Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2024-25

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
For me, it's because I looked at his stat sheet. His statistical performance has been as impressive as my analysis of his game.
I wish that the NCAA tracked time on ice per game. It would certainly give perspective into the opportunities Stramel was not afforded this past season.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Is this because you sat down and watched Wisconsin games and feel that way or because you looked at his stat sheet?

The reason I ask is because if it is just stat sheet watching, would you have crapped all over Yurov during the 22-23 season when he put up 12 points in 59 games?
I watched some of him, and never saw much of anything. Certainly not enough to justify his pick level. It was quite obvious that obvious that Yurov was not getting any minutes on his team two years ago - what was it, 3 minutes per game average, or something like that- so I didn't worry.

Again, Stramel has done nothing to justify his pick. The only thing i have seen is size, but it's not like he is some juggernaut that will have NHL'ers quaking in his boots. A poor man's Greenway, maybe?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Is this because you sat down and watched Wisconsin games and feel that way or because you looked at his stat sheet?

The reason I ask is because if it is just stat sheet watching, would you have crapped all over Yurov during the 22-23 season when he put up 12 points in 59 games?

I had Yurov as an unknown (question mark) after the 22-23 season. I was the limited ToI he got that year kept me from making any judgements.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
There's a pretty significant difference in the context surrounding Yurov and Stramel and why they had the seasons they had, enough that comparing them is just about 100% meaningless

Reactions: Dr Jan Itor

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I watched some of him, and never saw much of anything. Certainly not enough to justify his pick level. It was quite obvious that obvious that Yurov was not getting any minutes on his team two years ago - what was it, 3 minutes per game average, or something like that- so I didn't worry.

Again, Stramel has done nothing to justify his pick. The only thing i have seen is size, but it's not like he is some juggernaut that will have NHL'ers quaking in his boots. A poor man's Greenway, maybe?

Pretty sure it was DigitalBooya who first compared Stramel to Greenway, but with a worse shot.

All stat-watchers know that 12 points as a teenager in the world's 2nd best hockey league is better than 8 points as a sophomore in college hockey. It's why they keep stats.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

Yurov averaged 8 minutes per game that season. I’m pretty sure if the NCAA tracked TOI that Stramel would be relatively close to that. The point is, it’s hard to produce or look good if you’re not getting minutes or opportunities regardless of the league.
I had Yurov as an unknown (question mark) after the 22-23 season. I was the limited ToI he got that year kept me from making any judgements.
And Stramel doesn’t get an unknown status due to his minutes?

Pretty sure it was DigitalBooya who first compared Stramel to Greenway, but with a worse shot.

All stat-watchers know that 12 points as a teenager in the world's 2nd best hockey league is better than 8 points as a sophomore in college hockey. It's why they keep stats.
The point isn’t the league comparison. The point is the usage comparison.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not slamming the door on Stramel, but I'm also not sure why I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt right now either. He had bad numbers with Hastings; he had bad numbers before Hastings; his last really good numbers year, I think he was 14 years old; and the leading scorer on Wisconsin was 6 months older than him.

I don't put blind faith in coaching decisions, but my guess is that Stramel wasn't forcing his hand in practice to move him up the lineup.

KHL is notorious with young players and their ice time, even more so than Hastings is.

Reactions: MuckOG

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I'm not slamming the door on Stramel, but I'm also not sure why I'd have to give him the benefit of the doubt right now either. He had bad numbers with Hastings; he had bad numbers before Hastings; his last really good numbers year, I think he was 14 years old; and the leading scorer on Wisconsin was 6 months older than him.

I don't put blind faith in coaching decisions, but my guess is that Stramel wasn't forcing his hand in practice to move him up the lineup.

KHL is notorious with young players and their ice time, even more so than Hastings is.
Hastings had Silye and Fitzgerald as his top 2 centers, both transfers from Minnesota State where Hastings knew what he was getting. Lindmark was a 5th year player. There was basically zero chance of Stramel playing in the top 9 as a center right from the start.

I’ll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt even now after he has transferred away from Wisconsin. I would not be surprised to see him do well with opportunity.

Reactions: Slotski

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hastings had Silye and Fitzgerald as his top 2 centers, both transfers from Minnesota State where Hastings knew what he was getting. Lindmark was a 5th year player. There was basically zero chance of Stramel playing in the top 9 as a center right from the start.

I’ll definitely give him the benefit of the doubt even now after he has transferred away from Wisconsin. I would not be surprised to see him do well with opportunity.
Didn't we hear the same excuse last year when Granato was fired? Stramel should do better and he actually played worse.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And Stramel doesn’t get an unknown status due to his minutes?

No because he wasn't getting only 2 random shifts a game as the 13th FWD like Yurov was.

Stramel wasn't getting top-6 usage, but he was getting regular bottom-6 usage. His linemates weren't anything special and cost him a few assists on the season.

I have Stamel as a future bottom-6 NHLer, and probably higher than anyone else here in the prospect rankings. With the caveat that he embraces the physical side of the game. He just seemed so passive every time I watched him on the ice last year.

I think this season will tell a lot more about him as a player than last year. Being injured to start the season and having a new coach who didn't recruit him played against him last year, so I am giving him some benefit of the doubt.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
No because he wasn't getting only 2 random shifts a game as the 13th FWD like Yurov was.

Stramel wasn't getting top-6 usage, but he was getting regular bottom-6 usage. His linemates weren't anything special and cost him a few assists on the season.

I have Stamel as a future bottom-6 NHLer, and probably higher than anyone else here in the prospect rankings. With the caveat that he embraces the physical side of the game. He just seemed so passive every time I watched him on the ice last year.

I think this season will tell a lot more about him as a player than last year. Being injured to start the season and having a new coach who didn't recruit him played against him last year, so I am giving him some benefit of the doubt.
In the season I referenced, Yurov averaged 8 minutes per game. So while there were some games where he did get really low ice time, there were also plenty of games where he played well over 10 minutes.

Describing his usage as bottom 6 is a disservice. He was stapled to the 4th line with 4th line minutes. He had maybe 2 or 3 games all year where he was elevated onto the 3rd line.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
In the season I referenced, Yurov averaged 8 minutes per game. So while there were some games where he did get really low ice time, there were also plenty of games where he played well over 10 minutes.

Describing his usage as bottom 6 is a disservice. He was stapled to the 4th line with 4th line minutes. He had maybe 2 or 3 games all year where he was elevated onto the 3rd line.

Okay I'm out. I've lost the narrative at this point.

I'm also not someone who is slobbers over prospects. They will either turn into something or they will not. I figure most won't turn into anything, so there is that.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Okay I'm out. I've lost the narrative at this point.

I'm also not someone who is slobbers over prospects. They will either turn into something or they will not. I figure most won't turn into anything, so there is that.
The narrative that it’s hard to produce without ice time and opportunities?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The narrative that it’s hard to produce without ice time and opportunities?

Dude you watched most every UW game with some of them live. Even your feedback was that he wasn't doing much. He did nothing to force himself higher into the lineup.

Players should be buried if there are better options on the team. He didn't get the opportunities because he didn't earn/deserve it.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Dude you watched most every UW game with some of them live. Even your feedback was that he wasn't doing much. He did nothing to force himself higher into the lineup.

Players should be buried if there are better options on the team. He didn't get the opportunities because he didn't earn/deserve it.

Even the "highlights" posted of the points he got were the most basic hockey plays that literally every player at that level should be able to do on a regular basis. He just didn't stand out at all in any positive way.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, as i said on the Main Board thread about him, let's at least wait till we're a few games into next season before we start declaring him a bust. So far, he has merely been disappointing. I do like the two other picks after him in that draft year, Heidt and Kumpulainen.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Probably be some rust tonight, especially in the first period, but I'd hope to see Bankier/Milne/Topo on a line. Banks and Topo looked dangerous together in the AHL, so would think they could really show up in this tournament. Add in Milne who was best Iowa player last two weeks (yes, even offensively), and should do well. Haight and Heidt together like last year should also do damage.

In short, with the amount of Iowa guys returning + Heidt/Haight, I think they should take care of business this weekend.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Heidt with a goal...cleaned up a rebound. His superpower is definitely his passing. Nothing fancy, but he moves the puck quickly and accurately. A bit of a pest, also.

Peart looks good, as does Lambos, and Masters was ok. Bankier ... just sort of there.

If Leskovar can play just decent D then he might have a job on an NHL bottom pairing in a few years. Size, and likes to hit.

oh, I like the goalie, too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Minnesota

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad