Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Of course he wants more term then 2 years. If his options are 2 years at 4 mill, 3 years at 3.5 mill, or 4 years at 3 mill, what does he do? I don't see Raanta wanting a 1 year prove it deal at 4 mill. But, if he took a 1 year deal and played well next year like he has the last 6 weeks, he would have proven he is a solid starter. then, he might get 5-6 mill for 3 or 4 years. His injury at the start of the year is what clouds his value.
It's going to be interesting. I would have to think the Yotes have a pretty good idea what Raanta is thinking so the next few days will be interesting.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Here's some good news from a reputable source for you folks, it's from Lebrun. No guarantees obviously.

Antti Rantta is a pending UFA but the Coyotes don't intend moving him at the deadline. The hope is to begin contract talks after the deadline at some point to get him re-signed

Reactions: RABBIT

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
I find it hard to believe that we haven't at least bounced some numbers off his agent and there's been some sort of preliminary discuss to figure out what he's looking for. I imagine Chayka basically told him that they wished to keep him, but there's other business to attend to concerning other players on the team that they need to deal with before the trade deadline passes, and once that happens, then he'd be more open to talking about contract extensions with any RFA's/UFA's.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Get it done or move him. His leverage just goes up if we sit on him and approach free agency. You wait too long and there's literally nothing for him to lose by just shopping around.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Get it done or move him. His leverage just goes up if we sit on him and approach free agency. You wait too long and there's literally nothing for him to lose by just shopping around.

Chayka's going to wait until zero hour at the deadline to see if some team panics - I betcha if Raanta doesn't leave at the deadline that we'll see an extension within a week or two.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If you think he's a starter on a reasonable deal, why trade him instead of locking him up? If you think he's not a starter or isn't willing to take a reasonable deal, why wouldn't you trade him no matter what the return?
If a GM waits til after the deadline, then the GM has to sign him or risk looking like an idiot. That's not the sort of circumstance that lends to a favourable deal (for us).

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
To me, everything is pointing towards the direction of a fairly straightforward contract extension. And so should it be if either parties are reasonable enough and see the common opportunity.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't like the idea of the Coyotes "hoping" nor doing so after the deadline.

You guys act as if Chayka is dumb. The way it sounds they have had "high level talks". Both parties knows what each other wants and if the Yotes are not trading him at TTD, then I would bet he will be a Coyote next year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You guys act as if Chayka is dumb. The way it sounds they have had "high level talks". Both parties knows what each other wants and if the Yotes are not trading him at TTD, then I would bet he will be a Coyote next year.
Then why not sign the deal before the deadline and remove all risk for the Coyotes???

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then why not sign the deal before the deadline and remove all risk for the Coyotes???
If both parties have agreed in principle they have plenty of time to finalize a deal. If Chayka thinks a deal can not be reached Raanta is gonzo at TTD. He won't lose him for nothing, and if he does he should be fired.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You guys act as if Chayka is dumb.
You have literally spent the entire season talking about how dumb the coaching hire was and how for reasons you can't explain, we need an independent president of hockey ops to oversee Chayka because he isn't experienced enough to make good decisions on his own.

Now, I express a desire to put ourselves in a favourable position moving forward and not handing the keys to the kingdom or all the leverage to a player agent, and I'm a heretic for doubting the master plan.

Reactions: Lilhoody

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If both parties have agreed in principle they have plenty of time to finalize a deal. If Chayka thinks a deal can not be reached Raanta is gonzo at TTD. He won't lose him for nothing, and if he does he should be fired.
Then sign the deal while leverage in sorta equal rather than after the deadline when the Coyotes have none. How hard is that?? You like the deal offered Raanta, sign it now before we start to doubt your intentions.

Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You have literally spent the entire season talking about how dumb the coaching hire was and how for reasons you can't explain, we need an independent president of hockey ops to oversee Chayka because he isn't experienced enough to make good decisions on his own.

Now, I express a desire to put ourselves in a favourable position moving forward and not handing the keys to the kingdom or all the leverage to a player agent, and I'm a heretic for doubting the master plan.
Whoa there bucko. I have said more than one that RT was my choice of the one's interviewed, but I would have interviewed more people. I still maintain we need someone to over see Chayka, but that has nothing to do about being dumb, rather inexperienced. I have also mentioned more than once that I have liked most of Chayka's moves, but some have not transpired to the ice. Let Chayka do his job, if he f---s up, then scream and holler, until then try a chill pill.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Then sign the deal while leverage in sorta equal rather than after the deadline when the Coyotes have none. How hard is that?? You like the deal offered Raanta, sign it now before we start to doubt your intentions.
Maybe, the Coyotes think like you and want to see Raanta play more games before they decide and believe waiting is better than making a mistake now, OR they already have a handshake deal.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
play more games before they decide and believe waiting is .

His injury in part caused this problem I think, that's why we heard almost nothing about Raanta's potential deal until just recently. But now they have 3 very good months and 1 meh one from him, plus his time with the Rangers.

One other thing I've been wondering about, the Coyotes don't seem to come to terms with players during the season....ever? In fact I know a couple specific examples where both Chayka and Maloney said they were waiting for the offseason.

I can't think of the last time it has happened. Anyone know? Is it OEL cause that was a long ass time ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad