Will Kris Letang make the HOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Will Letang make the HOF?

• Yes

Votes: 89 68.5%
  • No

Votes: 41 31.5%

• Total voters

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
And he was like the 4th or 5th D on that first cup win.

Overall, his career isn't HHOF worthy.

But no doubt he will get in.
Compared to what though? Not HHOF worthy compared to the other "D" that are in the HHOF? If that is the statement then it simply isn't accurate.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
And he was like the 4th or 5th D on that first cup win.

Overall, his career isn't HHOF worthy.

But no doubt he will get in.

The bar just isn't all that high. Perhaps it should be higher, but it's not. And it would be unfair to raise the bar at this point. So he's in IMO.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
Letang was elite for like a decade, won a Cup as the teams number one dman by far and has been criminally underrated defensively - especially in his younger/prime years. He should have won the Norris in 2013.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
A sometimes great player who proably belongs in the Hall of Very Good- flip a coin. But he'll get in.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
This. He’s close and shouldn’t get in, but close and shouldn’t get in gets you in with the current era because the HHOF has lowered it’s standards.

That doesn't make sense considering that Letangs career is better than players inducted into the HHOF before the current era. So how is lowered standards relevant?

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
That doesn't make sense considering that Letangs career is better than players inducted into the HHOF before the current era. So how is lowered standards relevant?

See, this is my point.

This should never be the standard to get in. Either you had a HOF worthy career or you didn’t. It shouldn’t be about comparing a player to the worst player in the HOF.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
So overrated. You could switch him with a ton of other offensive defensemen from his era on that team and get similar if not better results just due to them not missing 40 games a year.

• Haha
Reactions: sanscosm and Voight

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
So overrated. You could switch him with a ton of other offensive defensemen from his era on that team and get similar if not better results just due to them not missing 40 games a year.
List that ton of defensemen and then we'll see how wrong you are.

Reactions: sanscosm

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
See, this is my point.

This should never be the standard to get in. Either you had a HOF worthy career or you didn’t. It shouldn’t be about comparing a player to the worst player in the HOF.
What are the standards of a HOF worthy career? And how are those standards different from comparing players to existing members of the HOF?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What are the standards of a HOF worthy career? And how are those standards different from comparing players to existing members of the HOF?
I don't care how they compare to existing members. Just because someone got in that shouldn't have doesn't mean current players should get in.

As for the standards, I would say major individual hardware is pretty important, and there are very few situations where a player can get in without it. I don't think an offensive defenseman that has never hit 70 points rises to that level. Great career. If he somehow managed to eke out a Norris one of his best seasons, I'd probably say he gets in, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. And I'd say he's close but probably falls a little short.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't care how they compare to existing members. Just because someone got in that shouldn't have doesn't mean current players should get in.

As for the standards, I would say major individual hardware is pretty important, and there are very few situations where a player can get in without it. I don't think an offensive defenseman that has never hit 70 points rises to that level. Great career. If he somehow managed to eke out a Norris one of his best seasons, I'd probably say he gets in, but the line has to be drawn somewhere. And I'd say he's close but probably falls a little short.
I think the issue is that it's not a matter of someone and more a matter of dozens. And if it is dozens, then clearly the standards you are thinking of are not the standards of the HHOF.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think the issue is that it's not a matter of someone and more a matter of dozens. And if it is dozens, then clearly the standards you are thinking of are not the standards of the HHOF.
Who are the dozens? I feel like it's probably like 4-5 players that without a doubt shouldn't have gotten in.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Who are the dozens? I feel like it's probably like 4-5 players that without a doubt shouldn't have gotten in.
If the standard is a major personal award, then it's dozens. And as soon as you name 4 or 5 then 4 or 5 more are out the door via association.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
It's an interesting question. I think we need to acknowledge that there have been players who have been inducted who are outright mistakes. If we accept the bar as Leo Boivin, Kevin Lowe, Edgar Laprade, Mike Vernon, Clark Gillies, Dick Duff, Dave Andreychuk, Gerry Cheevers etc - there are easily 50 players (maybe closer to 100) who should be immediately inducted using them as precedent. That feels wrong.

I like to ask myself if a player is better than the bottom 10% of the Hall. If the answer is clearly yes, they should be inducted. For me, this includes players like JC Tremblay, Carl Brewer, Jeremy Roenick, Theo Fleury, Henrik Zetterberg, Patrik Elias, John LeClair, Curtis Joseph, etc.

There are a lot of players where the answer is no, or maybe. This includes players like Claude Giroux, Steve Larmer, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, Kris Letang, Adam Foote, etc. I wouldn't vote to induct them. Yes, you can find 5-10 inductees who they're (arguably) better than. But there should be some recognition that mistakes have been made in the past, so let's not make it worse by inducting 50 defensemen who are more deserving than Leo Boivin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad