Confirmed with Link: Will Smith signs ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Eh. At this point we have exactly two young players that have shown they can be viable NHL pieces going forward - Eklund and Zetterlund. Everyone else is a crapshoot. Highly touted guys don't pan out as often as they do Kakko is practically a healthy scratch in NY. Kent Johnson is underwhelming, Drysdale, Dach, Turcotte etc. We have a lot of picks still even if we move 14 and a future first. I'd still put protections on it and frankly if we're still picking bottom 5 two years from now with Brady, Celebrini, Ek, Smith etc. then something has gone horribly wrong.

If I had the choice of 10 dollars and 10 dollars in lotto tickets, I'd take the 10 dollars every time.
Brady Tkachuk is $6.50 but he costs 10 dollars to aquire

I'd prefer the chance at a real difference maker rather than acquiring an overpaid complimentary piece for 120 cents on the dollar when you have to either overpay him in 5 years or liquidate the asset once again when you could have just drafted a higher value asset at the top of the draft

Brady Tkachuk teams finish bottom 10 basically every year, he doesn't move the needle in Ottawa, why would it be different in San Jose?

He's such a unicorn that he's played 0 playoff games yet is held up as some kind of awesome leader, the most valuable thing he brings is his last name because it tricks people into confusing him for his much more talented brother

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Brady Tkachuk is $6.50 but he costs 10 dollars to aquire

I'd prefer the chance at a real difference maker rather than acquiring an overpaid complimentary piece for 120 cents on the dollar when you have to either overpay him in 5 years or liquidate the asset once again when you could have just drafted a higher value asset at the top of the draft

Brady Tkachuk teams finish bottom 10 basically every year, he doesn't move the needle in Ottawa, why would it be different in San Jose?

He's such a unicorn that he's played 0 playoff games yet is held up as some kind of awesome leader, the most valuable thing he brings is his last name because it tricks people into confusing him for his much more talented brother
Ottawa, like Buffalo, are complete organizational failure stemming from the ownership on down. There's a reason Eichel immediately became a clutch postseason player and had a monster playoff run leading to a cup his first full season with the team. And you know how much it pains me to compliment a Vegas player.

The 6.50 player costing 10 dollars is ridiculous. It's more like the family guy joke

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Ottawa, like Buffalo, are complete organizational failure stemming from the ownership on down. There's a reason Eichel immediately became a clutch postseason player and had a monster playoff run leading to a cup his first full season with the team. And you know how much it pains me to compliment a Vegas player.
The current Sharks are in the same category, we've done a good job clearing organizational rot but the only success we've experienced since 2019 is that we had the worst season in 30 years

There's no infrastructure to hang a piece like Tkachuk upon, he relies on other players to make him better, not the other way around, those pieces are what we should be targeting with our 1st round picks whether by drafting with them or trading them for established players

If you were talking about trading a future 1st for a 24 year old Jack Eichel it would be a different conversation, he's worth that kind of investment, Brady Tkachuk is not

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
The current Sharks are in the same category, we've done a good job clearing organizational rot but the only success we've experienced since 2019 is that we had the worst season in 30 years

There's no infrastructure to hang a piece like Tkachuk upon, he relies on other players to make him better, not the other way around, those pieces are what we should be targeting with our 1st round picks whether by drafting with them or trading them for established players

If you were talking about trading a future 1st for a 24 year old Jack Eichel it would be a different conversation, he's worth that kind of investment, Brady Tkachuk is not
We'll have to agree to disagree, but pinpointing the failures of an organization that's had more negative press off the ice the positive press on it on Brady and his inability to lead the team to the postseason isn't fair to someone who was thrust into the captaincy and is only 24 years old. Jack Hughes has been there all of one time in 5 seasons with considerably more talent around him.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

People are obsessed with Brady Tkachuk because he gets in scrums and runs his mouth and is 6’4”, but I just don’t see it. His conduct on the ice so obnoxious that I find myself rooting against him even when he’s playing for Team USA. He’s mean between the whistles but I don’t think he really even plays like a power forward. He can pull off some very high-skill plays but he’s so poor defensively and inconsistent and doesn’t really assert himself physically the way you’d want someone of his size to. He was a ghost for the US in the games that mattered this spring outside of a couple nice individual efforts.

There’s no way I’d give up half the value that it would take to land him.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
I'm to lazy to look it up, but by memory has there ever been a 1st overall that didn't make the jump instantly? The only 1 that i can think it might of happened with was the Wright draft and Montreal 1st.

The last forward to be drafted 1OA and not play in the NHL the following season is Eric Lindros. Look it up. Ovie doesn't count because 04-05 NHL season was cancelled.

Even 1OA goalies like MAF and DiPietro went straight to the NHL.

0 chance Mackdaddy doesn't go straight to the NHL.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and DG93

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
The last forward to be drafted 1OA and not play in the NHL the following season is Eric Lindros. Look it up. Ovie doesn't count because 04-05 NHL season was cancelled.

Even 1OA goalies like MAF and DiPietro went straight to the NHL.

0 chance Mackdaddy doesn't go straight to the NHL.
Eric Lindros?

• Haha
Reactions: landshark

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
We'll have to agree to disagree, but pinpointing the failures of an organization that's had more negative press off the ice the positive press on it on Brady and his inability to lead the team to the postseason isn't fair to someone who was thrust into the captaincy and is only 24 years old. Jack Hughes has been there all of one time in 5 seasons with considerably more talent around him.
I don't blame Tkachuk for not dragging a bad team to the playoffs, he's just not that caliber of player

But since he's not that caliber of player I wouldn't risk trading a top 5 pick for him

You brought up Hughes, I'd absolutely trade next year's unprotected 1st for him no questions asked, but that's because he's a legitimate difference maker who scores at a high level, Tkachuk is not

People are obsessed with Brady Tkachuk because he gets in scrums and runs his mouth and is 6’4”, but I just don’t see it. His conduct on the ice so obnoxious that I find myself rooting against him even when he’s playing for Team USA. He’s mean between the whistles but I don’t think he really even plays like a power forward. He can pull off some very high-skill plays but he’s so poor defensively and inconsistent and doesn’t really assert himself physically the way you’d want someone of his size to. He was a ghost for the US in the games that mattered this spring outside of a couple nice individual efforts.

There’s no way I’d give up half the value that it would take to land him.
I think it's a confluence of things that skew people's perception of him

High pick in a Canadian market
Gifted the captaincy early
Dad who played
Brother who currently plays (who is actually a huge difference maker)
Plays a rough game a lot of fans romanticize

It helps them ignore that he actually doesn't do any single thing at an elite level outside of generate shots in the slot, but he actually converts on those at an average rate, and he does a lot of other things quite poorly

He's Zach Hyman with a bad attitude and a great PR team, I'm sure he'd also look awesome playing with Connor McDavid

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think it's a confluence of things that skew people's perception of him

High pick in a Canadian market
Gifted the captaincy early
Dad who played
Brother who currently plays (who is actually a huge difference maker)
Plays a rough game a lot of fans romanticize

It helps them ignore that he actually doesn't do any single thing at an elite level outside of generate shots in the slot, but he's actually converts on those at an average rate, and he does a lot of other things quite poorly

He's Zach Hyman with a bad attitude and a great PR team, I'm sure he'd also look awesome playing with Connor McDavid
I do think Brady is more skilled than someone like Hyman but otherwise totally agree. I’d trade the pick for Matthew in a heartbeat, love that player.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Are we really acting like Zach Hyman hasn't developed into an incredible player? He's peak Pavelski 2.0.

Reactions: Patty Ice

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't blame Tkachuk for not dragging a bad team to the playoffs, he's just not that caliber of player
And I don't think we necessarily need a play driver to play with Celebrini or Smith. I think one of the premiere power forwards would be an ideal fit but that's just me.

Again, I'm not giving up an unprotected first.

Are we really acting like Zach Hyman hasn't developed into an incredible player? He's peak Pavelski 2.0.
Yeah, I didn't think being a 50 goal scorer was such a negative.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Of course not. Hyman is excellent at what he does. But let’s not pretend he would put up the numbers he is without the situation he’s in. Frankly, I think he’s a better player than Brady Tkachuk in a vacuum. But Hyman is not an especially “skilled” player. He’s not a 1st liner without riding shotgun to a superstar center.

Reactions: weastern bias

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Of course not. Hyman is excellent at what he does. But let’s not pretend he would put up the numbers he is without the situation he’s in. Frankly, I think he’s a better player than Brady Tkachuk in a vacuum. But Hyman is not an especially “skilled” player. He’s not a 1st liner without riding shotgun to a superstar center.
Sign me up for a 24 year old Hyman level player (with the ability to fight) who lacks the trade protection to veto a trade to the Sharks and has the perfect amount of term remaining on his contract for us to evaluate whether he's a long term core player or a massive trade chip just as Celebrini and Smith's ELCs expire.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
And I don't think we necessarily need a play driver to play with Celebrini or Smith. I think one of the premiere power forwards would be an ideal fit but that's just me.

Again, I'm not giving up an unprotected first.
We need a play driver to play on the other lines, a complimentary winger who is already on an overpaid contract isn't worth a top 5 pick

I know you've said you think it won't be a top 5 pick in 2 years if we protect it, but that just isn't realistic, with a Tkachuk trade we'd be adding 2 rookie centers and one 30 goal power forward to the worst team iced since the salary cap, the defense is still so bad that we're not crawling out of the basement by adding 3 forwards, 2 of whom having played 0 NHL games and the other having played 0 playoff games

I like Hyman a lot (though I don't quite see the Pavelski comparison, very different players), I'm just saying I wouldn't trade one of our own 1sts for him or a player like him while we're still at the bottom of our rebuild

Sign me up for a 24 year old Hyman level player (with the ability to fight) who lacks the trade protection to veto a trade to the Sharks and has the perfect amount of term remaining on his contract for us to evaluate whether he's a long term core player or a massive trade chip just as Celebrini and Smith's ELCs expire.
For a top 5 pick? Not a chance

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Sure, what are you trading for him? I thought you said the Vegas 1st was untouchable, our 2025 1st too. Obviously Celebrini and Smith too based on your post. So what are we moving that would get Ottawa’s attention?

I’d of course take Tkachuk on the team, obviously. But my point is that the cost that it would take to acquire him is way more than what he’s worth.

As @weastern bias said, trading for Brady Tkachuk is like purchasing $1 for $1.50. Not worth it.

Edit: Surprised no one called me out on my mistake. :laugh:

Last edited:

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Not for a top 5 pick. I'd offer 14+33+Eklund+Cagnoni or something equivalent to that value.
I would too, the problem is that Ottawa likely wouldn't

My point of contention isn't B Tkachuk or Hyman, it's giving up a top-flight draft pick for that kind of player

Reactions: landshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Sure, what are you trading for him? I thought you said the Vegas 1st was untouchable, our 2025 1st too. Obviously Celebrini and Smith too based on your post. So what are we moving that would get Ottawa’s attention?

I’d of course take Tkachuk on the team, obviously. But my point is that the cost that it would take to acquire him is way more than what he’s worth.

As @weastern bias said, trading for Brady Tkachuk is like purchasing $1.50 for $1. Not worth it.
Opening bid would be 14+33+Eklund+Cagnoni. Willing to include any of Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Lund, Havelid, obviously Bordeleau and Gushchin.

Untouchables for me would be Celebrini, Smith, any of our own future 1sts, the Vegas 1st and Mukhamadullin.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Opening bid would be 14+33+Eklund+Cagnoni. Willing to include any of Bystedt, Edstrom, Musty, Lund, Havelid, obviously Bordeleau and Gushchin.

Untouchables for me would be Celebrini, Smith, any of our own future 1sts, the Vegas 1st and Mukhamadullin.
Yeah, I have a fun feeling that offer gets Grier laughed out of the league. :laugh:

I would definitely pay that price for Brady, but there’s no chance he’d go for that cheap given that he has no trade protection to limit the market.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Yeah, I have a fun feeling that offer gets Grier laughed out of the league. :laugh:

I would definitely pay that price for Brady, but there’s no chance he’d go for that cheap given that he has no trade protection to limit the market.
I agree it’s not enough but at the same time, I would hate that trade and feels like it’s 2-3 years too early.

Reactions: weastern bias

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

If that's really the case then I'm fine withdrawing from the bidding.

I'm not sure it takes much more than that though, especially if Brady wants out. Unless the Sens really want someone like Jordan Kyrou or Filip Hronek.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I know you've said you think it won't be a top 5 pick in 2 years if we protect it, but that just isn't realistic, with a Tkachuk trade we'd be adding 2 rookie centers and one 30 goal power forward to the worst team iced since the salary cap, the defense is still so bad that we're not crawling out of the basement by adding 3 forwards, 2 of whom having played 0 NHL games and the other having played 0 playoff games
We're also adding another year of experience from Eklund, Shakir, another year of development from Zetterlund, the possibility of Logan being healthy enough to play and the concept of Grier actually improving the defense instead of purposely and blatantly creating the worst blue line he could (not to mention a surprisingly steady if not above average goaltending combo). I also envision Musty and Bysted (and Thompson) being on the team in 2026-27 so even if the protected first next year gets pushed I'd be absolutely shocked if we're still a bottom 8 team. With that said, I'd gladly give up 14 this year and 9 in 26-27 for Brady.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad