Player Discussion Brady Tkachuk (LW) - Part XI

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Good on Marchand to make that comment.
Lot of players would have turned that back on the coach.

It is a generational thing. Apparently, the younger generation doesn't respond as well to negative reinforcement or yelling. It's not as effective. I can't imagine getting upset at a coach for making you accountable for your mistakes. I think that's why a story like that blows up, because that approach isn't agreeable or relatable to younger people, or parents (who didn't play sports themselves) of younger athletes.

I am not even that old, and there was always a time and place in sports for a coach to yell or rip a player a new one. Not everybody responds to it, but in general it wasn't seen as a bad thing or a coach being out of touch, so long as they had balance to how they approached coaching.

Ultimately, the coaches job is to effectively get the best performances out of their group. So I'm not advocating that younger athletes need to go against their cultural norms and learn to be yelled at or how to be called out by the coach. It's the coaches job to figure out what works. I am pointing out that it shouldn't be surprising that a player pushing 40 can properly contextualize that. I'm sure it's not the first time a coach has ripped a player from that generation a new one, but I get why it shocks some people who haven't had that experience with competitive sports.

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
It's absolutely ridiculous that this nothing-burger became a story. I finally watched the clip and could not believe it. This sort of thing used to happen every game. It's not a f***ing corporate job.
Has this actually blown up anywhere though? Or is this one of those things where like 2 people on Twitter said something and then 5 news articles come out talking about how soft everyone is when there was nothing except a couple village idiots squawking to begin with?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Wow, its refreshing to see Marchand speak about the game and not tune out because he's such a rat. He absolutely nailed it, when it comes to player accountability. Just hope he shows it on ice when it comes to answering for all the bs he does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad