Confirmed with Link: Will Smith signs ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I’d like to have a more veteran presence in that line. I don’t wanna just toss out three kids and say “go save the franchise”

It’s weird to think that if Logan were healthy we’d have 4 centers that are top 6 or destined for it (Logan, smith, Mack, Granny).

Poor Nico
I don't look at it like they're being asked to save the franchise. If they only do so much work on the blue line then it's just about getting them experience at the NHL level. Their combination of skill sets seem like a pretty good fit for a scoring line and I'd like them to try it out as quickly as possible. But if we're looking for another top six player with experience there are guys like Max Domi available that might make sense for this group. May not require investing significant term into a guy like him. They got options, I feel. I just hope they don't limit themselves this offseason and be aggressive with roster changes.

PacificOceanPotion

Jun 19, 2009
Zetterlund, Granlund, Eklund, Sturm, Smith, Celebrini, Bystedt. That’s a team I think is really good in 27-28’. 24-25’ season will be a little rough. I think of Detroit a few seasons ago.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I’d like to have a more veteran presence in that line. I don’t wanna just toss out three kids and say “go save the franchise”

It’s weird to think that if Logan were healthy we’d have 4 centers that are top 6 or destined for it (Logan, smith, Mack, Granny).

Poor Nico
Sturm is best suited to be a 4C anyway, he's just a pretty darn good 4C

Okay, got to rosterbaiting on CapFriendly, the additions probably aren't realistic given how hard we'd need to overpay on dollars AND overpromise on term to get guys to come here, but I basically raided the Hurricanes and still managed to leave $6.476M in capspace while committing minimal term, and a team like this might actually approach being competitive on a nightly basis (probably sill a bit short):

Signed:
Brett Pesce $8M/4Y
Brady Skjei $7M/2Y
Teuvo Teravainen $7.5M/3Y
Teddy Blueger $2.5M/2Y

RFAs Re-signed:
Bordeleau $1M/1Y
Kunin $2.5M/2Y
Emberson $1.5M/2Y

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
Teravainen-Celebrini-Smith
Bordeleau-Sturm-Kunin
Kostin-Blueger-Smith
Graf

Skjei-Pesce
Ferraro-Emberson
Mukhamadullin-Rutta
Benning
Vlasic

Blackwood
Vanecek

Not a world beater, but a huge leap from last year

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
With Celebrini and Smith in the fold, I would give out as much as possible over three years to Stamkos. He would be a great mentor for those players.
I’m in complete agreement here. Getting the last year or two out of a Stamkos or Tavares to take 1C duties from Celebrini and/or Smith and mentor them would be huge.

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
With Smith and Celebrini playing next season, where do you expect we'll be drafting next year's draft assuming no one jumps in the lottery?

1st-3rd?
4th-6th?
7th-10th??
10th-15h??!

CHI still picks 2OA with Bedard, but infusion of Smith + Celebrini > Bedard

I don't see 2nd overall pick this year to sign with CHI.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
With Smith and Celebrini playing next season, where do you expect we'll be drafting next year's draft assuming no one jumps in the lottery?

1st-3rd?
4th-6th?
7th-10th??
10th-15h??!

1st to 3rd. We are currently abysmal and even a huge improvement still leaves us as a basement dweller.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

1st-3rd?
4th-6th?
7th-10th??
10th-15h??!

Just remember, the Sharks would've needed to win 15 (!!!) more games this year to escape the bottom five in the entire league. So while some teams might regress to below 75 points who were above it this year, I'm not seeing any clear tanking teams next year or teams where the bottom will fall out completely.

So barring some big-time moves by Grier, it's hard to envision a scenario in which this team escapes the bottom six or so (though of course a new head coach and system could be good for some boost in addition to the new personnel on the ice).

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
1st to 3rd. We are currently abysmal and even a huge improvement still leaves us as a basement dweller.
Also we should be the only team at the bottom out phase of the rebuild. Everybody else down there should be either tearing down soon like Washington or Pittsburgh or on the rise like Chicago or Anaheim.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ

1st-3rd?
4th-6th?
7th-10th??
10th-15h??!

It depends on how aggressive the team is in trade/free agency this summer, but Grier has been pretty open that, while winning the lottery accelerates our timeline, he's not looking to rush the rebuild

I suspect we'll still be in contention for last place next season, and we're likely to pick top-5, our defense is just absolutely atrocious, but we're now hoping to be building up rather than tearing down, so any deadline seller moves will be peripheral pieces rather than core pillars of the roster, and the coaching staff and front office should be stressing improvement

I just don't see how a team with Mario Ferraro as the #1D breaks 60 points in the standings, which is where we finished in 2023 with Karlsson, Hertl, Meier and Couture still playing meaningful hockey on the team

Reactions: coooldude and DG93

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

1st-3rd?
4th-6th?
7th-10th??
10th-15h??!

I don’t see the Sharks escaping the bottom-2. If Grier makes some savvy signings and Celebrini and Smith can have middle-six impact, we could eclipse Chicago. But I don’t see any better than that no matter who we add.

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
With Celebrini and Smith in the fold, I would give out as much as possible over three years to Stamkos. He would be a great mentor for those players.

I’m in complete agreement here. Getting the last year or two out of a Stamkos or Tavares to take 1C duties from Celebrini and/or Smith and mentor them would be huge.
I wanted GMMG to sign stamkos regardless of what smith and Celebrini decided but now that it looks like Smith is gonna be in San Jose, I honestly think GMMG should sign stamkos by hell or high water

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
If Grier has an long interview with Stamkos and gets a good view of what he will provide to the young prospects, I'm okay with signing Stamkos. I just want the team to be on the same page and that there is a real development.
Realistically it's going to be a hard free agency from the pov that we were the real the bottom team, but hopefully Sharks can get NHL players that want to be part of the solution and enjoy more playing time with having a chance to grow with /or help the young core that has couple of future stars in Celebrini and Smith.
The selling point should be that we have Celebrini, Smith and Eklund.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Zetterlund isn’t a kid anymore. He’ll be 25 at the start of next season.
He's not, but before last year he had a combined 75 games in 3 years playing on bottom lines. He was asked to do a lot more this year than even he thought I imagine.

If Grier has an long interview with Stamkos and gets a good view of what he will provide to the young prospects, I'm okay with signing Stamkos. I just want the team to be on the same page and that there is a real development.
Realistically it's going to be a hard free agency from the pov that we were the real the bottom team, but hopefully Sharks can get NHL players that want to be part of the solution and enjoy more playing time with having a chance to grow with /or help the young core that has couple of future stars in Celebrini and Smith.
The selling point should be that we have Celebrini, Smith and Eklund.
I love Stammer but I absolutely don't understand why he would even consider coming to SJ.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't look at it like they're being asked to save the franchise. If they only do so much work on the blue line then it's just about getting them experience at the NHL level. Their combination of skill sets seem like a pretty good fit for a scoring line and I'd like them to try it out as quickly as possible. But if we're looking for another top six player with experience there are guys like Max Domi available that might make sense for this group. May not require investing significant term into a guy like him. They got options, I feel. I just hope they don't limit themselves this offseason and be aggressive with roster changes.
I don't see LW as much of a need compared to RW, but if we were going there I'd go after Martinhook or William Carrier.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'd also dip the proverbial toe into the waters regarding Brady Tkachuk. I know there were rumblings they may move him even though Staois already shot it down, but still...

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I'd also dip the proverbial toe into the waters regarding Brady Tkachuk. I know there were rumblings they may move him even though Staois already shot it down, but still...
Tkachuk-Celebrini-Smith would be a nasty 1st line for the next decade. Definitely a player worth putting some premium assets like 14th overall and Eklund on the table for.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Tkachuk-Celebrini-Smith would be a nasty 1st line for the next decade. Definitely a player worth putting some premium assets like 14th overall and Eklund on the table for.
It's crazy to me he's the same age as Zetterlund.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I'd love to get Brady Tkachuk, but I don't see that happening unfortunately unless they will accept #14, Vegas 1st, and a few other not great assets, which I doubt happens

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad