Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Sounds like the fans in Kazan were disappointed in Burmi's play as well, seems to be a trend wherever he plays, inability to put points up, all flash no substance. Seems to me the Burmi fans in here have real short memories about how good this guy really is, 3rd line C on a non-playoff team at best.

He had a pretty good first quarter of the season in the K. IIRC his best hockey here was always early in the season.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Sounds like the fans in Kazan were disappointed in Burmi's play as well, seems to be a trend wherever he plays, inability to put points up, all flash no substance. Seems to me the Burmi fans in here have real short memories about how good this guy really is, 3rd line C on a non-playoff team at best.

Yeah, I'm sure they're real disappointed with the #1 point scorer on the team. :rolleyes:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Yeah, I'm sure they're real disappointed with the #1 point scorer on the team. :rolleyes:

Guess they were real happy with his playoff success in the KHL: 6 games, 0 goals and a -7 and the teams 10th leading scorer in the PO's with 2 pts.

PS Sure Burmi led his crappy KHL team in scoring but the fact is the #2 and #3 scorers were both career AHL'ers, the KHL is a lot closer to the AHL than the NHL!

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Guess they were real happy with his playoff success in the KHL: 6 games, 0 goals and a -7 and the teams 10th leading scorer in the PO's with 2 pts.

PS Sure Burmi led his crappy KHL team in scoring but the fact is the #2 and #3 scorers were both career AHL'ers, the KHL is a lot closer to the AHL than the NHL!
The goal posts keep moving.

theamazingchris

Jan 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Well, given that the best AHLers usually spend some time in the NHL, and the KHL is better than the AHL... Nobody's saying Burmi's a world-beater. But he's good enough to play in the NHL. And young NHL capable players aren't easy to come by. We should keep this one.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

My expectations are set differently than yours Sip. Alex is a proven 3rd line centre on a team that is missing some big pieces in our middle six. We do not have to give up assets to sign him. He is a year older than Couturier in Philly who is loved for playing a similar role. I don't think FA's will be clamoring to come to a non playoff team so I think getting Alex back in the fold is a good move. Look no further than a guy like Granlund who really struggled to produce in Minny up until this season. I would be really happy if Alex put up between 35-45 points playing middle six minutes and killing penalties for us.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
My expectations are set differently than yours Sip. Alex is a proven 3rd line centre on a team that is missing some big pieces in our middle six. We do not have to give up assets to sign him. He is a year older than Couturier in Philly who is loved for playing a similar role. I don't think FA's will be clamoring to come to a non playoff team so I think getting Alex back in the fold is a good move. Look no further than a guy like Granlund who really struggled to produce in Minny up until this season. I would be really if Alex put up between 35-45 points playing middle six minutes and killing penalties for us.

Exactly.

I also think the notion that Burmi has attitude problems because he couldn't get along with Noel is overblown. It's now pretty clear that many of the Jets also had some issues with Noel's coaching style. In particular, they made it clear that Maurice was much clearer in his communication about what he expected. Burmi indicated that he didn't really know what Noel wanted.

It might seem a bit entitled, but the other issue that Burmi had was that he was forced to play in the AHL during the lockout (instead of being allowed to play at home). This was after two full seasons in the NHL. That would be like sending Scheifele back to the AHL to develop after next season. I really wonder if the Jets would have tried to do this to any of their other young prospects. Burmi had already shown that he was a top 9 player on the team, so it was a bit of a slap in the face for him. To then have Noel spend the year favouring Jokinen over Burmi must have made Burmi question his future in the organization.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I think he adds value as a 3rd line Center, and 1st unit pk'er. Now the question is, would Burmi embrace that role?

After playing a year in the KHL at home for way more money, and being their leading scorer, would he want to come back to the NHL for less money and a lesser role? Not sure. Only Burmi can answer that. It's just not a black and white decision.

As well, the Jets seem to be grooming Lowry to be a big, strong, shut down Center who can also put up points. He's likely a year away, still, so do they view Burmi as the future or as a stop gap move? Do they see him as a better option than Olli (greater potential), but still not sold he is a future core piece?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think he adds value as a 3rd line Center, and 1st unit pk'er. Now the question is, would Burmi embrace that role?

After playing a year in the KHL at home for way more money, and being their leading scorer, would he want to come back to the NHL for less money and a lesser role? Not sure. Only Burmi can answer that. It's just not a black and white decision.

As well, the Jets seem to be grooming Lowry to be a big, strong, shut down Center who can also put up points. He's likely a year away, still, so do they view Burmi as the future or as a stop gap move? Do they see him as a better option than Olli (greater potential), but still not sold he is a future core piece?

I hope that Copp also has potential for that role.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
I hope that Copp also has potential for that role.

He could very well be, Whileee.

But he's likely 2 yrs away from contributing in the NHL how Burmi would if he was resigned this summer. Though Copp's upside, or fit in the line-up, might be greater than Burmi's. You never know.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

I think Burmistrov is a good option for our #3 center next year, but after that I'm not sure considering Lowry is coming up, and I'm pretty sure we would rather have a big center in Lowry than Burmistrov.

If Burmi comes back, his long term role with the team probably won't be at center. Having him play LW with Lowry and Frolik would be a pretty nice 3rd line if they can gel.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think Burmistrov is a good option for our #3 center next year, but after that I'm not sure considering Lowry is coming up, and I'm pretty sure we would rather have a big center in Lowry than Burmistrov.

If Burmi comes back, his long term role with the team probably won't be at center. Having him play LW with Lowry and Frolik would be a pretty nice 3rd line if they can gel.

He could very well be, Whileee.

But he's likely 2 yrs away from contributing in the NHL how Burmi would if he was resigned this summer. Though Copp's upside, or fit in the line-up, might be greater than Burmi's. You never know.
As much as I am a fan of Lowry and Copp - neither guy is close to a sure thing.

I am cautiously optimistic that one of them could be a long term piece on the 3rd line, but we have a long we to go before Chevy needs to plan his depth chart around either of them.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg

I am cautiously optimistic that one of them could be a long term piece on the 3rd line, but we have a long we to go before Chevy needs to plan his depth chart around either of them.

No doubt. Lowry and Copp both progressed nicely. But they are both hopefuls to fill a role Burmistrov was capable of filling at 19.

Hopefully there is a role earned by all of them somewhere in the next several years.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg

True.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I think it worked out for him in Kazan. But wouldn't mind seeing him back with the Jets which is very doubtful, unless he was traded to the Capitals. But truthfully, he should've gotten nine games with the Thrashers, then maybe made the Jets the following season or played for the Icecaps.

Can't wait to see this thread reach part two. I even remember walking into River City Sports and seeing a sign that said all Alexander Bumristrov stuff 75% off.

Hobby Bull

amazon sucks
May 21, 2013
I think it worked out for him in Kazan. But wouldn't mind seeing him back with the Jets which is very doubtful, unless he was traded to the Capitals. But truthfully, he should've gotten nine games with the Thrashers, then maybe made the Jets the following season or played for the Icecaps.

Can't wait to see this thread reach part two. I even remember walking into River City Sports and seeing a sign that said all Alexander Bumristrov stuff 75% off.

I remember that, too! ...and me without the foresight to see Trouba as #8... bought my wife a Trouba jersey at full price this Christmas.

If I were in Burmistrov's skates, I'd stay at home for the big money. I imagine Canada is as foreign to him as Russia would be to us, and a few years at his salary will have him set for life. It is conceivable that the locals view him as a Nash, or a Hainsey, and expect him to perform at a higher level due to his salary, and I guess that would be the only barrier to him having a nice career at home.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Guys even if you are a hater, think he dangles too much, don't like the fact he took a fat pay day in Russia, think he was a cocky coach killer, wanted to punch him in the face when he was laughing on the bench when we were losing, think he has no O skills or finish..... and....and.... fill in every other thing that pi55es you off there is still one key thing to keep in mind here. We had at least two very nice trade deals for him at the deadline and an offer for him on draft day in 2013 but he wasn't under contract so no go. Other teams definitely want his talents so it's kind of important we get him back under contract so he can be flipped at a minimum. That or trade him on draft day.

It's just BIDness

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I remember that, too! ...and me without the foresight to see Trouba as #8... bought my wife a Trouba jersey at full price this Christmas.

If I were in Burmistrov's skates, I'd stay at home for the big money. I imagine Canada is as foreign to him as Russia would be to us, and a few years at his salary will have him set for life. It is conceivable that the locals view him as a Nash, or a Hainsey, and expect him to perform at a higher level due to his salary, and I guess that would be the only barrier to him having a nice career at home.

From what I heard I think the new car smell kind of faded for Burmi in Russia. I think he has always wanted to play in the NHL but I have no idea how much of a haircut he is willing to take to come back. I am at least hopeful he listens to Liut because Mike will have a good idea what Burmi's value is and he might be able to sell Alex on doing a bridge deal.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
Other teams definitely want his talents so it's kind of important we get him back under contract so he can be flipped at a minimum. That or trade him on draft day.

This x 1000

Hes an asset, the longer we wait the more that asset depreciates. Its like buying a new car that isnt collectable and parking it in the garage permanently.

TCsmyth

Mar 25, 2011
Guys even if you are a hater, think he dangles too much, don't like the fact he took a fat pay day in Russia, think he was a cocky coach killer, wanted to punch him in the face when he was laughing on the bench when we were losing, think he has no O skills or finish..... and....and.... fill in every other thing that pi55es you off there is still one key thing to keep in mind here. We had at least two very nice trade deals for him at the deadline and an offer for him on draft day in 2013 but he wasn't under contract so no go. Other teams definitely want his talents so it's kind of important we get him back under contract so he can be flipped at a minimum. That or trade him on draft day.

It's just BIDness

Great post. Regardless of any opinion, Burmi is an asset with value. If he really wants to come back (and having Liut as his agent points to no other conclusion), then there is probably a reasonable $ number that can get his name on a contract this time.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Always wondered if Burmi would have interest from Detroit. Perhaps a Burmi and Buff deal with the Wings can get done. They have some interesting young players. And may be willing to move a draft pick or two as well.

powder88

Nov 21, 2013
Through three gams at the World Championships, he has 0 points and is playing about 12:00 min a game (no word on his Corsi rel%, though:sarcasm:).

While he would be a nice asset to have back in the fold, there is precious little evidence that he is currently a middle six NHL player. 3rd line/specialty teams? Yes. An upgrade over half a dozen players the Jets trotted out this year? Definitely. The key to unlocking Kane's 40 goal potential? Not so sure about that.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Through three gams at the World Championships, he has 0 points and is playing about 12:00 min a game (no word on his Corsi rel%, though:sarcasm:).

While he would be a nice asset to have back in the fold, there is precious little evidence that he is currently a middle six NHL player. 3rd line/specialty teams? Yes. An upgrade over half a dozen players the Jets trotted out this year? Definitely. The key to unlocking Kane's 40 goal potential? Not so sure about that.

Well... The 3rd line is part of the middle six. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad