Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If we knew we didn't have the money, we should have dealt him for something that would help us. That's even worse.

Reactions: Name Nameless

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Yikes. Mistake not to trade him then.
We can't keep trading our home grown top players because we don't want to pay them market value. We haven't recovered from the Yandle trade either.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
We can't keep trading our home grown top players because we don't want to pay them market value. We haven't recovered from the Yandle trade either.
He played like a 4m D all of last season. He’s alternated between playing like a 4m D and a 7m D for small spurts for most of this season. It’s been too long since he’s deserved consideration for the kinds of contracts folks are talking about here.

If that’s what he thinks he’s worth, we made a mistake not trading him. If he played the rest of that contract like he’s played this season, it would be a complete disaster.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
He played like a 4m D all of last season. He’s alternated between playing like a 4m D and a 7m D for small spurts for most of this season. It’s been too long since he’s deserved consideration for the kinds of contracts folks are talking about here.

If that’s what he thinks he’s worth, we made a mistake not trading him. If he played the rest of that contract like he’s played this season, it would be a complete disaster.

I'm not disagreeing rt on whether or not a trade would be good to the franchise but it's fairly obvious that the plan is to hand OEL a blank check and overpay him to get him to stay. I get disagreeing with it but this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. If it is, I'm curious what you thought was going on.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Sadly, when I lurk around in threads about "most overrated player in the NHL" OEL is a very popular name to mention.

There is quality in his play obviously. Don't know exactly what to make of it, but I'm afraid he is not entirely as good as that kind of super-contract would imply. Thinking he should have been traded at the dead-line that was, but no. For all we know, they might have hoped for some big offers, and didn't get it.

Just hoping they resign Raanta... OEL has one more season on his current contract though. So he can still be traded if they don't think the asking price and what they will pay mesh.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I see these posts where folks think OEL will get 8m and more on his next contract? I wish people would make suggestions on what team has the cap to fit him into their lineup.
He certainly isn't a top 5 Dman in the league, probably not in the top 15. I know there might be one sucker that will overpay him, but the it's going to be a very short list of suitors.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
$4M for Darling is about right for a starter, and Carolina thought he was ready for that job, just like the Yotes think Raanta is for us. I would expect to pay 3.5 - 4M/yr. for Raanta, and if we have to maybe a bit more, but I don't see anyone outbid us. I we walk away from Raanta a $4M/yr. then we know AB does not have the funds for OEL and Raanta, which could be the case.
4 year/$16.6M for Darling.....that's a fair deal for Raanta and the Coyotes. Right term, right $$$

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I see these posts where folks think OEL will get 8m and more on his next contract? I wish people would make suggestions on what team has the cap to fit him into their lineup.
He certainly isn't a top 5 Dman in the league, probably not in the top 15. I know there might be one sucker that will overpay him, but the it's going to be a very short list of suitors.
With the Cap going up to potentially $82m, fitting OEL at $8m won't be a problem for many teams. There will be a least 2-3 teams that'll go in big for OEL if given the opportunity.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

The whole team played like s--- the first part of the year, but OEL is playing great hockey right now. Bobby Orr would look like a $4M D if playing with Schenn, Murphy or Stone.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The whole team played like s--- the first part of the year, but OEL is playing great hockey right now. Bobby Orr would look like a $4M D if playing with Schenn, Murphy or Stone.
Bobby Orr would make Schenn/Murphy/Stone look like Duncan Keith:)

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
With the Cap going up to potentially $82m, fitting OEL at $8m won't be a problem for many teams. There will be a least 2-3 teams that'll go in big for OEL if given the opportunity.
That’s a decent point. I should probably look at it as “what percentage of the cap is this guy worth” rather than being hung up on the number itself. I’m always two years behind on salary expectations anyway. I have been for 10 years. Or is it 12?

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
For Raanta, doubt we pay 4 mill unless it is shorter like 2 years. I think it will be 4 years at 3-3.5 mill.
That'd be great value. I'd rather have Raanta at that cap hit than Bobrosvky at whatever his next contract is (8 mil?)

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
from my memory Yandle didn't do much after moving on though? would have been nice if duclair turned into something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad