Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Scenarios in which the Coyotes get a better contract from Raanta after deadline: ...

Scenarios which result in not signing Raanta or signing him to a heavier deal: everything else

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
You have literally spent the entire season talking about how dumb the coaching hire was and how for reasons you can't explain, we need an independent president of hockey ops to oversee Chayka because he isn't experienced enough to make good decisions on his own.

Now, I express a desire to put ourselves in a favourable position moving forward and not handing the keys to the kingdom or all the leverage to a player agent, and I'm a heretic for doubting the master plan.

Chayka is a wizard at trades. Just a little wet behind the ears in some other areas.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Scenarios in which the Coyotes get a better contract from Raanta after deadline: ...

Scenarios which result in not signing Raanta or signing him to a heavier deal: everything else
Really? So Raanta tears his groin tomorrow and misses rest of the season and that helps him? Raanta puts up a .850 Louis Domingue performance the balance of the season and that helps him?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I actually considered an injury, and the answer is no, it doesn't help us sign him. If he's injured and our offer goes down, he has even more reason to test the market and see where his value lies. That makes us less likely to even sign him, not more likely.

You either decide you're happy with him as the solution in net and sign him to a reasonable deal. Or you you're not sure or not able to sign him to a reasonable contract and you move him for an asset. Those should be the only questions on the table.
"Yes, I like him, but I'll deal with it later" only puts more risk on the team striking out completely or having to overpay him.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I actually considered an injury, and the answer is no, it doesn't help us sign him. If he's injured and our offer goes down, he has even more reason to test the market and see where his value lies. That makes us less likely to even sign him, not more likely.

You either decide you're happy with him as the solution in net and sign him to a reasonable deal. Or you you're not sure or not able to sign him to a reasonable contract and you move him for an asset. Those should be the only questions on the table.
"Yes, I like him, but I'll deal with it later" only puts more risk on the team striking out completely or having to overpay him.
"Yes, I like him, but I'll deal with it later" is your interpretation. It could very well be "It's clear both sides are motivated to make it work and the high level numbers are reasonable for both sides and I have no doubt we'll get something finalized, but right now I want Raanta focused on winning and I've got a big ass TDL to work on". Would that make you feel better?

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Not really, because if you're really that close there's no reason not to just close the deal.

After the deadline, all the pressure is on Chayka to improve his offer or lose his asset for nothing. The closer to the opening of free agency, the easier it is for Raanta to say, "I think we're close, but I'll just wait a few months/weeks/days and see what is out there". Both those things are bad for the team negotiating the deal.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Then why not sign the deal before the deadline and remove all risk for the Coyotes???
Chayka is smart to wait until after the TDL. Another team might pay a very good return for Raanta because they need him for a playoff run. Chayka is keeping this option open by waiting. He also gets a few more games out of Raanta to be sure he wants to sign him to some term. Chayka has plenty of time before Raanta is a UFA to work out a deal. There are not many teams that have room for a number 1 goalie anyway, so not many suiters. Again, I hope we sign him but there is no rush now before the TDL.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If they're not close enough to close a deal, they really aren't close enough to take on the extra risk. You don't put yourself in a bad spot to potentially lose an asset at worst and at best weaken your bargaining position just on account of it being too busy a week for you. Skip one of your highly regimented meals and close the deal. Sign him or deal him. # or get off the pot.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
If they're not close enough to close a deal, they really aren't close enough to take on the extra risk. You don't put yourself in a bad spot to potentially lose an asset at worst and at best weaken your bargaining position just on account of it being too busy a week for you. Skip one of your highly regimented meals and close the deal. Sign him or deal him. # or get off the pot.
I disagree about the leverage the Raanta camp would enjoy post TDL. I don't think Chayka is shaking in his boots about missing out on a Raanta trade package. Nor should he be. I don't think the Raanta camp believes he is either. Nor should they. Especially if the agent has expressed his client's strong desire to stay and both sides are confident and hopeful. These things aren't always the Art of War.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Based on the luke warm return Detroit got for Mrazek, I don't care all that much if Chayka keeps Raanta without signing him yet. I'd a gamble but presumably an educated one ("high level talks") and the opportunity cost seems surprisingly low.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I get the sense that Raanta is happy that we gave him a chance to become a starter. I fully expect him signed.

Trading Rieder and bringing in Kuemper is whatever. Wedgewood clearly wasn't going to be the backup next year, and we got a head start on our search.

I'm still holding on to hope.

drgregg

SLAP CHOP
Jun 7, 2012
as seen on TV
The next week can be "for the future", too, so..
I'm usually on board for your schtick, but come on, this feels like simply being gloomy for the sake of being gloomy.

My only disappointment about this trade is that I can't get too excited about backup goaltending, unless it sucks. I would have been happier if we had gotten a right handed shot anything for Reider, but solidifying the goal tandem is important too.

Dirty Old Man

Old but not really dirty
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
I'm usually on board for your schtick, but come on, this feels like simply being gloomy for the sake of being gloomy.

that's funny, because I'm not as likely to be on board for his schtick, but the first thing I thought was "this week, anyway"...very close to his line :D

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

My only disappointment about this trade is that I can't get too excited about backup goaltending, unless it sucks. I would have been happier if we had gotten a right handed shot anything for Reider, but solidifying the goal tandem is important too.
I don't like the plan of picking up Plan B combined with handing all the leverage to the agent of Plan A. It makes it easier to do something dumb at both extremes. If he resigns both of them, I'll be thrilled. If he resigns Raanta before the deadline, this was a good plan. If not, I see too many ways to go sideways. Just my take. Also, forgive me for being cynical about the public statements of a general manager at deadline time regarding "key," "core", or " important " players. It's marketing talk. To you or to prospective buyers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad