Player Discussion Will Cuylle

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Cuylle doesn’t seem to have the same playmaking/puck handling tools that Chytil and Kakko have on the third line (he made several pass attempts through the high slot against the Habs last night which were easily read and picked off) but his skating is a huge plus and he has a good stick, both of which (along with his size) keep him where the puck is in traffic. His offensive positioning has improved to the point where he could realistically serve as a mix between Kreider and Callahan with a lower offensive ceiling.

Even if he tops-out as a third line 15-goal energy guy, that’s a better return on investment for the Rangers than anyone could have hoped for four years ago. He was certainly an asset to the forward corps throughout the playoffs.

Last edited:

bhamill

Sponsor
Apr 16, 2012
15 goal 3rd line energy guy who is a load on the forecheck and will punch your lights out is a great guy to have
I think you are erring on the side of caution.
13 goals as a rookie. Playing with guys who were not generating offense… With the right linemates (like 72-24 are playing right now) I see him as a perennial 20-25 goal scorer, 45-50 point guy who leads he team in hits.
Right now I see his line as our second line. I have no problem saying he’s already a middle sixer, rather than pure 3rd liner.
And lost in all this is he’s still just 22… he’s got more runway. His ceiling may be higher than we’ve been giving him credit for… power wingers take more time…

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
I think you are erring on the side of caution.
13 goals as a rookie. Playing with guys who were not generating offense… With the right linemates (like 72-24 are playing right now) I see him as a perennial 20-25 goal scorer, 45-50 point guy who leads he team in hits.
Right now I see his line as our second line. I have no problem saying he’s already a middle sixer, rather than pure 3rd liner.
And lost in all this is he’s still just 22… he’s got more runway. His ceiling may be higher than we’ve been giving him credit for… power wingers take more time…
you might be right. i just rather we lock him up to a 6 year deal as a 15 goal energy guy than as a 45-50 point middle 6 power winger.

Reactions: bhamill

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
He has some limitations offensively but seems to do everything else well. Big, strong, can skate, forechecks well, cycles, goes to the net. If he can add PK'ing to his resume, he will evolve into one of those glue guys that every team needs. He has salvaged the Andersson mess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad