Speculation: Will Oilers afford Puljujärvi?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
So, he will be an RFA next summer. Paid 1,175M this season. He has 10g + 13a 23p in 28gp with pretty good underlying numbers. His Corsi+Fenwick are really solid. He also has only 5ppp.

Oilers will have theese contracts for 2022-2023

McD 12,5M NMC
Drai 8,5M NMC
Hyman 5,5M NMC
RNH 5,125M NMC
Kassian 3.2M
Foegele 2,75M
Derek 1,75M
Shore .85M

Nurse 9,25M NMC
Keith 5,3M NMC
Barrie 4,5M
Klefbom 4,167M M-NTC
Ceci 3,25M
Koekkoek ,925M
Bouchard ,85M

Smith 2,2M
Skinner ,85M

Thats 71,67M in 17 contracts with Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, McLeod as RFA:s. Oilers need 6 players signed, including a goalie for roughly 10M. With Puljujärvis play his long-term contract should be above Hyman/RNH.

Reactions: Tedst

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Teams usually don’t move good players to keep worse ones. They’ll waive Ryan, buy-out Keith or trade someone before just not being able to fit Puljujarvi.. but even then it looks like the numbers might still fit.

No can do. Keiths buyout would save only 1M. They also cant ride Smith/Skinner in goal. They need a goalie. There is the option to trade Kassian, Barrie, Ceci or Derek, but most of theese need ++ to even be moved. I`d say the problem is pretty bad. 6 players needed and 10M space and preferrable a 1A/1B goalie. If you give Pulju 6M, you have 4M left for 5 players one beeing Yamamoto who will probably need 2,5-3M on a bridge.

Reactions: DickSmehlik

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Oilers should have no issues making cap room for Jesse. With the emergence of Bouchard this season, I would say Barrie is as good as gone in the off-season. He has a very reasonable contract so he shouldn’t be hard to move. Kassian is also most likely moved in the off-season as well, might have to attach an asset but should be doable. Couple of the contracts you mentioned can be buried in the minors. Yamo and Mcleod should have pretty low cap hits, both having very underwhelming seasons at the moment.

Did you also factor in Klefbom LTIR? Praying Keith retires at year’s end :nod:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
No can do. Keiths buyout would save only 1M. They also cant ride Smith/Skinner in goal. They need a goalie. There is the option to trade Kassian, Barrie, Ceci or Derek, but most of theese need ++ to even be moved. I`d say the problem is pretty bad. 6 players needed and 10M space and preferrable a 1A/1B goalie. If you give Pulju 6M, you have 4M left for 5 players one beeing Yamamoto who will probably need 2,5-3M on a bridge.

Not as bad as you state . Yamamoto can be traded . Bourgault played better then Yamamoto in preseason and should've made the team but was sent back to Jr . Holloway should be ready to replace another forward . Barrie can and should be moved and bring in someone like Mayfield to replace him and improve D

Then there Keith . He want a trade too be closer to his son . Offer him a job as a scout in BC so he retires not only does it save Edmonton that 5m+ cap hit it gains them 3 million extra if I remember right . I still hope Edmonton gets Kane 50% for Kassian+ Upgrade the forwards and leaves money to spend on a goalie and D .

Breaks down to

Barrie out for a defensive D = saves about 1M
Keith out for cap space gains about 8M =Pays Puljujarvi raise + Holloway and Bourgault
Koskinen gone + Nurse's raise covered
Kane = Kassian no cap so to speak
Klefbom may be able to return in a lessor role . No sure he missed 2 years but if he can't we can exceed the cap by 4.16 M

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
So, he will be an RFA next summer. Paid 1,175M this season. He has 10g + 13a 23p in 28gp with pretty good underlying numbers. His Corsi+Fenwick are really solid. He also has only 5ppp.

Oilers will have theese contracts for 2022-2023

McD 12,5M NMC
Drai 8,5M NMC
Hyman 5,5M NMC
RNH 5,125M NMC
Kassian 3.2M
Foegele 2,75M
Derek 1,75M
Shore .85M

Nurse 9,25M NMC
Keith 5,3M NMC
Barrie 4,5M
Klefbom 4,167M M-NTC
Ceci 3,25M
Koekkoek ,925M
Bouchard ,85M

Smith 2,2M
Skinner ,85M

Thats 71,67M in 17 contracts with Puljujärvi, Yamamoto, McLeod as RFA:s. Oilers need 6 players signed, including a goalie for roughly 10M. With Puljujärvis play his long-term contract should be above Hyman/RNH.

It would be shocking if Pulujarvi got a higher contract than Nuge or Hyman.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Not as bad as you state . Yamamoto can be traded . Bourgault played better then Yamamoto in preseason and should've made the team but was sent back to Jr . Holloway should be ready to replace another forward . Barrie can and should be moved and bring in someone like Mayfield to replace him and improve D

Then there Keith . He want a trade too be closer to his son . Offer him a job as a scout in BC so he retires not only does it save Edmonton that 5m+ cap hit it gains them 3 million extra if I remember right . I still hope Edmonton gets Kane 50% for Kassian+ Upgrade the forwards and leaves money to spend on a goalie and D .

Breaks down to

Barrie out for a defensive D = saves about 1M
Keith out for cap space gains about 8M =Pays Puljujarvi raise + Holloway and Bourgault
Koskinen gone + Nurse's raise covered
Kane = Kassian no cap so to speak
Klefbom may be able to return in a lessor role . No sure he missed 2 years but if he can't we can exceed the cap by 4.16 M

I wouldnt trade Yamamoto. He has still potential. I`d bridge him for 2yrs at 2,5M.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
It would be shocking if Pulujarvi got a higher contract than Nuge or Hyman.

It wouldnt schock me. If they offer a longterm 7-8yrs it has to be above 6M. They would probably be better off bridging him for 2yrs at 4-4,5M and see if hes progressing. If he is it will then be more expensive to lock him up, but then foegele, Kassian and Barrie are out.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Id let Yamamoto walk or flip him for picks if he wants 2.5. Hes about to lose his roster spot to one of Holloway/Bourgault/Petrov

Well, he has still just turned 23. He was very promising 2yrs back, but now has regressed a lot. I could still see him turn around.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I don't see Puljujarvi getting more than RNH or Hyman.. he had a good game sure but those PP goals were mainly due to Hyman being out.. he did miss a lot of chances at ES.

5x5 would still be hard to fit in for Oilers without getting creative.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I don't see Puljujarvi getting more than RNH or Hyman.. he had a good game sure but those PP goals were mainly due to Hyman being out.. he did miss a lot of chances at ES.

5x5 would still be hard to fit in for Oilers without getting creative.

Have you checked and compared Hymans and Puljujärvis usage, ice-time and statistics?

Hyman ice-time 492min TOI 68,4min PP 379CF 355CA 51,6CF% 1,9CF% rel

GPGAP+/-PIMPPGPPPSHGSHPGWGOTGSS%
2021-20222611819-5163512107215.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Puljujärvi 480min TOI 53,5min PP 484CF 346CA 58,3CF% 11,6CF% rel

2021-2022281013237103500107513.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Then go check Fenwick etc. and come tell me Hyman is the better player. Puljujärvi has a much better impact on-ice even looking at advanced stats.
I find it preetty odd that an Oiler fan actually think Hyman is the far better player and Puljujärvi should be the lesser option to use when he is producing better and actually bumps McDrai more than Hyman? You like playing worse?

Crazy8oooo

Puck Off!
Sep 12, 2010
Orange County
I like him and wanted the Ducks to go after him in hope's of him being a buy low candidate and am happy to see that he's putting it together. But, a player like Nuge has several years of a proven track record, so why would Puljujarvi get more than him after just one season of good stats? I can see it happening with how contracts are thrown out, I just don't really get it.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I like him and wanted the Ducks to go after him in hope's of him being a buy low candidate and am happy to see that he's putting it together. But, a player like Nuge has several years of a proven track record, so why would Puljujarvi get more than him after just one season of good stats? I can see it happening with how contracts are thrown out, I just don't really get it.

More about how Hyman got more than RNH, while beeing worse than Pulju. Also, I bet agents look at underlying stats, ice-time, usage etc. Puljujärvi do more with less time than both of them, so I bet his agent will point that out? RNH got 6M longterm after having 56p in 2014. Puljujärvi is on pace for better. Do you suggest his agent will settle for less than RNH got 7yrs ago?
Also, most teams nowadays like to pay for their youngsters. Not like the old day when 33yr olds got the big contracts. I bet that if Oilers low-ball him there is other takers.

Reactions: Voight and RattsSSV

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Have you checked and compared Hymans and Puljujärvis usage, ice-time and statistics?

Hyman ice-time 492min TOI 68,4min PP 379CF 355CA 51,6CF% 1,9CF% rel

2021-20222611819-5163512107215.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Puljujärvi 480min TOI 53,5min PP 484CF 346CA 58,3CF% 11,6CF% rel

2021-2022281013237103500107513.3
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Then go check Fenwick etc. and come tell me Hyman is the better player. Puljujärvi has a much better impact on-ice even looking at advanced stats.
I find it preetty odd that an Oiler fan actually think Hyman is the far better player and Puljujärvi should be the lesser option to use when he is producing better and actually bumps McDrai more than Hyman? You like playing worse?
Hyman and Nuge got UFA money where Puljujarvi still has RFA yrs to burn. He was on top unit PP because Hyman is out. At ES he is still inconsistent where he plays like someone who could use some press box time.
5x5 would be more than fair for him if he hadn't taken a discount already.. his camp would likely want to get more since they gave Holland a discount with his current contract.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
More about how Hyman got more than RNH, while beeing worse than Pulju. Also, I bet agents look at underlying stats, ice-time, usage etc. Puljujärvi do more with less time than both of them, so I bet his agent will point that out? RNH got 6M longterm after having 56p in 2014. Puljujärvi is on pace for better. Do you suggest his agent will settle for less than RNH got 7yrs ago?
Also, most teams nowadays like to pay for their youngsters. Not like the old day when 33yr olds got the big contracts. I bet that if Oilers low-ball him there is other takers.
RNH got his 6M x6 deal because he was projected to be a top line franchise C. Puljujarvi isn't in the same boat.

Eberle is a better comparable and he also got 6x6 so you do have a point.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Any other team have their whole top 6 locked in long term like the oilers?

Not sure if its a good or bad thing, just interesting

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
Hyman and Nuge got UFA money where Puljujarvi still has RFA yrs to burn. He was on top unit PP because Hyman is out. At ES he is still inconsistent where he plays like someone who could use some press box time.
5x5 would be more than fair for him if he hadn't taken a discount already.. his camp would likely want to get more since they gave Holland a discount with his current contract.

RNH got RFA-money in 2014 signing 6M/. How on earth didnt you know that? And no - I wouldnt give a 5yr contract. Either a 2yr bridge or an 8yr deal. 5yr contracts go straight to UFA and shouldnt be used if you can avoid them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad