Why is it inconceivable for Matthews to be McDavid's equal?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
You can have 14 mil McDavid, I'll just stick 4.5 mil Kadri on him to shut him down nightly.

giphy.gif

McDavid has 7 points in 3 games vs the Leafs

giphy.gif

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Penner was good on the oilers tho. His best season was his 30 and 30 in edmonton . Idk who his center was tbh horcoff maybe? but I guess you could maybe credit hemsky?

Idk but he played one full season with Getzlaf and put up 45 points next year with edmonton he put up 47 next year he dropped to 30 something then went to 60 something the year after that so I wouldn't credit getz

I don't think Penner even gets the contract he does without playing with Getzlaf in his rookie season. He basically stepped out of College/AHL hockey to score 29 goals in his 1st full season and also won the cup. Had he stayed with Getzlaf there is no telling how many goals he could have put up?

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
On the radio this morning Dave Poulin said both players look like they're generational. Close thread.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I am a Vancouver fan. I hate both the Oilers and Leafs equally.

McDavid is without the doubt the better player here.

Why Leaf fans even bother comparing is stupid.

Matthews is good. We get it. Now let's all flaunt our biases elsewhere.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
But he just scored 40 goals as a 18 year old rookie how often does that happen

You can't compare Brett Hull to Wayne Gretzky. Plus, whose to say he doesn't take a step back next year? Could happen ,a lot of players do. Most thought Mackinnon was going to be a superstar in his second year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
12.5M for Matthews, perhaps more on account for him having to put up with the Leafs' rabid fan base. Nobody would blame him.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
Maybe just maybe, they're in the same tier. But ofcourse the true leader, top of the podium, needs to be recognized. I enjoy watching both. I don't think this is a topic of conversation between leafs faithful. When a ducks fan stirs the pot though, it's a feeding frenzy.

TheBarnIsElectric

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2010
The leafs are the greatest franchise in the history of sports and all their players are the best in the world.

McDavidCrushedLarkin

Jun 12, 2016
Do you know what the term "high danger scoring chance" means? It means they were evaluated to be very good chances through analytics. By definition the chances were as good as I thought. And trust me, the eye test confirmed it. I'm not going to get into comparing Zach Hyman to a first overall talent, bust or not, because it's ridiculous.

It doesn't matter what a player was drafted if they still busted derp. Hyman still has a career in the NHL and Yakupov's NHL days are likely done. Yet McDavid made Yakupov look amazing for a time, and he was the only player to do it. Sorry Matthews can't do that for garbage players.

I'd question your management and coaching if Hyman is such a boat anchor as you'd have us believe rather than possibly defensive help for Matthews.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
That Toronto fishbowl/undesirable premium. Whether it's the NBA, NHL or MLB, players simply don't sign in Toronto for anything less than the market rate and often do-so far above it.

NBA: Lowry resigned a deal that paid him only 12 mill a year the last few years when his production warranted over 20 mill a year.

MLB: no cap, players go to the highest bidder, yet Bautista signed his 5 year deal well below what 40+ HR hitters were being paid.

NHL: Kadri just signed a deal that only pays him 4.5 a year when he could easily be making 6 mill a year when you have bum ass players like RNH making 6 mill a year.

So please don't act like good players have never taken a discount in Toronto. You don't know anything about Toronto obviously, your not in that calibre.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I am a Vancouver fan. I hate both the Oilers and Leafs equally.

McDavid is without the doubt the better player here.

Why Leaf fans even bother comparing is stupid.

Matthews is good. We get it. Now let's all flaunt our biases elsewhere.

No one is saying McDavid isn't the better player it's this facade that he is in his own personal tier that agitates everyone.

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I don't think Penner even gets the contract he does without playing with Getzlaf in his rookie season. He basically stepped out of College/AHL hockey to score 29 goals in his 1st full season and also won the cup. Had he stayed with Getzlaf there is no telling how many goals he could have put up?
Yeah but he put up more points the year after with a much worse center. The rest of the guys you listed played worse away from the guy you're saying carried them. Penner put up more points away from Getz (sophmore or 3rd season depending if you count his under 20 game season ) and had his career year in edmonton at year 4 or 5 again depending on the under 20 game first season

Last edited:

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Sure, you get Nylander about half time. But the first half of the year is the Nylander who was in Babcock's doghouse bouncing around checking lines and getting only spot starts with Matthews. Good luck building any momentum there. The other 50% of the time.you get Connor Brown, a third line rookie winger. Hyman you get 100% of the time, with offensive tools that would be considered middling in the AHL.

Who did mcdavid get his first year maroon who was tossed from the ducks for nothing with salary retained and ...... Yakupov? So pretty much 2 worthless players at the time. Brown seems to seem like he has some trade value but maybe that's cuz he's a leaf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad