunction when these guys aren’t producing and the details are poor too. Matthews game was unacceptable vs St. Louis. And Nylander’s turnover was just indicative.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Points matter a lot when you talk about such expensive players as Matthews, Marner and Nylander. Massive production should be an automatic and driving success, flowing from dominant play. Based on the amount of cap they eat up there’s absolutely no argument that we shouldn’t see these guys firmly in the top 3 to 15 in league scoring but we always seem to be explaining why we get less.

With superstar production details might be lacking there’s room to fine tune things and tighten up. We have a major malfunction when these guys aren’t producing and the details are poor too. Matthews game was unacceptable vs St. Louis. And Nylander’s turnover was just indicative.
3 in top 15 is being generous too imo

They make:

13.25M (1st in AAV)
11.5M (tied for 6th in AAV)
11M (tied for 9th in AAV)
10.93 (12th in AAV)

If we disregard 11M JT then thats 3 guys who are top 11 in AAV

League wide expectations should be

Matthews --> 2nd to 5th best player, who is top 5 in ppg + top 2 in gpg

Marner --> 6th-10th best player in the NHL who is top 7 in ppg/ross race and then can talk about some defensive strengths of his

Nylander --> 10th to 15th best player in the NHL who is top 10 in ppg and is one the best goals/assist threats in the league.

We should have 3 110-120 pt players in these three guys

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Contract was always dumb, but Nylander is the most consistent of our big guns. He'll probably score 40 and get 90+ points this year, while having stretches like this where he's not particularly engaged, and more while he's dominant. He's not driving the bus right now, but he'll have his moments to shine. Very much a #2 kind of player, that elite winger who goes with an elite centre and isn't the main guy, but comes up big for the team.

If Matthews was what we wished he was, Nylander would be perfect. There's no way of getting around the fact that his contract was renewed at top dollar during a career year, and it's damn frustrating that we'll be paying UFA price for our homegrown talent.

Anyways, Willy is a gamer who's been one of our more consistent playoff performers the last few years. I'd love to see him drag this team by the balls through whatever doldrums or Muskoka 5 hissy fits are currently going on, but I think he's so conditioned after the Dubas years that the team will follow Marner and Matthews' lead that he'll let them sort themselves out, rather than stepping up.

Why on earth did we bring in Marleau and Thornton during these guys formative years? 55 year old Chris Chelios would have been better.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

If you go by points per games played last season
Matthews was 6th
Marner was 11th
Nylander was 12th

Skullz

Jul 5, 2013
I think Nylander has by and large been quite good to start the year. His points are down because the PP has been garbage (which he is a part of), but 5 on 5, he has driven our best line.

Need more though. Liked his comments after the game: took full ownership.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
3 in top 15 is being generous too imo

They make:

13.25M (1st in AAV)
11.5M (tied for 6th in AAV)
11M (tied for 9th in AAV)
10.93 (12th in AAV)

If we disregard 11M JT then thats 3 guys who are top 11 in AAV

League wide expectations should be

Matthews --> 2nd to 5th best player, who is top 5 in ppg + top 2 in gpg

Marner --> 6th-10th best player in the NHL who is top 7 in ppg/ross race and then can talk about some defensive strengths of his

Nylander --> 10th to 15th best player in the NHL who is top 10 in ppg and is one the best goals/assist threats in the league.

We should have 3 110-120 pt players in these three guys

Yep.

Matthews in particular has been golden child for his whole career with Marner getting a lot of the blame and abuse for their failings as a duo.

Matthews is the highest paid player in the game and that’s firmly McDavid and Mackinnon, Draisaitl territory. But instead of your 140 point seasons were always trying to bargain for less production, some load management and try to budget for less here so they can win more in the post season. Meanwhile everywhere else, other superstars deliver on it all.

Leafs have given this core group everything and they are paid a premium as the elite of the elite. I don’t think it’s wrong to demand everything in return.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Nylander has by and large been quite good to start the year. His points are down because the PP has been garbage (which he is a part of), but 5 on 5, he has driven our best line.

Relative to pecking order Nylander is better than the other two.

Reactions: Skullz

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Still not enough consistency in his game. All players have off games now and then but at that price he can't just show up whenever he feels like it.

Reactions: Punch Drunk Loov

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad