Will Leafs Pursue Stamkos? Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
He'll be unobtainable at that point though. If you can fit him in under the cap and he's completely willing to follow through a rebuild with the complete understanding of everything that it entails, why wait?

My only two concerns are his impact on draft position over the next three seasons(which I think are crucial) and his cap hit.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Newport sports is on record saying they are looking at 11-12M.

I can't see that not have a NTC stapled to it either.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Newport sports is on record saying they are looking at 11-12M.

I can't see that not have a NTC stapled to it either.

Won't get that much. He may get 10 and at that we'd be overpaying but since he wouldn't cost us any assets it would be worth doing.

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
My only two concerns are his impact on draft position over the next three seasons(which I think are crucial) and his cap hit.

It is very, very unlikely that the Leafs intention is to bottom out next season. All indications point to the Leafs turning the roster over to the future next season. A large portion of the core should be playing on the roster next season and where they finish will be an indicator of how close to a playoff team they are.

Regardless, if we are going to be successful going forward then our picks 10-20, 20-30 and 30+ are going to need to become quality players.

We DO NOT need to be a bottom 10 team again next season or at least alter the roster to ensure that. Bringing in Stamkos is a move for today and tomorrow. The only negative that could come with Stamkos is his potential cap hit and his positive play on the Leafs will definitely not be one of them.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Why wouldn't you think he would get that?

We talk of hometown discount.

If you are Newport, why not a hometown premium?

The Leafs need him more than he needs us. They don't have a star. Their team is crap. It's their big marketing season. And signing here, unless there is a massive influx of talented 25 year olds via trade, means that there won't likely be a Cup chance until his 7 year deal is nearly over.

There will clearly be more than 1 team interested if he gets to UFA status.

What leverage do the Leafs have other than their history?

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015

The Leafs need him more than he needs us. They don't have a star. Their team is crap. It's their big marketing season. And signing here, unless there is a massive influx of talented 25 year olds via trade, means that there won't likely be a Cup chance until his 7 year deal is nearly over.

I don't subscribe to the notion that the Leafs will get any kind of break here. Best case they match his top offer and he elects to head home for the non-monetary benefits. The Leafs can pay Stammer 12 million next season if they want (Newports publicly disclosed demand), as long as they structure it so his caphit is closer to 10. I'd be open to that.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

To be honest, I don't think that we should be looking to finish closer to the bottom two and three seasons from now. Whether or not that happens is a different story but this franchise has inadvertently been in a rebuild years before it officially began. We have 4 top ten picks from the last 7 years. We should be happy to acquire a top five this year and next. We have to then start to change the culture from a losing one to a winning one for the first time in nearly 15 years. I'm not talking about planning parades, just icing competitive, talented teams

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto

His negotiating team has to be ready to get less than 100% of what they are asking.
If he leaves the bolts, he won't pick another team over the Leafs for 1 or 2 million more per season. Just my opinion.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Stamkos is the calibre of player you could spend multiple years tanking for, and not get. Edmonton for example tanked for years, and it wasnt until this past year with McDavid that they got a Stamkos calibre prospect. Signing Stamkos guarantees us a Stamkos calibre player. Tanking for another season, or another two full seasons, or whatever, could just end up with us walking away with ~Schenn/Kadri.

Also, signing Stamkos is adding a free elite asset up front, where we are already deep. It would allow us to for example trade JVR for a young top 4 RHD. What would that do? It would upgrade us both up front (because Stamkos>JVR) and on the blueline (because a JVR calibre trade acquired dman would obviously be a solid addition).

Then on top of that, the state of the farm right now is fantastic. We're CURRENTLY considered a top 3-5 farm system, and we're about to add another top ~3-5 pick and likely ~14-15 picks overall.

As long as the contract is decent value, I think you add Stamkos. It upgrades our forward group, gives you the flexibility to make a trade to upgrade your blueline, and with a farm system bursting with talent, including very legitimate bluechip prospects like Marner, Nylander, and our 2016 1st, you could reasonably project the team growing into a very good team with the ability to sustain long-term success within a relatively short period of time.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
It becomes his team
So any idea of letting rielly. Nylander. Marner etc establish themselves now do so under stamkos

Babcock knows him well so if he's the player he thinks can be that guy then they do it

one77

Dec 22, 2013
I've said it before, but I actually have pretty good sources saying there's interest from both sides. I personally don't think he will get more than 10M, and although that's still an overpayment, it's worth it because Leafs don't give up any assets.

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Winnik - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Timashov/Johnson/Bracco

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Nielsen
-Valiev/Loov/Harrington/Percy

Find Rielly a partner and we're set. Go after Larsson or somebody young like that, using Kadri+ as bait. And throw Bozak on that 3rd line.

Jan 3, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Even if he gets the max contract for say 11m, who cares? That's what 1.5m more than ideal? You can work the cap where 1.5m won't completely strap you. Give him the max contract. We should not be outbid. Period. He's an elite player. They don't grow on trees. It's pointless worrying about 1m or so that basically amounts to a Froese level player.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Won't get that much. He may get 10 and at that we'd be overpaying but since he wouldn't cost us any assets it would be worth doing.

If he wants 10 from the Bolts, the Leafs will need to offer more to offset the larger tax rate in Ontario compared to Florida.

I've come around to wanting Stamkos (mildly at least), but I don't think he signs with a bottom feeder team like the Leafs for a dime under 11 million.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think Newport Sports is going to have their finger prints all over a Stamkos to Toronto move. The last big, big splash the Leafs had that changed their franchise was Curtis Joseph, who was a Don Meehan guy.

Newport clients include Phaneuf, Kessel, Bozak, and it seems like they helped facilitate the Leafs clearing those contracts to make cap space.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
how many teams can realistically fit stamkos and a 12 mil cap hit on their roster?

several teams will want stamkos but i dont think many could afford the cap space. i think despite being a coveted asset his price tag deters a lot of teams.

imo leafs are probably the most set up cap wise to go all in on him. having said that i cant see lou dropping 12 mil on him.

i think he signs for 7 x $ 10.75 million in toronto

Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I've said it before, but I actually have pretty good sources saying there's interest from both sides. I personally don't think he will get more than 10M, and although that's still an overpayment, it's worth it because Leafs don't give up any assets.

JVR - Stamkos - Marner
Laine - Nylander - Kapanen
Komarov - Kadri - Brown
Winnik - Gauthier - Leipsic
-Timashov/Johnson/Bracco

Rielly - X
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Nielsen
-Valiev/Loov/Harrington/Percy

Find Rielly a partner and we're set. Go after Larsson or somebody young like that, using Kadri+ as bait. And throw Bozak on that 3rd line.

I get that you might actually have someone close to the Stamkos situation but to everyone else (and HF) saying you have a good source doesn't really mean anything unless you can back it up.

(FYI, I am curious who this source is lol).

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
You are allowed to extend someone during the final year of their contract right?

Whats stopping us from signing Stamkos to a 1 year deal and then extending him for 8 more the following day?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
If he wants 10 from the Bolts, the Leafs will need to offer more to offset the larger tax rate in Ontario compared to Florida.

I've come around to wanting Stamkos (mildly at least), but I don't think he signs with a bottom feeder team like the Leafs for a dime under 11 million.

Don't forget he would be a god here and get all the ad revenue. And be close to home.

WillNytheSwedishGuy

Sep 17, 2015
I get that you might actually have someone close to the Stamkos situation but to everyone else (and HF) saying you have a good source doesn't really mean anything unless you can back it up.

(FYI, I am curious who this source is lol).

Stammer's former babysitter and the poster's second cousin share the same laundromat.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You are allowed to extend someone during the final year of their contract right?

Whats stopping us from signing Stamkos to a 1 year deal and then extending him for 8 more the following day?

Pretty sure the player had to be with you before the deadline the previous season. If signed in the offseason, I think the rule is Jan. 1st - something like that. Also, why would the Leafs do that? It's better to have Stamkos for 7 seasons than 9 seasons, he'll be in his mid-30's by the time his contract is done, I doubt he produces like a 10M+ player then.

Unless he signs one year at max, and takes a discount the remaining 8, at which point I'm sure the league will be yelling cap circumvention.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
Pretty sure the player had to be with you before the deadline the previous season. If signed in the offseason, I think the rule is Jan. 1st - something like that. Also, why would the Leafs do that? It's better to have Stamkos for 7 seasons than 8 seasons, he'll be in his mid-30's by the time his contract is done, I doubt he produces like a 10M+ player then.

Unless he signs one year at max, and takes a discount the remaining 7, at which point I'm sure the league will be yelling cap circumvention.

Thats another thing. I think the leafs should give him a 1 year max.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Given that Stamkos is tied for 17th overall in points for centers, is on a better team with better options, his production rate is not what it was, is not a talented 200 ft player, I see no reason to pay him huge money to come to Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad