Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2024-25

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I promised in the Kivi thread that I would give a small breakdown to my best recollection from Dev Camp this week, if I miss anyone or you want to ask any questions please feel free. My boys and I sat through the whole thing as we do every year, it’s pretty cool to have young kids see others realize their dreams and also that the fundamentals don’t stop.

Speaking of fundamentals.. Wednesdays groups were split into two sessions. During the skating drills, coaches had as the lead “demonstration” guy, the first group had Lambos.. which makes sense being he played pro last year, the second group Hunter Haight lead.

Heidt was far and away a different tier than the rest of the first group, his skating was really efficient and he just had this sort of confidence to the drills that no one else had. Last year he had what I would call that “pup ego” where he showed flash but could see the rawness.. this year his flash was calculated and he had a definite “elder” mentality. Everyone else would get a drink, he’d take a knee by the board. I remember pointing that out to my boys because last year he was kind of dinking around like a young player would.. so he’s grown mentally. His shot, was far and away better than I remembered. Quick release, and heavy finish. I honestly didn’t think he would have a realistic chance to make the team this year beyond the 6 games he will likely get.. I still think he will end up back in juniors just due to bodies, but I think he will press far more than we all thought. He’s close.

Won’t spend much time talking about Ohgren, he looked like the elder, and also carried a ton of confidence. That shot still blows my mind… only downside was hearing it hit the glass as often as we did! He’s always been in great shape, but can tell he’s really aiming to truly “take” a spot like he said.

Zeev was a blast to watch.. he definitely has some tools we haven’t seen in our d core, and he’s not afraid to make a play and he’s capable of making them. I mentioned it in the Kivi thread but they were a blast to watch in the 2 on 2, looked like some forwards. He will likely sign this next year after the college season ends, but do think he can mature some. He’s going to be a stud.

Stramel… I don’t want to dog on him but was hoping with all this talk and motivation/chip on the shoulder he would bring it. I don’t think he looked bad by any means but he didn’t really stand out. I do remember one instance in 2 on 2, Bankier got pretty physical with him and Charlie didn’t back down. He laid back into him, won the puck and ended up making a nice pass for an assist.

The Iowa guys all looked okay.. nothing saying they are pushing for a ton more. Thought Spacek looked better than Peart. Lambos looked good.. would have like to see them stand out more. Bankier made some really good plays and definitely looks like he could be a call up at some point. But I get similar Beckman feels.

Lorenz was a blast to watch. Honestly reminded me a lot of a Coyle but maybe a little quicker feet. Like him more as a prospect since this time last year.

Ritchie has unbelievable hands and creativity, sneaky release. His skating was a lot better than I thought, but kid is a string bean.. know he’s young but if he puts on some beef he could be a similar style player to Boldy.. Boldy light.

Haight impressed me just as much this year as he did last year. I’d call him the most consistent player in camp. Very cerebral and probably the closest “it” factor to what I saw with Heidt, Ohgren and Zeev. He turned a play where he got a bad pass and forced to the outside into a goal by flipping his hips and dangling a puck through 2 Iowa guys and then roofed it. He’s going to be a good middle 6 guy down the road.

2 other guys of note before my novel ends..

Sammy Hlajav is a unit.. I could see him knocking on the door in Iowa and if Wallstedt sticks with us, he will be the guy in Iowa. Very confident. I’m no goalie guru, but his lateral movement was textbook.

The other I was presently surprised with as an invitee was Jackson Nevers. He didn’t look out of place by any means at all, and though I’ve seen him play a fair amount.. his shot next to a lot of these other guys was right there.

For what it’s worth they held an autograph session and isolated some guys. The group was Zeev, Spacek, Rasmus, Haight, Ohgren, Peart, Lambos, Heidt and Lorenz. Interesting to me that Charlie didn’t sign..

Hope this wasn’t a waste of your time.. like I said if you want more specifics I can try my best to recall what I saw.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I promised in the Kivi thread that I would give a small breakdown to my best recollection from Dev Camp this week, if I miss anyone or you want to ask any questions please feel free. My boys and I sat through the whole thing as we do every year, it’s pretty cool to have young kids see others realize their dreams and also that the fundamentals don’t stop.

Speaking of fundamentals.. Wednesdays groups were split into two sessions. During the skating drills, coaches had as the lead “demonstration” guy, the first group had Lambos.. which makes sense being he played pro last year, the second group Hunter Haight lead.

Heidt was far and away a different tier than the rest of the first group, his skating was really efficient and he just had this sort of confidence to the drills that no one else had. Last year he had what I would call that “pup ego” where he showed flash but could see the rawness.. this year his flash was calculated and he had a definite “elder” mentality. Everyone else would get a drink, he’d take a knee by the board. I remember pointing that out to my boys because last year he was kind of dinking around like a young player would.. so he’s grown mentally. His shot, was far and away better than I remembered. Quick release, and heavy finish. I honestly didn’t think he would have a realistic chance to make the team this year beyond the 6 games he will likely get.. I still think he will end up back in juniors just due to bodies, but I think he will press far more than we all thought. He’s close.

Won’t spend much time talking about Ohgren, he looked like the elder, and also carried a ton of confidence. That shot still blows my mind… only downside was hearing it hit the glass as often as we did! He’s always been in great shape, but can tell he’s really aiming to truly “take” a spot like he said.

Zeev was a blast to watch.. he definitely has some tools we haven’t seen in our d core, and he’s not afraid to make a play and he’s capable of making them. I mentioned it in the Kivi thread but they were a blast to watch in the 2 on 2, looked like some forwards. He will likely sign this next year after the college season ends, but do think he can mature some. He’s going to be a stud.

Stramel… I don’t want to dog on him but was hoping with all this talk and motivation/chip on the shoulder he would bring it. I don’t think he looked bad by any means but he didn’t really stand out. I do remember one instance in 2 on 2, Bankier got pretty physical with him and Charlie didn’t back down. He laid back into him, won the puck and ended up making a nice pass for an assist.

The Iowa guys all looked okay.. nothing saying they are pushing for a ton more. Thought Spacek looked better than Peart. Lambos looked good.. would have like to see them stand out more. Bankier made some really good plays and definitely looks like he could be a call up at some point. But I get similar Beckman feels.

Lorenz was a blast to watch. Honestly reminded me a lot of a Coyle but maybe a little quicker feet. Like him more as a prospect since this time last year.

Ritchie has unbelievable hands and creativity, sneaky release. His skating was a lot better than I thought, but kid is a string bean.. know he’s young but if he puts on some beef he could be a similar style player to Boldy.. Boldy light.

Haight impressed me just as much this year as he did last year. I’d call him the most consistent player in camp. Very cerebral and probably the closest “it” factor to what I saw with Heidt, Ohgren and Zeev. He turned a play where he got a bad pass and forced to the outside into a goal by flipping his hips and dangling a puck through 2 Iowa guys and then roofed it. He’s going to be a good middle 6 guy down the road.

Sammy Hlajav is a unit.. I could see him knocking on the door in Iowa and if Wallstedt sticks with us, he will be the guy in Iowa. Very confident. I’m no goalie guru, but his lateral movement was textbook.

The other I was presently surprised with as an invitee was Jackson Nevers. He didn’t look out of place by any means at all, and though I’ve seen him play a fair amount.. his shot next to a lot of these other guys was right there.

For what it’s worth they held an autograph session and isolated some guys. The group was Zeev, Spacek, Rasmus, Haight, Ohgren, Peart, Lambos, Heidt and Lorenz. Interesting to me that Charlie didn’t sign..

Hope this wasn’t a waste of your time.. like I said if you want more specifics I can try my best to recall what I saw.
Awesome post. I'm really glad to hear Hlavaj impressed, as I was hoping he would. The Wild haven't been drafting enough good goalie talent in recent years, so I am excited that they may have found a diamond in the rough with him. Plus, Iowa really could use another good goalie, even if Wallstedt is there.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
Awesome post. I'm really glad to hear Hlavaj impressed, as I was hoping he would. The Wild haven't been drafting enough good goalie talent in recent years, so I am excited that they may have found a diamond in the rough with him. Plus, Iowa really could use another good goalie, even if Wallstedt is there.
He has no lack of confidence at all. Wutzke didn’t look too bad at all either, definitely more raw but there is potential there.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia

Thanks you! Much appreciated!

Reactions: StateofCelly

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
AKL pointed it out a few days ago, but PuckPedia is probably the best site for what CapFriendly did, now, in case you still want to be able to reference stuff. I've already noticed several limitations, but it's what we've got for now.
Thank you, that's helpful. Probably gonna take some time getting used to, but it is what it is.
I noticed the player's agent is named on their player's card. Odd.

It says Marcus J is a center. Has he ever played that position in his whole career?

Reactions: BagHead

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I like CapWages' interface better than PuckPedia, since it's pretty identical to CapFriendly, for the quick/basic standard info lookup.

They just need to develop the additional tools, which I'm sure they will over time.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It says Marcus J is a center. Has he ever played that position in his whole career?

He spent time there early on in his career with Washington

I don't trust positions listed on any hockey website. A lot of the times they're fine, but you never know for sure when they're not fine. Yakov Trenin is listed as a center on most websites I see, including the actual NHL website, but the only time he's ever played center in the NHL is the short stint he had in Colorado at the end of last season.

Reactions: Sweetnut

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I like CapWages' interface better than PuckPedia, since it's pretty identical to CapFriendly, for the quick/basic standard info lookup.

They just need to develop the additional tools, which I'm sure they will over time.
Ah, nice! Thanks for sharing. I'll bookmark that one.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Scott Wheeler did his Top 100 Prospects. Skaters only.

Buium #5, Tier 2
Yurov #30, Tier 4
Ohgren #66, Tier 5
Heidt #100, Tier 6

I want people to form their own opinions, so...
I am excited for Buium, but most days I wouldn't rank him above Yurov, much less 25 spots and 2 tiers ahead.

This is a list that's fun to read, but I wouldn't take much away from it. I remember lists like this back a decade ago, and 2/3rds of them were busts or bottom 6 players when all was said and done.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011

Buium #5, Tier 2
Yurov #30, Tier 4
Ohgren #66, Tier 5
Heidt #100, Tier 6

I am excited for Buium, but most days I wouldn't rank him above Yurov, much less 25 spots and 2 tiers ahead.

This is a list that's fun to read, but I wouldn't take much away from it. I remember lists like this back a decade ago, and 2/3rds of them were busts or bottom 6 players when all was said and done.

I'm sure these lists always have a healthy dose of recency bias, might even be on purpose to get more clicks.

He also has Khusnutdinov as a prospect who barely missed the list, so his order of prospects is mostly the same as this board's outside of the Yurov/Buium swap.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

Buium #5, Tier 2
Yurov #30, Tier 4
Ohgren #66, Tier 5
Heidt #100, Tier 6

I have to click on anything with a big red banner on it, so i did, and my opinion is now contaminated because of it. It's your fault, too.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Buium #5, Tier 2
Yurov #30, Tier 4
Ohgren #66, Tier 5
Heidt #100, Tier 6

I have Buium as our top prospect, so makes sense to me with that ranking.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Buium #5, Tier 2
Yurov #30, Tier 4
Ohgren #66, Tier 5
Heidt #100, Tier 6

Dare I say this, I think at times Yurov is a bit overrated on this board. He's my favorite prospect and I can't wait for him to come over, he certainly had a great season in the KHL production-wise, and I think he'll absolutely be a good NHL player.

That said, sometimes we have a tendency to project him as a true 1C, and watching him in the KHL last year, I don't know if I'm entirely comfortable with that projection yet. He has the potential to get there, but I'd like to see more from him this coming season. He put up a lot of points in the regular season, but he wasn't consistently dominating games the way a superstar does or should. There were plenty of games that I watched where he would be mostly invisible for the majority of the game, but would still end up with a point or two. Not a bad quality to have at age 20, but also not easily projectable to the NHL level.

This season he'll be 21, and I'd like to see him consistently being a factor not just on the score sheet, but every time he's on the ice. At age 21, if he's going to be an NHL star, I think he should be the one that teams in the KHL are game planning for, and he should be dictating the pace of play. Like I said, he's got the potential, I just want to see him put it together.

All that is to say, I can understand why Yurov would be quite a bit lower than we think he should be. Especially since reports on Buium are that he was already dictating pace of play in Denver as a 17 year old against men. That's the trait that superstars have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad