Why is Tortorella not popular amongst fans?

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Define "toxic". Babcock is toxic, Tortorella isn't.

I have a huge problem with anyone yelling at anybody, especially when they have any form of authority.

Tortorella seems to think yelling = motivating. I disagree.

Time to move on from the dinosaurs.

Reactions: Holocene

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Torts is hilarious but let's be real, he is a sarcastic loudmouth and that is bound to rub a lot of people the wrong way, especially in hockey where no one is supposed to have a personality

Or, to put it more diplomatically, he can come across as an "attention seeker" when it's supposed to be about the team, instead of the individual

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
He just has a boring schtick of being rude and having tantrums with reporters trying to do their job. At least Sutter would have funny quips.

He's just not entertaining or insightful.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Fair, but how would you motivate someone like PLD?

No idea but I don't think yelling is the answer. Some people like Kessler can take it and some even thrive under this kind of abuse but it shouldn't be normalized.

Reactions: King'sPawn

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
We won't ever see anything like this again. :laugh:

cropped_tortorella.gif

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
By all accounts he sounds like a pretty good guy away from the rink but even among NHL coaches he's got a massive ego and seems to base a lot of his public statements on if he thinks it makes him look tough or cool.

People sometimes argue there's a method to his madness. That he's drawing attention to himself to keep it away from his team, but he's made an ass of himself no matter what's going on with his team.

Also his stint in Vancouver when he was mailing it in from the US was pretty hilarious.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Why would Flyers fans want their record to be better?

He seems to drive the line or bubble team for all his teams which sometimes was underpreforming, like the Rangers. But sometimes, bizarre when the team is getting no 5 year plan future out of squeezing the rocks. Like now or late in CbJ

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He seemed like an asshole just from watching his behavior and mannerisms on the bench. Then he got a TV job and started talking, and boy oh boy did he not help his case. He really showed his ass with a lot of dinosaur takes that make him look like an out of touch fool.

Spending a year listening to him talk about how "Barkov is better than McDavid because faceoffs" was the most unbearable thing I've had to listen to, at least in terms of mainstream American hockey coverage.
I feel like TV jobs aren't the best representation though. It felt like his job was to be the contrarian. I remember his comments about Zegras didn't even feel particularly genuine but somebody had to be on there to complain about the "showboating" I guess.

Reactions: koteka

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Great coach. As a CBJ fan, appreciated his time here in Columbus. Not to say he doesn't have personality warts. Post game interviews were not the best. Like everything else in life there is good and bad..

But as soon as he was replaced with a easy-going player coach the results went back to crap.. speaks volumes to his coaching style/methods.

Reactions: thebus88

TomBlizzy12

Girardi For Norris
Dec 15, 2022
As a rangers fan, the "get 2 goals, block every shot possible, and pray Lundqvist stands on his head" strategy got old way too fast.

Reactions: Holocene

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not a fan of these egomaniac "system" coaches. What it really comes down to with guys like this is that any success needs to be fully attributed to "them" and "their" system. They don't want any player to be the star, they want to be the star.

As far as "marketing" goes, it seems to work, people still talk about the 2004 Lightning Cup and heap praise onto Torts for it almost 20 years later, when he's had almost two decades of mediocre results following it. I don't think there's another coach in the League that has gotten that sort of mileage out of something that long ago.

Reactions: BrokenFace

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
In the media he comes across as someone who over compensates for being a small man by using a big mouth. I am sure internally he is a just a hard coach that is fair with his players as long as they stick to the program.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Strong disagree with the last part, particularly with the part of his career I’m most familiar with.

If you're a Tampa fan, then you're familiar with the successful times that he's still living off of.

He isn't a bad coach by any stretch of the imagination. In 2003, he was a really damn good one. In 2023, he's an average one with a big ego and shtick.

Reactions: SnS

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Torts seems to have all these rules about putting the team above the individual player, which is understandable, but at the same time the guy loves the spotlight more than any coach I know of. If any of his players had made headlines the way Torts himself does, Torts would bench them. Other than that, it seems like he's been coasting off of the cup win for a long time now.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
The question is about fans, not players, though. For instance, every one of Nate Thompson's teammates would probably tell you he was an A1 teammate they liked playing with. That doesn't mean fans liked watching him play, though.
Yeah good point. I guess I’ll change my answer to I’m not really sure lol

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
I love Torts. Love the way he treats the media with absolute contempt. Love the fire and passion he brings to the game. If he was my coach I would go through a wall for him. As far as I am concerned we need more personalities like Torts, not less.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
He's a no nonsense tell it like it is guy who has a "old-school" philosophy when it comes to coaching and player utilization. I personally like and respect the guy but he isn't really a friendly personality

larek

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I have a huge problem with anyone yelling at anybody, especially when they have any form of authority.

Tortorella seems to think yelling = motivating. I disagree.

Time to move on from the dinosaurs.
Like him good coach !!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad