Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Stamkos close to signing as per Friedman on the main page. Well, TB offered him 8.5, so then Stammers agent will come back with a higher figure, and they will eventually meet in the middle somewhere.

I'd say Stamkos resigning with TB is probably around 95% done. Just a guess though.

Going to be a lot of upset people in these boards pretty soon. I'd say within a week or so. TB doesn't want this to drag on past the TDL for sure and into the playoffs. So I think their window to get him signed is within the week.
Friedman reported the 8.5 x 8 offer. He never said Stamkos was close to signing.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
In baseball/football/basketball young guys to UFA every year.

What is it about the NHL that players are frightened to test the market?
I just don't get it.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Tampa's problem right now is they have a ton of RFA's coming up over the next few years who will likely demand big raises, coupled with a handful of expensive veteran contracts in the way.

They could very well let Stamkos go, and divide up his current $7.5 million cap hit to alleviate those pressures and keep most of the band together, but I guess their big risk is whether a guy like Tyler Johnson is worth the long term investment they'd likely be demanding.

Johnson is going to bounce back, he had a great rookie season and a terrific sophomore season and this is the first time he's ever really faced real struggles in the league, and it's in an injury plagued season.

As of now, they have a rising star in Nikita Kucherov who they're going to need to pay. Signing big on Stamkos does not leave much room at all for that. And then you got big Viktor Hedman who they absolutely cannot let go, make no mistake, they need him a lot more than Stamkos. Those Carle and Callahan contracts are absolutely wrecking Tampa.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Hockey players are more loyal to teams and team mates ?

From a general observation, baseball has no salary cap and in basketball you have a greater chance of a championship if you play for select teams. Hockey players used to move around more without a salary cap, but can't do that anymore. And if you want to win a cup, who do you sign with that is heads and shoulders above other teams? And could they even afford you?

And yes to a certain extent, I think there is a culture around hockey that relates disloyalty with not sticking with your original team. And that thinking needs to go, because the right to UFA at age 25-27 is the biggest concession the players got when they gave into the salary cap.

Leafsbeast*

If it is true that talks are picking up, then maybe Stamkos and the Lightning realized they need each other more than they originally thought.

With Stamkos' declining production, maybe he takes an offer from Tampa that rewards his past service- with no guarantee other teams make such an offer. And with Drouin forcing his way out, maybe Tampa values Stamkos more than they did a week ago.

makes sense

Leafsbeast*

Johnson is going to bounce back, he had a great rookie season and a terrific sophomore season and this is the first time he's ever really faced real struggles in the league, and it's in an injury plagued season.

As of now, they have a rising star in Nikita Kucherov who they're going to need to pay. Signing big on Stamkos does not leave much room at all for that. And then you got big Viktor Hedman who they absolutely cannot let go, make no mistake, they need him a lot more than Stamkos. Those Carle and Callahan contracts are absolutely wrecking Tampa.

Here are the facts as I see them.

First, Stamkos has said all along that he wishes to remain in Tampa.

Second, regardless if you want to believe it or not, his parents just bought a house....outside Tampa. Most snowbirds go down there, (me included) and go to the West Palm Beach or Daytona area. Many go to Miami. Tampa is a poor mans Miami. Again, most snowbirds go to the east coast. The CSA (Canadian Snowbirds association) is based out of Miami.

Thirdly, Tampa has said all along they want Stamkos back.

Fourthly, Tampa is a winning franchise and genuine cup contenders.

And finally, they just offered him 8.5 for 8. Thats a long term contract.

So as negotiations go, Stamkos's agent will come back at 10.5 and they will meet in the middle at 9.5. They are only a million out. Book it.

I hate to say it guys, but with the evidence I put forth, this looks done. :(

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Here are the facts as I see them.

First, Stamkos has said all along that he wishes to remain in Tampa.

Second, regardless if you want to believe it or not, his parents just bought a house....outside Tampa. Most snowbirds go down there, (me included) and go to the West Palm Beach or Daytona area. Many go to Miami. Tampa is a poor mans Miami. Again, most snowbirds go to the east coast. The CSA (Canadian Snowbirds association) is based out of Miami.

Thirdly, Tampa has said all along they want Stamkos back.

Fourthly, Tampa is a winning franchise and genuine cup contenders.

And finally, they just offered him 8.5 for 8. Thats a long term contract.

So as negotiations go, Stamkos's agent will come back at 10.5 and they will meet in the middle at 9.5. They are only a million out. Book it.

I hate to say it guys, but with the evidence I put forth, this looks done. :(

To me nothing have changed. As I doubt anyone would think TB won't offer Stamkos a contract. 8-8.5 is a good starting point, will Stamkos takes 9.5 is the question? As he knows he can get more in the open market. It is how much more?

The other is Cooper. It might be better now but it was pretty crap a month or two ago.

Inigo Montoya

Aug 29, 2008
Newmarket, ON
With active negotiations now, I'd say the odds have skyrocketed that he resigns in Tampa.

Don Meehan isn't an idiot. He knows what Stamkos is going to get on the open market. He hits free agency on July 1st, you are looking at offers at 10M annually. Meehan knows what he is worth. Stamkos knows what he is worth. 8.5M per season or even 9.0M per isn't getting it done in my eyes.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Don Meehan isn't an idiot. He knows what Stamkos is going to get on the open market. He hits free agency on July 1st, you are looking at offers at 10M annually. Meehan knows what he is worth. Stamkos knows what he is worth. 8.5M per season or even 9.0M per isn't getting it done in my eyes.

8.5 to 9 over 8 years is $72M. That's the starting point. If Tampa comes up to $10M, that's $80M.

$10M over 7 years anywhere else is $70M

If Tampa comes up or close to Kopitar money, you are right. Meehan isn't an idiot. Tampa would retain the player.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Will TB offer 10?

I doubt it.

Just crazy opinion, but I feel 9ish is the max...... Even at 9ish, the Leafs should look at targeting Tampa in the future for players/or maybe cap dumps... Assuming they resign Stammer.

Give Stammer 10mil, look at their cap and when UFA/RfA's are available.... they lose at least 2 players, and good players, to re-sign Stammer.

Even without Stamkos, it will be a struggle for them to keep this current team.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Hockey players are more loyal to teams and team mates ?

Yeah, it's sort of the "culture" of the league that reinforces notions of team liyalty - for better or for worse for the individual players.

As soon as they leave their teams the media often jumps in them forchasing the money". I remember some nasty stuff being written then about Suter and Paraise when they left their teams for the Wild.

Last edited:

mulefarm

Oct 9, 2011
With Florida being one of the most tax friendly states, he may net more at 8.5 than he will taking 10 someplace else. Plus, I have heard that he likes the Tampa area .

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

So why does the crystal ball say Johnson will bounce back and yet Stamkos will just decline?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Why do you always take this tone like you know exactly what will happen with these players?

Johnson and Stamkos are the exact same age, and you always talk about how Stamkos is on the decline, another catastrophic injury away from the end of his career, etc. Johnson has zero track record outside of the past two and a half years as an NHLer, with this year being a complete wash because of injuries. Who is to say his problems won't be chronic and the Lightning bet wrong locking him up?

Yes, the Lightning do have to re-sign a lot of people in a very short amount of time. But that only means they are going to be forced into some tough decisions and may end up making mistakes as a result. Obvious is obvious.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
With Florida being one of the most tax friendly states, he may net more at 8.5 than he will taking 10 someplace else. Plus, I have heard that he likes the Tampa area .

The US has a higher tax rate federally.
So when you work out the tax break in Florida compared to Ontario, it is a 6.5% difference.

I guess you would have to factor in things like cost of goods...... which then changes it close to 20%

But in terms or straight income, 10Mil Florida = 10.650 Ontario bucks......... and that doesn't take into account 13% HST as well.....

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Really depends on how much TB is going to pay.
The thing is Stamkos test UFA and resign with TB.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
With the Canadian dollar dropping and all of these guys getting paid in US dollars I believe Canadian teams will become more appealing.

$10 million playing for the Leafs is $14.2 million Canadian. If a Canadian player lives in Canada in the off season and can move home almost year round that extra $4.2 million looks better and better. The tax trade off won't make up $4.2 million. They are taxed per game where they play so only a little more than half of his games in Florida are at a lower tax rate.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Here's another question for you all. Let's say the Leafs earmark $9.5-10 million on Stamkos but he re-signs in Tampa. Do you take another swing at UFA Victor Hedman for the same dollars the following year?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Here's another question for you all. Let's say the Leafs earmark $9.5-10 million on Stamkos but he re-signs in Tampa. Do you take another swing at UFA Victor Hedman for the same dollars the following year?

I would hope they would have interest in Hedman regardless of Stamkos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad