Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2024-25

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I have to click on anything with a big red banner on it, so i did, and my opinion is now contaminated because of it. It's your fault, too.
destruct.jpg

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Yurov might also be more of a mystery box than most prospects after their D+2 season, since he didn't get a chance to show what he can do in U20s or WHCs.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It hurts that Minnesota missed on a bunch of 2nd round picks and 1st round picks:
Lambos, Stramel weren't ranked. O'Rourke, Firstov (Jones was an OA). Even Khusnutdinov looks shaky as a top 6 guy and then you hope Lorenz, Haight, Ryder and Kumps all develop into players.

There were 3 teams with 6 names, 6 teams with 5 names and then Minnesota's group. So, in terms of top 100, Minnesota at best is 10th? They have dropped a bit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
It hurts that Minnesota missed on a bunch of 2nd round picks and 1st round picks:
Lambos, Stramel weren't ranked. O'Rourke, Firstov (Jones was an OA). Even Khusnutdinov looks shaky as a top 6 guy and then you hope Lorenz, Haight, Ryder and Kumps all develop into players.

There were 3 teams with 6 names, 6 teams with 5 names and then Minnesota's group. So, in terms of top 100, Minnesota at best is 10th? They have dropped a bit.
Patience, Eucalyptus dweller.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Patience, Eucalyptus dweller.
I'm just saying; they have swung and missed on a couple of guys so far that could have made an impact. I'm not seeing much from Lambos or Stramel. And O'Rourke didn't take that huge step forward that we had guessed. More so, Jones was a waste of a pick and so was Firstov.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I'm just saying; they have swung and missed on a couple of guys so far that could have made an impact. I'm not seeing much from Lambos or Stramel. And O'Rourke didn't take that huge step forward that we had guessed. More so, Jones was a waste of a pick and so was Firstov.
Most goaltender picks are wasted picks. That's why they should be avoided in the 1st round for the most part. I personally never want a 1st round goaltender. Leave that risk for the 2nd and later.

Players-drafted-per-position.png
Draft-pick-success-rate-per-position-ranges.png

Goalie success falls fastest and hardest in the 1st round, bounce back up in the 2nd and 3rd because guys fall from teams generally not wanting that risk. Those low odds from those few selections taken just never inspire confidence of success.

Waiver Draft

Jun 27, 2024
Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Most goaltender picks are wasted picks. That's why they should be avoided in the 1st round for the most part. I personally never want a 1st round goaltender. Leave that risk for the 2nd and later.

Players-drafted-per-position.png
Draft-pick-success-rate-per-position-ranges.png

Goalie success falls fastest and hardest in the 1st round, bounce back up in the 2nd and 3rd because guys fall from teams generally not wanting that risk. Those low odds from those few selections taken just never inspire confidence of success.

I wonder how much the 99 game cutoff skews things for goalie? Skaters get that done pretty easily in the 2 seasons. For a backup goalie that could be almost 4 full seasons worth of games.

Reactions: BagHead

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
World Junior Summer Showcase starts today with both US teams in action against Finland and Sweden. Buium, Kumpulainen, Kiviharju listed on the rosters with Heidt for Canada later on.

Edit: actually Kiviharju is not participating in this showcase. Soini is playing however to add to the list.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I wonder how much the 99 game cutoff skews things for goalie? Skaters get that done pretty easily in the 2 seasons. For a backup goalie that could be almost 4 full seasons worth of games.
This is a very good point, and I can't believe I didn't think of it, it's so important.

Another thing working against them here is the scarcity of jobs available. There are only 32 starting goalie jobs available at any given point in the NHL, with incumbents usually retaining their spots for a handful of years at a time, if not longer, and the average number of goalies drafted each year is 20 (source: Corey Pronman). Combining the incumbent issue with how long goalie develop times typically last, even if a goalie is good enough to make it, there's a big-enough-to-mention chance he won't meet the 99 game criteria until he's in his mid to late 20's.

Reactions: 57special

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Heidt (1C) vs Kumpulainen (1LW) and Soini (2RD) right now in the Summer Showcase. Kumpulainen just got a second assist on the PP after winning the draw.

Heidt looking good, had a nice one timer from range that the Finnish goalie just got over on, a couple of nice passes as well. Just had a sick assist on the PP as well, primary to Cristall.

Soini continues to impress me, he made a gamble play trying to carry out front of his own net that ended up in a chance against, but it was the attempt of a confident player and he otherwise looks very solid, twice now he has blocked a shot and gotten up into the ensuing rush.

Edit: Heidt finishes with 1G, 2 A, Kumpulainen with 2A, and Soini with 1G. Solid games for all 3, Soini was Finland's best defender today IMO (though the bar for that was uncharacteristically low today.)

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Heidt (1C) vs Kumpulainen (1LW) and Soini (2RD) right now in the Summer Showcase. Kumpulainen just got a second assist on the PP after winning the draw.

Heidt looking good, had a nice one timer from range that the Finnish goalie just got over on, a couple of nice passes as well. Just had a sick assist on the PP as well, primary to Cristall.

Soini continues to impress me, he made a gamble play trying to carry out front of his own net that ended up in a chance against, but it was the attempt of a confident player and he otherwise looks very solid, twice now he has blocked a shot and gotten up into the ensuing rush.

Edit: Heidt finishes with 1G, 2 A, Kumpulainen with 2A, and Soini with 1G. Solid games for all 3, Soini was Finland's best defender today IMO (though the bar for that was uncharacteristically low today.)
Good to hear. Like all three prospects. How big did Soini and Kumpu look, and were they physical?

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Good to hear. Like all three prospects. How big did Soini and Kumpu look, and were they physical?
Kumpulainen looks big and plays physical, skating seems much improved and he is getting a lot of puck touches in these games. The offensive skills (passing especially) aren’t fantastic but he gets the job done. Really reminds me of early JEE with a worse shot, he was battling with Dickinson all game and knocked him over a few times which is pretty impressive.

Soini looks smaller, but very solidly built and has shown a good mix of taking the body or making a good poke choke instead, his timing has been immaculate except for one time when Hagens blew by him, but he still recovered enough to get a stick lift on him before he could make a play. Cerebral player and the announcers have been complimenting him profusely.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I hope they give the guy a legit chance to make the team. Not sure that we can rely on Bogosian to play more than 60ish games.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Haight is listed as 6'2"?

Seems like he was listed as 6'2'' in the development camp roster as well. Even if a late growth spurt is in theory possible, surely someone would have noticed watching his games.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Seems like he was listed as 6'2'' in the development camp roster as well. Even if a late growth spurt is in theory possible, surely someone would have noticed watching his games.

Apparently someone did notice.

From that article:
Haight must spend more time in the AHL to develop into a top-five scorer. He hit a growth spurt, growing from 5-foot-10 to 6-foot-2, which allowed him to learn how to utilize his size better against men. He will take more time to add muscle and grow into his body. Haight is 182 lbs. right now. By the time he gets called up, he should be around 200 lbs.
I take Hockey Wilderness with a grain of salt, but that's definitely an interesting development if true.
Also, a little weird they said "top five" instead of "top six". Huh?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I wonder if it's an imaginary 6'2", or a real 6'2", as I also have little to no respect for Hockey Wilderness and their ability to do anything but parrot what has been laid out for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00