Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetkarma*

Really starting to like the idea of a Kane-Burmi-Frolik line. In fact, a line-up of:

Buff-Scheifele-Wheels
Ladd-Little-?
Kane-Burmi-Frolik
O'Dell/Tanger-Slater/Lowry-Peluso/Lipon

Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Bogo
Stuart-Postma/Clitsome/Ellerby

Hutchinson
Pavelec

Perhaps Chevy just needs to find a winger that could play with Kane & Burmi or Ladd & Little this off-season?

Edit: that assumes Burmi signs, and at a reasonable cap hit that allows another $3 mill/yr winger within TNSE internal budget.

Don't want Burmistrov centering Kane at all , not the best utilization of players imo .

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yes, he definitely wont be supplanting Little any time soon. He naturally would have to outplay Frolik for it though.

I don't know. Little has shown that he is capable of playing at the RW position, and adding a puck possession beast like Burmi onto that line would be awesome. A very solid to way line, similar to Vancouver's Kesler line in 11. Put Kane, Scheifele and Wheels on the top line and figure out some **** for the third we should be in great shape.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Really starting to like the idea of a Kane-Burmi-Frolik line. In fact, a line-up of:

Buff-Scheifele-Wheels
Ladd-Little-?
Kane-Burmi-Frolik
O'Dell/Tanger-Slater/Lowry-Peluso/Lipon

Enstrom-Trouba
Morrissey-Bogo
Stuart-Postma/Clitsome/Ellerby

Hutchinson
Pavelec

Perhaps Chevy just needs to find a winger that could play with Kane & Burmi or Ladd & Little this off-season?

Edit: that assumes Burmi signs, and at a reasonable cap hit that allows another $3 mill/yr winger within TNSE internal budget.

Buff should be NOWHERE near the top line. He's a decent second line winger at absolute best, but if you ask me he is by far better utilized at D. I don't know why Maurice insists on having him play Forward when he clearly is not as good at it as he is at being a defensemen.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Buff should be NOWHERE near the top line. He's a decent second line winger at absolute best, but if you ask me he is by far better utilized at D. I don't know why Maurice insists on having him play Forward when he clearly is not as good at it as he is at being a defensemen.

Because you can get away with being a floaty forward more often than a floaty D. Buff on the forecheck or carrying the puck into the zone is a huge advantage for the Jets. A big body up front is what we're missing from Antropov's game.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Because you can get away with being a floaty forward more often than a floaty D. Buff on the forecheck or carrying the puck into the zone is a huge advantage for the Jets. A big body up front is what we're missing from Antropov's game.

I think that Buff has been pretty effective at both D and forward. I can see how Maurice would want Buff as part of a formidably big forward crew. I think that describing Buff as a "floaty D" misrepresents his effectiveness on D. He gambles more than some D, and he occasionally turned the puck over. But when he is on D he has the puck on his stick an awful lot due to his aggressiveness, anticipation and elite stick skills (for taking and keeping the puck).

If Bogo had shown that he could have played the Left side on D, I could see the Jets playing Trouba and Buff as the top two RHD, but Bogo was ineffective in that role. I think Buff up front is more because the Jets want to play Trouba and Bogo as the top two RD, than because they hate Buff on D and love him at forward.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Slotted him in there based on Mo's comments that he really liked Wheels and Buff together, "they have good chemistry", and thought Scheifele and Wheels worked well together. But I agree, not sure I'm sold on Buff there either.

Maybe you throw Burmi in the middle of those two (Buff and Wheels), and have Kane-Scheifele and "x". Just need to figure out who that "x" guy could be via trade or promotion from within (O'Dell).

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I wouldn't get caught up in this first line, second line business. At 5v5 Little's line will match up against the other team's number one and therefore have the most minutes. Otherwise, I think the goal of the first three lines will be to split minutes at 5v5 evenly.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think that Buff has been pretty effective at both D and forward. I can see how Maurice would want Buff as part of a formidably big forward crew. I think that describing Buff as a "floaty D" misrepresents his effectiveness on D. He gambles more than some D, and he occasionally turned the puck over. But when he is on D he has the puck on his stick an awful lot due to his aggressiveness, anticipation and elite stick skills (for taking and keeping the puck).

If Bogo had shown that he could have played the Left side on D, I could see the Jets playing Trouba and Buff as the top two RHD, but Bogo was ineffective in that role. I think Buff up front is more because the Jets want to play Trouba and Bogo as the top two RD, than because they hate Buff on D and love him at forward.

If Buff doesn't get traded, I kind of hope he gets a shot at D as well -- I do consider him a bit "floaty" as in he takes forever coming back when he makes a rush sometimes & isn't real diligent about taking the man, but I think a few sessions with Maurice would straighten him right out.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Buff's lost in his own end too often for a defenseman that plays that many minutes. He's an impact player back there, but he's also a liability in the games he doesn't produce.

He's just fine at second or third line wing on either side. I like him, Wheeler and Scheifele on the 2nd line. Put Kane with Burmistrov - if we can get him back.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Buff's lost in his own end too often for a defenseman that plays that many minutes. He's an impact player back there, but he's also a liability in the games he doesn't produce.

He's just fine at second or third line wing on either side. I like him, Wheeler and Scheifele on the 2nd line. Put Kane with Burmistrov - if we can get him back.

I don't see how we wouldn't. I've said it before and I've said it again...Burmistrov heading the KHL was a little to convenient for me, considering that the team lacked the cap space to actually sign the guy. He has an out clause in his contract, it has always been his dream to play in the NHL, and now Noel is gone.I cannot see why he wouldn't be back.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
I think Kane and Burmi can work well together and they have in the past. I also think Wheeler, Scheifele and Buff would be a great line, cycling the puck, all big bodies with scoring touch and keep Little, Ladd and Frolik together and maybe put O'Dell at RW on Burmi's line.

I like having our two fastest wingers on separate lines and like having our talent spread out between the top three lines.

Of course this could change depending if Burmi comes back or not or who else we get in the offseason but lines like this can give options and whomever gets more minutes may change from game to game depending on which line is going

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Kane needs a guy to get him the rock. He's not a one time shooter at all. The two of them worked together before, and both are measurably worse without.

Ladd-Little-Frolik
Buff-Scheifele-Wheeler
Kane-Burmistrov-someone

If we find "someone", this is a playoff team with or without Pavelec IMO

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
No , no , no .... please no.

I think Kane needs a setup man.....and Burmi can't do that :cry: as well as 55

Thats not all together true. Garret did the math, and the two were actually VERY effective together. i agree that Scheifs was a better fit, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with placing Burmi on a line with Kane as both are very very good at carrying the puck forward. It would be a VERY solid two way line.

Kane - Scheif - Burmi

I could see all of them averaging about sixty points if properly utilized.

the most important thing burmistrov gives us is options. He can slot in almost anywhere in the top nine.

Kane - Scheif - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmi - Little
??? - ??? - Frolik

Or...sing Stastny or get Pavelski or what have you and the top nine looks like this...

Kane - Scheif - Wheels
Ladd - FA - Little
??? - Burmi - Frolik

I personally like Raymond out of Toronto for that third line role. Great fast, two way line...gives us the freedom to run three lines at will.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Thats not all together true. Garret did the math, and the two were actually VERY effective together. i agree that Scheifs was a better fit, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with placing Burmi on a line with Kane as both are very very good at carrying the puck forward. It would be a VERY solid two way line.

Kane - Scheif - Burmi

I could see all of them averaging about sixty points if properly utilized.

the most important thing burmistrov gives us is options. He can slot in almost anywhere in the top nine.

Kane - Scheif - Wheeler
Ladd - Burmi - Little
??? - ??? - Frolik

Or...sing Stastny or get Pavelski or what have you and the top nine looks like this...

Kane - Scheif - Wheels
Ladd - FA - Little
??? - Burmi - Frolik

I personally like Raymond out of Toronto for that third line role. Great fast, two way line...gives us the freedom to run three lines at will.

Yeah I remember pooh-poohing you Raymond suggestion last year. He had a really good bounce back year in TO. He doesn't have much finish but he's a good possession player with speed and decent PK and defensive ability. He'd make a fast team even faster.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Yeah I remember pooh-poohing you Raymond suggestion last year. He had a really good bounce back year in TO. He doesn't have much finish but he's a good possession player with speed and decent PK and defensive ability. He'd make a fast team even faster.

A bounce back is VERY relative. He didn't put up the big 25 g season like he has in the past, but he scored on a similar rate as his two previous injury seasons.

11/12: he scored at a 0.36
12/13: he scored at a 0.48ppg
13/14: he scored at a 0.55ppg.

Nothing world beating, considering he played with better line mates in TO then he did in Van. I'm starting to think that that they made a mistake getting rid of the guy. the big difference this season is that he wasn't playing with a broken back and still recovering from it. I'd like to take a chance on the guy personally...he was the one guy I wanted from FA last year.

Maybe he comes here this season.

jetkarma*

Not the best use of assets imo . I don't see nor believe that Burmistrov passes the puck , distributes it well enough to have Kane on his wing . For the Jets to take that needed step , Kane needs to produce and I doubt that is done best with Burmistrov.

Scheifele is much better a match and would help elevate the production and play of Kane . Burmistrov MAY have improved a fair bit in that regard though , we'll see , but when he left his best position would on the wing , again imo .

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Not the best use of assets imo . I don't see nor believe that Burmistrov passes the puck , distributes it well enough to have Kane on his wing . For the Jets to take that needed step , Kane needs to produce and I doubt that is done best with Burmistrov.

Scheifele is much better a match and would help elevate the production and play of Kane . Burmistrov MAY have improved a fair bit in that regard though , we'll see , but when he left his best position would on the wing , again imo .

His work in the KHL says otherwise, about passing that is.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Didn't Kane spend quite a bit of time on the wing with Burmi during Kane's most productive season?

jetkarma*

His work in the KHL says otherwise, about passing that is.

Completely different league and game though , checking and ice size not at all the same.

No doubt the KHL suits or suited his game better , that isn't the point , nor does it mean much for the NHL game.

jetkarma*

Didn't Kane spend quite a bit of time on the wing with Burmi during Kane's most productive season?

My point is him centering Kane , I have said from year one that Burmistrov's best position ( at that time and when left ) was at wing . He could be a positive piece at C , not saying he can't be , but his game needs to evolve , grow and get NHL better for that imo . At wing he doesn't hold the puck too long ( or have it as much ) and thus squander some scoring opportunities.

If he plays C I see that on the the so called third line and I know we may try to balance the top three lines , but until he proves otherwise I don't want Burmistrov centering Kane. I REALLY want Kane with Scheifele as I believe that is the best for production and for wins for the Jets.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
Completely different league and game though , checking and ice size not at all the same.

No doubt the KHL suits or suited his game better , that isn't the point , nor does it mean much for the NHL game.

Sure it does. It helped his development quite a bit I imagine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad