Player Discussion William Nylander

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
One guys passing to the roccet winner other guy is passing to stone hands jt

Playing beside Matthew during the years you speak of what’s Nylander stats with Matthews?
Not sure can you provide them?

Nylander had a 120+ pace with JT in his contract year, ame JT that was falling off then as he is now?

What happened afterwards? Did the incentive go away after he got his contract?

Nylander has Domi at the moment who is the best fit for him to get 40-45G again and Domi is our best contract on the team. A crazy steal who produces like a 7-8M player given the role

His playmaking ideally picks up. McMann is scoring noe but unlikely to sustain. If robertson can get on that line amd show he belongs then he will have a great line where he can give 45G and 55A.

The linemates arent the problem for nylander. He has a great role on PP1 to get PP pts, has the 2nd best passer on the team feeding him the puck. If robertson/trade for external LW with goal scoring touch and speed can be brought in the 2nd line will be fit exactly to Nylanders stregths.

He isnt playing with the corpse of JT anymore this year

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Not sure can you provide them?

Nylander had a 120+ pace with JT in his contract year, ame JT that was falling off then as he is now?

What happened afterwards? Did the incentive go away after he got his contract?

Nylander has Domi at the moment who is the best fit for him to get 40-45G again and Domi is our best contract on the team. A crazy steal who produces like a 7-8M player given the role

His playmaking ideally picks up. McMann is scoring noe but unlikely to sustain. If robertson can get on that line amd show he belongs then he will have a great line where he can give 45G and 55A.

The linemates arent the problem for nylander. He has a great role on PP1 to get PP pts, has the 2nd best passer on the team feeding him the puck. If robertson/trade for external LW with goal scoring touch and speed can be brought in the 2nd line will be fit exactly to Nylanders stregths.

He isnt playing with the corpse of JT anymore this year
But your still holding him to a standard where the two best players by everyone’s opinion are playing together with the best left winger on the team it just doesn’t seem to add up from my view point you should be directing what you have to say to the top line guys that get best of everything

Jun 27, 2005
One guys passing to the roccet winner other guy is passing to stone hands jt

Playing beside Matthew during the years you speak of what’s Nylander stats with Matthews?
Last 3 seasons 5v5 to get the samples sizes up:

Player 1Player 2Player 3Player 4GPTOIGFGA+/-GF/60GA/60GF%
Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William Nylanderw/o John Tavares
205​
1808​
120​
74​
46​
3.98​
2.46​
61.86​
w/o Auston MatthewsMitchell Marnerw/o William NylanderJohn Tavares
215​
889​
45​
29​
16​
3.04​
1.96​
60.81​
Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam Nylanderw/o John Tavares
227​
829​
50​
33​
17​
3.62​
2.39​
60.24​
w/o Auston Matthewsw/o Mitchell MarnerWilliam NylanderJohn Tavares
237​
1559​
72​
83​
-11​
2.77​
3.19​
46.45​

Marner plays with JT about as much as Nylander plays with Matthews.
Marner with Matthews is better offense.
Marner with JT is equal to Nylander with Matthews because of much better defense.
Nylander with JT is horrible offense and horrible defence.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
But your still holding him to a standard where the two best players by everyone’s opinion are playing together with the best left winger on the team it just doesn’t seem to add up from my view point you should be directing what you have to say to the top line guys that get best of everything
The top line doesnt get the best of everything

Marner and Matthews will get a crap ton of expectations and they do face often the best defenses.

Playing those two together isnt best for the team though. They become too predictable and cant produce well come playoffs

Ideally if only Nylander could play center. Him and marner would be the perfect duo and then Domi + Knies with Matthews

The problem with Marner and Domi together would be both are our two best passers, if we play them together there is a lack of shooter on the line

Thats why each plays with our teo best shooters/scorers in 34 and 88

Knies plays top line LW because of his size and ability to hound pucks.

McMann this year hasnt been much worse if at all then Knies. Similar size, physical and gritty play, and a strong shot

LT Knies should be clear 1LW with Cowan hopefully as 2LW.

For now we are running lines which make sense based on chemistry, position and fit.

Having Nylander + Matthews would be a risk since both are aggresive shooters and nylander defers to often with Matthews

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Offensively he is producing like he wants to get run out of town atm

7 in 7... those are terrible numbers

Hopefully as team gets better offensively his numbers go up and he gives up 90-100 pts to come close to being worth 10-11M

Him and Marner have produced the most of the big 4 forwards but all have disapointed heavily so far

Going to be a crowded bus!

He'll be taking 2nd. seat on the bus to Matthews.

Matthews, $13.25mm for 35 goal pace.
marner on pace for 12 goals and minus a billion.
Tavares on pace for 56 points, slight decline leading to major paycut.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Scrooge! In keeping with the situation!

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Yup offensively its a mess

Hopefully its early season blues all around

For everyone but Tavares I would expect a large increase in production

Tavares at 56 is exceeding his play and my expectations tbh with how far hes fallen

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

Since Marner did not play well yesterday in a game where just about everyone mailed it n and as a result was a minus 3 for the game. He currently sits at minus 2. Does that mean he was on track to be plus half a billion before the game? Lmao!

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Since Marner did not play well yesterday in a game where just about everyone mailed it n and as a result was a minus 3 for the game. He currently sits at minus 2. Does that mean he was on track to be plus half a billion before the game? Lmao!

Yes, indeed.

He obviously, has lost his way, and I'll have to change my vote and say, "Do not re-sign!"

marner, like Nylander offensively and like Rielly defensively, "he is producing like he wants to get run out of town atm."

In keeping with the situation ... and the extremes of the fringe outer edges of fans of the player and not the team.

Reactions: arso40

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
At 11.5M I need him finishing top 5-7 for the ross

Matthews top 3 for the hart+rocket

Marner top 5-7 for the ross as well

Doubt any of them will live up to that though. Maybe Matthews.

Severe overpayments will result in very high expectations for the core

Would a top 5 finish for the Hart be sufficient? Currently sitting in 58 goal pace isn't exactly slacking in impact. I'm not sure a few extra secondary assists to pad point totals really matters all that much

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Would a top 5 finish for the Hart be sufficient? Currently sitting in 58 goal pace isn't exactly slacking in impact. I'm not sure a few extra secondary assists to pad point totals really matters all that much
Goals have never and wont ever matter for me

I need ross finish

58 goals wont be preserved so hopefully can break 100 pts or so

Hes about 3.5M overpaid so far this year. Very early so has time tk bounce back

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55 and arso40

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Goals have never and wont ever matter for me

I need ross finish

58 goals wont be preserved so hopefully can break 100 pts or so

Hes about 3.5M overpaid so far this year. Very early

When it comes to contracts they should have a private system for all teams. Really simple.

G=3pts
1A=2pts
2A=1pt

Suddenly 2nd A getters feel it in the pocketbook. Rightfully so too. Marner is overpaid huge. Nylander too.

Maybe when I am done my travels for the day I will tabulate what that looks like for the big 3 in pts.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224 and arso40

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Offensively he is producing like he wants to get run out of town atm

7 in 7... those are terrible numbers

Hopefully as team gets better offensively his numbers go up and he gives up 90-100 pts to come close to being worth 10-11M

Him and Marner have produced the most of the big 4 forwards but all have disapointed heavily so far
And there were people (still one or two) raving about how JT was easily earning $11M several years ago because he was almost a PPG player.

Now people are complaining that a player who has been 1.13 PPG over the last two seasons (and currently leads the team in goals and points) is *only* PPG after 7 games?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
7 in 7 is TERRIBLE? How about you relax a bit and wait until they've played another 10-15 games or so and then we can determine just how overpaid they are. There are plenty of other elite players that are at a similar pace to start the season, so to call it terrible just because he isn't producing at a monster rate right out of the gate seems a bit ridiculous to me.
It's a good thing he didn't look far enough down the list to see what Matthews and Tavares are doing!:sarcasm:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
HE wanted the Matthews/Marner money

7 in 7 is horrific for that level of production

I do agree we will wait a bit longer ajd see how his season goes, but he should be feeling the heat and getting ready to be hated on if he cant be a 100ish pt player at minimum this year

No excuses for 88, he is playing with domi who has been the best center on the team and is continuing his play from a strong playoffs last year. McMann is also on his line and he has been as productive as Knies so far.

100 pts is an acceptable year for a 11.5M player

He needs to produce, without having excuses made for him.
Tavares at $11M never hit 90 points in a season in 6 tries.

Marner at $11M never hit 100 points in a season in 5 tries.

Matthews at $11M hit 100 points twice in 5 tries.

But let's dump on the guy who, at $7M, only missed 100 points by 2, and who has played a total of 7 games at $11M.

• Haha

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The line of McMann -- Domi -- Nylander has been by far the Leafs best trio. Willy doesn't need an + $11 mil #1C to drive offense for the Leafs on his own line.

The trio have combined for 8 goals 9 assists 17 points and a +15 +/-

1729701622764.png

The weakest link defensively in Leafs top 12 scorers is Marner who is the only negative +/- player at -2 being on the ice for more goals against that goals for at 5v5 even strength.

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Tavares at $11M never hit 90 points in a season in 6 tries.

Marner at $11M never hit 100 points in a season in 5 tries.

Matthews at $11M hit 100 points twice in 5 tries.

But let's dump on the guy who, at $7M, only missed 100 points by 2, and who has played a total of 7 games at $11M.
Nylander makes 11.5M, his 1 year choking heavily away a 110 pt season doesnt matter

I am not dumping on nylander. This is a pre-dump, a taste of what he will get if things dont sort themselves out. He brought it upon himself being money driven. He didnt want 9-10M.

He needed that 11.5M payday so we need that 100-120 pt season.

Is it emotional and too quick, yes. But Nylander has no excuses now. Hes making more than all hid comparable and internally he makes more than Marner

Every bad play will be overanalyzed

Every pointless game will be heavily scruntized

Every defensive gaffe zeroed in on

Tavares is a bum, overpaid EVERY year of his deal. If nylander is comparing to that loser then leafs are screwed

Marner like I mentioned in an earlier post pacing for 104 pts last 3 years was considered barely worth 9-10M

Matthews has 3 rockets, 1 hart+1finalisf + 1 lindsay+1 finalist. He is already at a point where he is a hall of famer, the only member of the core to do so

Nylander needs 100+ pts this year or 100 pt pace if injured to be worth somewhat close to his deal.

The nylander fanboys are going to be joining up with the marner fanboys this season, with expectations being higher than ever before for these two

Both wingers need to make the ALL-NHL teams (top 3-4 wingers) to be worth these horrrifc deals

Last edited:

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
When it comes to contracts they should have a private system for all teams. Really simple.

G=3pts
1A=2pts
2A=1pt

Suddenly 2nd A getters feel it in the pocketbook. Rightfully so too. Marner is overpaid huge. Nylander too.

Maybe when I am done my travels for the day I will tabulate what that looks like for the big 3 in pts.
This is usually the case for flawed players who cant pass a puck and are behind better elite players

OV from 2012ish onwards Matthews, Brett Hull etc.,

These guys have little to no offensive vision and play making skills and effort so people discredit assist to make them look better

In the playoffs strong playmakers with goal scoring as secondary attribute do better than pure goal scorers

Mackinnon
Drai
Mcdavid
Crosby
Malkin
Kane
Kuch

Vs

OV
Matthews
Kovy
Heatley
Stamkos
Brett Hull

I need total production, not 65G and 30A, or 35G and 60A. We need these guys ti be contending for all the major awards this year (ross, hart, lindsay, rocket)

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
The line of McMann -- Domi -- Nylander has been by far the Leafs best trio.
Knies - Matthews - Marner has been the best line.
The weakest link defensively in Leafs top 12 scorers is Marner who is the only negative +/- player at -2 being on the ice for more goals against that goals for at 5v5 even strength.
Marner has not been the weakest link defensively, or on the ice for more goals against than for at 5v5. +/- is also not a defensive stat.

• Haha

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
The line of McMann -- Domi -- Nylander has been by far the Leafs best trio. Willy doesn't need an + $11 mil #1C to drive offense for the Leafs on his own line.

The trio have combined for 8 goals 9 assists 17 points and a +15 +/-

View attachment 920533

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

There is no world where Marner is the worst forward defensively on this team and if you were honest you know that.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
And there were people (still one or two) raving about how JT was easily earning $11M several years ago because he was almost a PPG player.

Now people are complaining that a player who has been 1.13 PPG over the last two seasons (and currently leads the team in goals and points) is *only* PPG after 7 games?
You just don't understand man, being at a pace for 58 goals is TERRIBLE, he should at least be on pace for 60 this far into the season. :sarcasm:

IronHookem

Nov 8, 2023
When did nylander become incapable of passing? 82 pts for 11.5M.

dude is sucking right now

You dickriding him isnt going change that. Only he can improve his production
He has been fine man, you just cant seem to see the difference between being a bad player versus being an overpaid player.

Also, you conveniently ignored my other response that mentioned other elite talent with the same price tag or higher being at a similar pace this early in the season, proving how pointless it is to measure a players worth based on 7 regular season games.

Reactions: notDatsyuk

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Nylander makes 11.5M, his 1 year choking heavily away a 110 pt season doesnt matter

I am not dumping on nylander. This is a pre-dump, a taste of what he will get if things dont sort themselves out. He brought it upon himself being money driven. He didnt want 9-10M.

He needed that 11.5M payday so we need that 100-120 pt season.

Is it emotional and too quick, yes. But Nylander has no excuses now. Hes making more than all hid comparable and internally he makes more than Marner

Every bad play will be overanalyzed

Every pointless game will be heavily scruntized

Every defensive gaffe zeroed in on

Tavares is a bum, overpaid EVERY year of his deal. If nylander is comparing to that loser then leafs are screwed

Marner like I mentioned in an earlier post pacing for 104 pts last 3 years was considered barely worth 9-10M

Matthews has 3 rockets, 1 hart+1finalisf + 1 lindsay+1 finalist. He is already at a point where he is a hall of famer, the only member of the core to do so

Nylander needs 100+ pts this year or 100 pt pace if injured to be worth somewhat close to his deal.

The nylander fanboys are going to be joining up with the marner fanboys this season, with expectations being higher than ever before for these two

Both wingers need to make the ALL-NHL teams (top 3-4 wingers) to be worth these horrrifc deals
Sorry - $11.5 rather than $11. Is that really relevant?

I've no idea what you mean by "choking away a 110 point season". Is that supposed to be about last season when he made $7M (oops, sorry - $6.9M). Similar to how Matthews "choked away" a 328 goal season?

So you're complaining about something that doesn't exist? Makes perfect sense.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
When did nylander become incapable of passing? 82 pts for 11.5M.

dude is sucking right now

You dickriding him isnt going change that. Only he can improve his production
If you watch the games you might notice that the problem is not his passing but the receiving and burying the chances by the recipients.

Sure, let's whine about the guy who's been (with the possible exception of Stolarz) our best player most nights.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad