Speculation: Why Has Trouba Not Signed Yet?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
ya there is a weird obsession with Trouba's situation. Unsure why so

Gaudreau.
Monahan
Ristolainen
Lindholm
Ceci
Dumba

Plenty of players to worry about, but everyone worries about Trouba. He must be underrated or something. I had no idea he was so popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ive always said the same thing too... he should be getting around(give or take a tiny bit) what he signed for... If hes demanding way more than him, his agent is out to lunch... if Jets are offering way less, then they are crazy

Who knows though, maybe there negotiations are in fact only a few hundred thousand difference per year and that's what is holding this up.. both sides refusing to budge

Chevy is known for grinding out negotiations. So is Trouba's agent. Chevy believes it's a deadline driven business. The next deadline is the start of the World Cup. I won't be surprised if it goes until then. I think the Jets will want a 7 or 8 year term and might be willing to slide up closer to $6M AAV to get it.

Pestilence

Jan 17, 2016
Köklax, Finland
Why aren't:

Stone, Gaudreau, Ristolainen, Monahan, Nichushkin, Lindholm, Dumba, Corrado, etc.

signed yet?

Pretty obvious:

Stone wants out of Arizona
Gaudreau wants out of Calgary
Ristolainen wants out of Buffalo
Monahan wants out of Calgary as well
Nichushkin wants out of Dallas (duh)
Dumba wants out of Minnesota
Corrado wants out of Toronto, just like Matthews, who isn't signed yet either.

So why hasn't Trouba signed yet? Tough one, but I heard a Twitter rumour that he wants out of Winnipeg. :amazed:

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Hes probably been leaving weird breathing or silence messages on Reilly's and Jones phones for making things harder.
Overcharge will keep going though

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
Why Trouba? Completely different situation.

Because they both want out.

Pretty obvious:

Stone wants out of Arizona
Gaudreau wants out of Calgary
Ristolainen wants out of Buffalo
Monahan wants out of Calgary as well
Nichushkin wants out of Dallas (duh)
Dumba wants out of Minnesota
Corrado wants out of Toronto, just like Matthews, who isn't signed yet either.

So why hasn't Trouba signed yet? Tough one, but I heard a Twitter rumour that he wants out of Winnipeg. :amazed:

See this guy gets it.

I hate to repeat myself but a statement that is commonly used on HF is appropriate in all these cases "if they were going to sign they would have done so by now".

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Just curious why Trouba has not been signed yet by Winnipeg? Does he want to be traded, or are the Jets on an internal budget and can't afford him?

Sigh. It is perfectly normal for some RFA negotiations to go well past mid July. Kurt Overhardt is known as an agent who will take negotiations as far as possible. I don't expect Trouba to sign until just before the WCOH.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Chevy is known for grinding out negotiations. So is Trouba's agent. Chevy believes it's a deadline driven business. The next deadline is the start of the World Cup. I won't be surprised if it goes until then. I think the Jets will want a 7 or 8 year term and might be willing to slide up closer to $6M AAV to get it.

IMO the Jets want no where near 6 mill per, and I think they are correct in thinking that way. Trouba is not better than Reilly and Jones and I think the Jets agree.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
If they were going to sign they would have signed by now.

Which totally explains other players who sign contracts well after mid-July.

Except it doesn't explain those situations at all. You are speaking as if you have inside information when you do not, so perhaps add some language that shows you are speculating such as "I think" or "if I had to guess." Just a thought.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
IMO the Jets want no where near 6 mill per, and I think they are correct in thinking that way. Trouba is not better than Reilly and Jones and I think the Jets agree.

They'll pay extra to get a couple more years of term. If they stick with six years, then the AAV will be between Rielly and Jones, I would think.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Except it doesn't explain those situations at all. You are speaking as if you have inside information when you do not, so perhaps add some language that shows you are speculating such as "I think" or "if I had to guess." Just a thought.

He might need some sarcasm smilies. Otherwise, it's just being provocative.

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

If the Jets want 7 or 8 years they will be paying more than Rielly and Jones got, as they will be buying up more UFA years. Rielly and Jones only sold two UFA years

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009

If talent were the only factor in contract negotiations you would have a point, but if that were the case then Toews wouldn't make as much as Kane and neither would make more than Crosby or Ovechkin. You named some comparable players, but that is only part of the equation.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
If the Jets want 7 or 8 years they will be paying more than Rielly and Jones got, as they will be buying up more UFA years. Rielly and Jones only sold two UFA years

So that flirts with Schiefs deal , can't put my finger on it but just a bit nervous of going 7-8 years with
Trouba. I personally just wouldn't commit 50 mill to Trouba yet.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

How exactly did you get from that post that I was claiming to have insider information? Do I really need to add "I think" when it is fairly obvious it is just an opinion?

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Feb 23, 2014
It would look bad if Jets allowed Trouba to pull a daylight robbery after Scheifele just signed a very team-friendly 8-year paper.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
He wants out of Winnipeg which is why he is asking for more money from them in the hopes that they will trade him.

There is nothing to indicate any of that is true. The entire Trouba thing is based on one story by an uninformed idiot Winnipeg sportswriter which was debunked months ago. Having escaped to the interweb it refuses to die but there is really nothing to it.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
My guess is he will sign with the Jets. As a RFA, he is just looking for a good gap contract or a term one that both teams can live with. He's a key piece that should have his best years coming up as soon as next season.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It's not smoke and mirrors.

Trouba and the others didn't go to arbitration and didn't sign their QOs.

They aren't getting moved by dragging out RFA contract talks.

And Risto is talking a long term deal with the Sabres. It's just taking a while to hammer out.

They don't all have arbitration rights.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Because they both want out.

See this guy gets it.

I hate to repeat myself but a statement that is commonly used on HF is appropriate in all these cases "if they were going to sign they would have done so by now".

That is just complete nonsense. Negotiation takes time, especially when neither side is under any pressure. Each is trying to squeeze ever last dollar. It will happen when the pressure mounts.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
What's the word Trouba's agent is asking for? 6+ mil per?

Senators board is talking about Ceci getting ~20 million over 5 years as decent, any above being overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad