Why is Tortorella not popular amongst fans?

Ceremony

How I choose to feel is how I am
Jun 8, 2012
As a regular reader of the Flyers board I find this thread and the responses quite funny.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I can't speak to how the players felt about him beyond what was reported in the media, that players such as Cam Atkinson specifically asked him to come back for his final season of contract with Columbus when he himself wanted to quit. But I also worked for the Blue Jackets (not in hockey ops, but I was in the arena every day in the same hallways) for the entire length of his tenure and he was truly a lovely man to interact with in the building just as a random staffer.

Yes, his schtick eventually gets old. I can see it being abrasive for some personalities. But you can't argue that he gets results from his teams--taking some bad teams and making them into playoff teams over the last decade should tell you that, even if he wasn't winning Cups because the talent just wasn't there in front of him. He'd go to war FOR his players, and he does. He just expects the same relentless dedication and hard work from them.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I can't speak for others. But I feel Torts is a good coach, but he's also a dinosaur. I don't like the old hard-a** types. And I'm not surprised that players tire of the guy. I wouldn't hire him, or want to play for him.

I'm glad he's in the league, though, because he's entertaining. He gives a great interview, and keeps things interesting.

Reactions: AzHawk and Hoek

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
He seemed like an asshole just from watching his behavior and mannerisms on the bench. Then he got a TV job and started talking, and boy oh boy did he not help his case. He really showed his ass with a lot of dinosaur takes that make him look like an out of touch fool.

Spending a year listening to him talk about how "Barkov is better than McDavid because faceoffs" was the most unbearable thing I've had to listen to, at least in terms of mainstream American hockey coverage.

Reactions: AzHawk and banks

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Toxic boss who can make you great or good pal with who you will always be mediocre? Tough choice...

Ohhh I like this game!

Toxic boss who can make you great or a rhinoceros? Tough choice...

Look Up

Rev up your .....batteries?
Oct 3, 2013
He has a different style than most other coaches, and because of this some people can't stand him. NHL needs more personality, and Tortorella definitely makes things interesting.

Reactions: deleted user

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
I'm pretty sure there was this exact same thread here a year ago, when the Flyers had a half decent start to the season. They immediately lost 10 games in a row after that of course.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoek

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Oh, another aggravating thing about Torts is that he's such a predictably boring coach.

Last night the Flyers took play to Vegas early and were rewarded with a 2-1 lead after the first. Second period they played to a low-event stalemate with a very laid back 2-1-2 approach.

Third period, they almost went full Guy Boucher 1-3-1, and defaulted to collapsing heavily in their own zone to block shots. They generared little to no third period offense, ceded the lead. They then lost in the final minute as a shot through traffic snuck past a triple-screened Hart because all the bodies they threw in front of him. Along the way, Brink, Atkinson, and Konecny all limped back to the bench after blocking slapshots.

I'm all for trying to WIN games, even as a rebuilder, but to do so I'd rather see youngsters like Brink deployed to try to add insurance to the 1-goal lead, rather than watch him sacrifice his shins to Shea Theodore clappers.

Torts plays for OT. I did the count and I forget the exact number, but something like 40 of his previous 200 games coached before this season ended as an OT/SO loss. As a fan, there's nothing less interesting than watching a team desperately play for an OT loss for a full fifth of the season--particularly when the team is a rebuilder and those meaningless points are just pushing them out of the lottery while.

Last season, he went even further: In OT, he was playing 1F and 2D--so, trying to play entirely for the SO. They went something like 1-8 or 1-9 in OT doing that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Curufinwe and SnS

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
He seems to be a bit of a d-bag.

But mainly, I don't think his results are really all that impressive in the last 19 years. He's able to keep getting work, but I wouldn't put him in the top half of the coaches in the league.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Oh, another aggravating thing about Torts is that he's such a predictably boring coach.

Last night the Flyers took play to Vegas early and were rewarded with a 2-1 lead after the first. Second period they played to a low-event stalemate with a very laid back 2-1-2 approach.

Third period, they went full Guy Boucher 1-3-1, and defaulted to collapsing heavily in their own zone to block shots. They generared little to no third period offense, ceded the lead. They then lost in the final minute as a shot through traffic snuck past a triple-screened Hart because all the bodies they threw in front of him. Along the way, Brink, Atkinson, and Konecny all limped back to the bench after blocking slapshots.

I'm all for trying to WIN games, even as a rebuilder, but to do so I'd rather see youngsters like Brink deployed to try to add insurance to the 1-goal lead, rather than watch him sacrifice his shins to Shea Theodore clappers.

Torts plays for OT. I did the count and I forget the exact number, but something like 40 of his previous 200 games coached before this season ended as an OT/SO loss. As a fan, there's nothing less interesting than watching a team desperately play for an OT loss for a full fifth of the season--particularly when the team is a rebuilder and those meaningless points are just pushing them out of the lottery while.

Last season, he went even further: In OT, he was playing 1F and 2D--so, trying to play entirely for the SO. They went something like 1-8 or 1-9 in OT doing that.
Which is crazy considering he was the whole “safe is death” guy in Tampa.

Reactions: Hoek

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Which is crazy considering he was the whole “safe is death” guy in Tampa.

I mean, that's his mantra here too. And explaining his lineup decisions as "accountability/earning your icetime" when it's really just the same favoritism and preference every coach deploys.

He's a huckster. He sells a bunch of mantras that he doesn't actually stick to in his work.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
Because most fans don’t know anything. 9/10 players that go on Spittin Chiclets that use to play for Torts say he was a hard ass, pissed them off and they would run through a wall for him.

Rich Nixon

Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Because most fans don’t know anything. 9/10 players that go on Spittin Chiclets that use to play for Torts say he was a hard ass, pissed them off and they would run through a wall for him.

The question is about fans, not players, though. For instance, every one of Nate Thompson's teammates would probably tell you he was an A1 teammate they liked playing with. That doesn't mean fans liked watching him play, though.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
I mean, that's his mantra here too. And explaining his lineup decisions as "accountability/earning your icetime" when it's really just the same favoritism and preference every coach deploys.

He's a huckster. He sells a bunch of mantras that he doesn't actually stick to in his work.
Strong disagree with the last part, particularly with the part of his career I’m most familiar with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad