Confirmed with Link: Will Smith signs ELC

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Everyone who has watched him has emphasized that Smith is very much a C and not a winger. I think I’d like him to play on a line with a vet center who can switch with him periodically (Couture, Granlund, etc) and see how he does.

I’m so excited about next year.

Woo hoo! It’s possible we see Smith, Celebrini, Muhk, and Bystedt all in a lineup together next season! Maybe even Musty too

we will officially be… the baby sharks doo doo doo

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Everyone who has watched him has emphasized that Smith is very much a C and not a winger. I think I’d like him to play on a line with a vet center who can switch with him periodically (Couture, Granlund, etc) and see how he does.

we will officially be… the baby sharks doo doo doo
That’s my thinking with Sturm. Let Smith play C in the offensive zone and let Sturm take the defensive duties.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Anders Lee 2LW and JGP 3C from Islanders? Joshua would be nice addition too. Defence is going to be the hard part, but I trust MG could make it more respectable this offseason.
Both of those two players would be perfect fits with the Sharks. It would upgrade their forwards without paying for term.

If they could also get #20 out of it even better.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
f***ing awesome to hear, Smith and Celebrini will immediately make this team so much more interesting to watch

I'll be honest, I have reservations about Smith as a center at the NHL level, his game reads "playmaking winger" to me, so I like the idea of those 2 playing as linemates, but we'll never know until he plays games, so the sooner the better as far as I'm concerned

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I know it’s not likely but I really hope Couture is healthy, because he’d be a really excellent linemate for Smith. I’m a firm believer that Smith is a long-term center, but he’ll definitely need someone to support center responsibilities in his first season or two.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know it’s not likely but I really hope Couture is healthy, because he’d be a really excellent linemate for Smith. I’m a firm believer that Smith is a long-term center, but he’ll definitely need someone to support center responsibilities in his first season or two.

I know, those two honestly feel like a match made in heaven. I want Couture to mentor him and I actually think with Couture’s shot and general hockey sense, he could put in a bunch of goals playing with Smith while, yeah, sheltering him.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Would you prefer Couture with Smith or Celebrini? Personally I’m leaning Celebrini but not firm on that.

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I know, those two honestly feel like a match made in heaven. I want Couture to mentor him and I actually think with Couture’s shot and general hockey sense, he could put in a bunch of goals playing with Smith while, yeah, sheltering him.
Totally agree. Couture being a shooter, solid defensively, and a lefty (so he can take the left side faceoffs) is exactly what Smith needs. You still probably shelter that line to some extent, but it could function for sure. Maybe put *gags* Kunin or Kostin on their wing for speed/physicality/forechecking.

Would you prefer Couture with Smith or Celebrini? Personally I’m leaning Celebrini but not firm on that.
Personally, Smith. I’d try and acquire two whole new wingers for Celebrini. One can be a cap dump from another team (if Anders Lee were willing to come here, I’d take him) and another a UFA signing like Dakota Joshua. Celebrini can be tossed into top-6 minutes and take care of business. He’s strong defensively already. Smith will need a more cautious touch to bring him along nicely.

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Totally agree. Couture being a shooter, solid defensively, and a lefty (so he can take the left side faceoffs) is exactly what Smith needs. You still probably shelter that line to some extent, but it could function for sure. Maybe put *gags* Kunin or Kostin on their wing for speed/physicality/forechecking.

Personally, Smith. I’d try and acquire two whole new wingers for Celebrini. One can be a cap dump from another team (if Anders Lee were willing to come here, I’d take him) and another a UFA signing like Dakota Joshua. Celebrini can be tossed into top-6 minutes and take care of business. He’s strong defensively already. Smith will need a more cautious touch to bring him along nicely.
Couture gets matched against the other team’s best forwards. I’m not sure that’s the best place for Smith. I would try him on Granlund’s wing. Something like:

Smith - Granlund - Zetterlund
Eklund - Cellibrini - Kostin
Sturm - Couture - Kunin

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Couture gets matched against the other team’s best forwards. I’m not sure that’s the best place for Smith. I would try him on Granlund’s wing. Something like:

Sturm - Couture - Kunin
Couture really shouldn't be matched that way anymore, his defense the last few years has been really declining and it's going to be even worse with him basically missing an entire season since.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is Couture ever going to play again? Grier didn’t seem too confident in his end of season presser.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Sturm - Couture - Kunin

I don't think Couture will get matched against other team's top lines anymore, think that'll be Granlund this year, and Celebrini next. I'd be thrilled if Couture can play consistently, but best case scenario feels like complimentary middle six winger. Even without the injuries dude is 35 average height and not fleet of foot. If we could get 60 gp 15-20, I'd be thrilled.

If you play Smith at center and Couture is injured, it feels like you need so many guys to shelter Celebrini and Smith. If Smith is on the wing it feels like you don't need quite as much. Man I hope Couture is healthy, makes everything easier. That said, even if he comes into camp fit and ready, you should almost certainly have a backup.

Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlund
X-Celebrini-Y
Couture/Koistin-Smith-Z
Bords/Koistin-Sturm-Kunin

Breaking up the top line:

Eklund-Granlund-Trade
UFA-Celebrini-Zetterlund
Couture-Smith-UFA
Koistin-Sturm-Smith

No matter what happens, it is going to be a much, much more exciting season. Is five acquisitions: three top 9 forwards (one cap dump, 1-2 UFAs, 1 trade) and two 3-5 d-men (a top 4 two-way guy, and a Ghostibere/Klingberg PPQB) too much to hope for? $38M in cap room, and a need to spend $24m this year to reach the floor, and $51M to reach the following years floor. This is without a Vlasic buyout in either year.

I'd also get to work on a long-term Zetterlund extension now. See if you can sign him for his entire prime a little undermarket in future years by overpaying a bit now.

Reactions: DG93

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Where would you put Eklund if we get 2 new wingers for Celebrini?

Xxx-Celebrini-xxx
Couture-Smith-Kostin/Kunin
Eklund-Sturm-Kunin/Kostin?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Where would you put Eklund if we get 2 new wingers for Celebrini?

Xxx-Celebrini-xxx
Couture-Smith-Kostin/Kunin
Eklund-Sturm-Kunin/Kostin?
Did the Lund line all get shot into the sun? I see no reason not to run them back, they were excellent together and can obviously soak up hard minutes. I’m writing a more comprehensive post in the roster thread right now, but if Couture is healthy then my lines would be Lund line, Celebrini+two new wingers, Couture-Smith-Kostin/Kunin.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Did the Lund line all get shot into the sun? I see no reason not to run them back, they were excellent together and can obviously soak up hard minutes. I’m writing a more comprehensive post in the roster thread right now, but if Couture is healthy then my lines would be Lund line, Celebrini+two new wingers, Couture-Smith-Kostin/Kunin.
My gosh I totally meant to put Granlund, Zetterlund. Thought I put them first. Brain’s a little funky today :laugh:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm not too worried about keeping the Lund line together. If it makes sense to have a center with Smith, Granlund is an excellent choice. An Eklund-Celebrini-Zetterlund top line may actually be competitive.

Reactions: Hodge

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't think it's reasonable to pencil Couture into speculative lineups, we have no real reason to expect him to be available with any regularity

I think a realistic looking top-9 is something like:

Kostin-Celebrini-Smith
Bordeleau-Sturm-Kunin

Still not ideal, but it's worlds better than what we saw last year, and it allows for Celebrini and Smith to aid one another adjusting to playing center in the NHL and gives the team options when attempting to shelter their minutes

With that look (before any possible adds) and our defense, we're still going to be terrible next year, but we should be much closer to respectable rather than the historic travesty we were in 2024

Reactions: Cas

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I'm not too worried about keeping the Lund line together. If it makes sense to have a center with Smith, Granlund is an excellent choice. An Eklund-Celebrini-Zetterlund top line may actually be competitive.
I’d like to have a more veteran presence in that line. I don’t wanna just toss out three kids and say “go save the franchise”

I don't think it's reasonable to pencil Couture into speculative lineups, we have no real reason to expect him to be available with any regularity

I think a realistic looking top-9 is something like:

Kostin-Celebrini-Smith
Bordeleau-Sturm-Kunin

Still not ideal, but it's worlds better than what we saw last year, and it allows for Celebrini and Smith to aid one another adjusting to playing center in the NHL and gives the team options when attempting to shelter their minutes

With that look (before any possible adds) and our defense, we're still going to be terrible next year, but we should be much closer to respectable rather than the historic travesty we were in 2024
It’s weird to think that if Logan were healthy we’d have 4 centers that are top 6 or destined for it (Logan, smith, Mack, Granny).

Poor Nico

Reactions: weastern bias

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad