Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
First off, he played 9 games in the AHL before leaving for the KHL. He decided that the KHL was better for him and his development. And he probably missed home. Secondly, if this was something that pissed off Minnesota, then they need to get their priorities in check. Are they going to throw a hissy fit because Yurov signed an extension in the KHL instead of coming over to develop in the AHL? Why did Khusnutdinov, who spurned the Wild a few years ago, get to play in the NHL immediately when he didn't go to the AHL to develop then or now? Like there are some double standards being played here.

I will say that neither party is right here. It wouldn't have hurt the Wild to give Firstov a try out with the Wild. But on the other hand, Firstov set himself to be disappointed.
He didn't play 9 AHL games two seasons ago, he played 1. Which is exactly what I said. Please learn to read before trying to correct me.

The difference between Yurov/Khusnutdinov and Firstov is that they did not sign here, show up, and then bail. If they did that, then they would have to PROVE they are not a quitter if they are given a second chance. Firstov was given another chance to prove he isn't a quitter and he quit again.

The psychological need for some here to defend Firstov is just comical. Good riddance.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
First off, he played 9 games in the AHL before leaving for the KHL. He decided that the KHL was better for him and his development. And he probably missed home. Secondly, if this was something that pissed off Minnesota, then they need to get their priorities in check. Are they going to throw a hissy fit because Yurov signed an extension in the KHL instead of coming over to develop in the AHL? Why did Khusnutdinov, who spurned the Wild a few years ago, get to play in the NHL immediately when he didn't go to the AHL to develop then or now? Like there are some double standards being played here.

I will say that neither party is right here. It wouldn't have hurt the Wild to give Firstov a try out with the Wild. But on the other hand, Firstov set himself to be disappointed.
How did Khuts spurn the Wild a few years ago? Because he signed a contract in Russia during the offseason?

There’s a vast difference between signing a contract in Russia before the season starts and bailing 9 games into the season. Surely you can see the difference, right? Right?!?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How did Khuts spurn the Wild a few years ago? Because he signed a contract in Russia during the offseason?

There’s a vast difference between signing a contract in Russia before the season starts and bailing 9 games into the season. Surely you can see the difference, right? Right?!?
If the AHL is good enough to develop Firstov, it should have good enough to develop Yurov and Khusnutdinov.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don’t understand how this pertains to what I said at all

Why didn't Khusnutdinov start in the AHL when he was brought over? The only thing I can think of is because he was a center, but his numbers were terrible - especially on a team that included Michkov. If the AHL is good enough for Firstov when he came back, it should have been good enough for Khusnutdinov to start out. Khus was essentially gifted a spot because he was a high name prospect.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Why didn't Khusnutdinov start in the AHL when he was brought over? The only thing I can think of is because he was a center, but his numbers were terrible - especially on a team that included Michkov. If the AHL is good enough for Firstov when he came back, it should have been good enough for Khusnutdinov to start out. Khus was essentially gifted a spot because he was a high name prospect.

Marat K was a GMBG pick, Firstov wasn't.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Partly because we were shorthanded. If you remember, we were playing a trio of AHL'ers(letierri, luchinni, Shaw) on the 4th line on a regular basis. Beckman was getting PT, Freddy was looking injured and terrible, Marjo, too... Ohgren also got some time.

Marat had played a couple of full years in the KHL with reasonable success, while Bankier played part of one year (injury) in the AHL, and Milne also was injured for much of the season, and doesn't play C. they don't seem to like Walker, so that leaves guys like Fogarty who are good aHL'ers, but not NHL'ers.

It's not like we had an embarrassment of riches to choose from.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Remember when we were begging for offensive help going into the playoffs in 2020-21 and Boldy still had to go to Iowa that year? Guerin has always had some degree of treating his guys better than guys he didn't bring in. Maybe that's normal for GM's and coaches to do around the league, but we don't need to pretend it's not happening then.

Firstov wasn't Guerin's guy in the first place, and then Guerin supposedly got pissed when Firstov decided he'd rather develop in the KHL (and who could blame him). Same thing happened with Menell. It's clearly a pride/control issue for Guerin, he doesn't like when guys don't want to take the route he wants them to take.

Maybe Firstov is a bust and spends his entire career in Russia, and it doesn't actually matter, but I've seen enough of Guerin to know he's a proud and arrogant man, and that it influences his decision making.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's not like we had an embarrassment of riches to choose from.
Which is why it was odd they didn't at least give Firstov like a couple games.

In the end, it doesn't really matter but to generate discussion. Firstov is another bust in a long line of second round busts for Minnesota.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Firstov is another bust in a long line of second round busts for Minnesota.

At least we've graduated from the first round busts we were previously known for. Give it a few more years and we might be up to "just another third round bust from Minnesota".

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The Panthers went to the SCF last year, and might again this year, and they haven't drafted a player in the 2nd round that played for than 100+ NHL since 2011 (Grimaldi) and haven't drafted an impact player in the 2nd round since 2004 (Booth, "impact player" used loosely).

NY Rangers haven't had anything of note in the 2nd round since 2008 (Stepan).

Avalanche since 2009.

I don't think we're unique not pulling star after star out of the non-first rounds. The teams that have done it (Dallas, Tampa, Boston), good for them.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Panthers went to the SCF last year, and might again this year, and they haven't drafted a player in the 2nd round that played for than 100+ NHL since 2011 (Grimaldi) and haven't drafted an impact player in the 2nd round since 2004 (Booth, "impact player" used loosely).

Heineman was traded for Bennett.

NY Rangers haven't had anything of note in the 2nd round since 2008 (Stepan).

Will Cuylie? (85 games). Zac Jones 3rd round pick.

Avalanche since 2009.

I don't think we're unique not pulling star after star out of the non-first rounds. The teams that have done it (Dallas, Tampa, Boston), good for them.

Conor Timmins (91 games). AJ Greer (he was traded). Conor Timmins was traded for Kuemper.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Khusnutdinov showed up first and was in good standing with the organization. He also doesn’t play the same position as Firstov. He also has the backing of our superstar player; something Yurov also has.

Ohgren played in the AHL before getting called up. Rossi, a top 10 effing pick, played TWO seasons in the AHL.

Caedan Bankier didn’t get a shot in the NHL and he produced roughly the same as Firstov’s pace in the AHL. Lambos didn’t get a shot. Peart didn’t get a shot. O’Rourke didn’t get a shot. Where’s your outcry for these guys? Why is there only an outcry for this self centered entitled prick? Let’s hear it.

• Haha
Reactions: 57special

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Ohgren played in the AHL before getting called up. Rossi, a top 10 effing pick, played TWO seasons in the AHL.

Ohgren played 3 games (can't believe I forgot about that) and was a whopping -4 and got called up.

Rossi was a medical issue and I find that his staying in the AHL was more about conditioning and getting back into shape than just anything at all.

Caedan Bankier didn’t get a shot in the NHL and he produced roughly the same as Firstov’s pace in the AHL.

Bankier was injured for one thing and missed some time. Firstov also played in the KHL, which is equivalent to the AHL and produced pretty well there.

Lambos didn’t get a shot.

Because Lambos sucks? Like his skills are there, but his decision making is terrible.
Peart didn’t get a shot.

Peart should have gotten a shot if there was more injuries on defense.

O’Rourke didn’t get a shot. Where’s your outcry for these guys? Why is there only an outcry for this self centered entitled prick? Let’s hear it.

O'Rourke should have gotten a shot and I said I was disappointed that he didn't get a shot earlier this year.

I'd like to see if Firstov has any skills to make it to the NHL. He was showing progression in the KHL (he had more points and more goals than last year and was in the top 50 for goals scorers over there). I would have liked to see more of the older prospects like O'Rourke and Walker get more of a chance when the season was done. And I did voice concern about O'Rourke not getting a chance.

Some big names there.

Bennett did well and the Panthers used a 2nd round pick to get a better player. Jones and Cuylie are what O'Rourke and Hunt should be good. Good depth defensemen. Timmons brought in Kuemper. Also Greer ended up being a decent depth guy as well. No one is expecting world bangers out of our 2nd round picks, but guys that can contribute and be - just that. Depth players.

If Khusnutdinov ends up being a good middle 6 guy, that'd be great and in line with what they should be getting from their 2nd round pick...One of the best 2nd round picks for Minnesota was Marco Scandella - hell as much as I rail about Greenway, he was successful as well. Olofsson is another guy that I find was successful.

What I'm tired of is guys like Bussieres, Bulmer, Firstov, Lucia, and Jones. I'd also like to see us trade prospects that have some value to get players back that also have value.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Bennett did well and the Panthers used a 2nd round pick to get a better player. Jones and Cuylie are what O'Rourke and Hunt should be good. Good depth defensemen. Timmons brought in Kuemper. Also Greer ended up being a decent depth guy as well. No one is expecting world bangers out of our 2nd round picks, but guys that can contribute and be - just that. Depth players.

If Khusnutdinov ends up being a good middle 6 guy, that'd be great and in line with what they should be getting from their 2nd round pick...One of the best 2nd round picks for Minnesota was Marco Scandella - hell as much as I rail about Greenway, he was successful as well. Olofsson is another guy that I find was successful.

What I'm tired of is guys like Bussieres, Bulmer, Firstov, Lucia, and Jones. I'd also like to see us trade prospects that have some value to get players back that also have value.
Greenway in 2015, Zucker in 2011.

Both of those exceed what those 3 teams picked in the 2nd round over the years. What they did in trades with players they picked is a different discussion.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Ohgren played 3 games (can't believe I forgot about that) and was a whopping -4 and got called up.

Rossi was a medical issue and I find that his staying in the AHL was more about conditioning and getting back into shape than just anything at all.

Bankier was injured for one thing and missed some time. Firstov also played in the KHL, which is equivalent to the AHL and produced pretty well there.

Because Lambos sucks? Like his skills are there, but his decision making is terrible.

O'Rourke should have gotten a shot and I said I was disappointed that he didn't get a shot earlier this year.

I'd like to see if Firstov has any skills to make it to the NHL. He was showing progression in the KHL (he had more points and more goals than last year and was in the top 50 for goals scorers over there). I would have liked to see more of the older prospects like O'Rourke and Walker get more of a chance when the season was done. And I did voice concern about O'Rourke not getting a chance.

We have vastly different definitions of "pretty well" then. He averaged roughly .5ppg in the KHL, which I would define as average.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin

An awful lot of convenient excuse making here.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Khusnutdinov showed up first and was in good standing with the organization. He also doesn’t play the same position as Firstov. He also has the backing of our superstar player; something Yurov also has.

Caedan Bankier didn’t get a shot in the NHL and he produced roughly the same as Firstov’s pace in the AHL. Lambos didn’t get a shot. Peart didn’t get a shot. O’Rourke didn’t get a shot. Where’s your outcry for these guys? Why is there only an outcry for this self centered entitled prick? Let’s hear it.
:laugh::laugh:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Remember when we were begging for offensive help going into the playoffs in 2020-21 and Boldy still had to go to Iowa that year? Guerin has always had some degree of treating his guys better than guys he didn't bring in. Maybe that's normal for GM's and coaches to do around the league, but we don't need to pretend it's not happening then.

Firstov wasn't Guerin's guy in the first place, and then Guerin supposedly got pissed when Firstov decided he'd rather develop in the KHL (and who could blame him). Same thing happened with Menell. It's clearly a pride/control issue for Guerin, he doesn't like when guys don't want to take the route he wants them to take.

Maybe Firstov is a bust and spends his entire career in Russia, and it doesn't actually matter, but I've seen enough of Guerin to know he's a proud and arrogant man, and that it influences his decision making.
This is agenda fitting. The team’s best players are mostly not Guerin guys: Kap, Ek, Boldy, Zucc, Hartman, Foligno, Brodin, Spurgeon, etc.

Who exactly, in the drafts leading up to Guerin’s hire, didn’t get a fair shake or was snubbed more so than guys like Hunt, O’Rourke, Bankier, etc?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Greenway in 2015, Zucker in 2011.

Both of those exceed what those 3 teams picked in the 2nd round over the years. What they did in trades with players they picked is a different discussion.
I think that's part of the overall discussion though; those second round picks helped create the team in a tangent way. They were part of a trade that brought in talented players because the teams they were traded to thought they had some talent.

We have vastly different definitions of "pretty well" then. He averaged roughly .5ppg in the KHL, which I would define as average.

For a 22 year old in the KHL? That's pretty good for a young player. He was also 3rd on his team in goal scoring.

Found it; in terms of goals, Firstov is tied for 14th overall in KHL history for goals scored by a 22 year old, and 16th for points. PPG is a bit low since he's played a lot, but top 50 there as well. Not for nothing for a young kid in a veteran filled KHL.

An awful lot of convenient excuse making here.

Like what? Bankier was injured, it was his first season in a professional league. Lambos just doesn't cut it. And Rossi had a serious medical condition that impacted his game play. They TRIED to put him on the team last year and he flat out sucked.

I've been critical of both O'Rourke and the Wild. With the injuries and the play of the bottom guys, I have brought up why they haven't brought him up as he should be better than Merrill and Goligoski.

All in all, it's not a big deal that Firstov isn't here, but it's another wasted pick by the Wild.

Last edited:

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
This is agenda fitting. The team’s best players are mostly not Guerin guys: Kap, Ek, Boldy, Zucc, Hartman, Foligno, Brodin, Spurgeon, etc.

Who exactly, in the drafts leading up to Guerin’s hire, didn’t get a fair shake or was snubbed more so than guys like Hunt, O’Rourke, Bankier, etc?

I gave you several examples of what I was talking about, and I think you just don't understand, and that's okay, but whatever your response is trying to bait me into isn't what I was talking about.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Like what? Bankier was injured, it was his first season in a professional league. Lambos just doesn't cut it. And Rossi had a serious medical condition that impacted his game play. They TRIED to put him on the team last year and he flat out sucked.

I've been critical of both O'Rourke and the Wild. With the injuries and the play of the bottom guys, I have brought up why they haven't brought him up as he should be better than Merrill and Goligoski.

All in all, it's not a big deal that Firstov isn't here, but it's another wasted pick by the Wild.
The Wild wanted him HERE last year. This is nobody’s fault but Firstov’s.

Imagine going into a new job and in the second week you give your employer the middle finger to go somewhere across the world to do the same thing (and be mediocre at it). Then coming back a year later, still being mediocre, and expecting a higher level position.

The issue isn’t going to Russia. The issue is giving your employer the middle finger.

I gave you several examples of what I was talking about, and I think you just don't understand, and that's okay, but whatever your response is trying to bait me into isn't what I was talking about.
It’s okay. You have some unnecessary reason to defend Firstov and blame Guerin for him not sticking. Reality is the opposite, but you do you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad