Why is Charles Barkley commentating on hockey?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barkkonen

May 10, 2011
cb-charles-barkley.gif
he is twice the man he used to be

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Those intermission panels are typically boring as heck so that adds some flavor to it
I would argue that the intermission panels suck because they spend too much time trying to add 'flavor' vs just talking intelligently about hockey like they're capable of

Reactions: DaveG

Herregud

Feb 7, 2010
Washington, DC
I would argue that the intermission panels suck because they spend too much time trying to add 'flavor' vs just talking intelligently about hockey like they're capable of
There are specific resources for sports nerdism, but I can assure you that the NHL would die the fastest death if the panels consisted entirely of hockey-brained eggheads. Most people would turn that shit off and never return to watching the game because they got distracted by whatever they did to get away from it.

The world runs on casuals.

Reactions: AzHawk

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois

The difference is that, frankly unlike most hockey players and talking heads, Barkley actually has a personality and entertaining things to say. I agree that some numbskull trying to inject their forced persona into the conversations during the intermissions comes off as pretty inane, but Barkley is the real deal and is an entertaining guy to watch talk even when he’s (often) talking nonsense.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
One of the biggest and most universally loved personalities of all time from another sport, as both a player and broadcaster, just so happens to be a huge hockey fan. Why wouldn't the NHL want to have him in the booth at intermission? Guy's been a hockey fan longer than most of the people on this board have and he's frequently promoted the sport on NBA panels.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He's helping grow the game in the sun belt, he can reach audiences all the way from Atlanta to San Antonio.

Reactions: VivaLasVegas
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad