Why do the Buffalo Sabres (always) keep sucking.. no matter what..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
They always suck because Pegula hires yes men instead of coaches and managers with experience.
1700073442923.png

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Complete neglect of duty on the part of Kevyn Adams to not acquire a goalie.

Sabres are sitting on an embarrassment of riches, particularly with young forwards in their pipeline.

The assets were there to trade for an upgrade, but instead he made the horrific decision to run with UPL, Levi and Comrie.

He's done a lot of good for that team, but I'd be furious if I were a Sabres fan at him right now.
I generally agree that Adams has been too hands-off with his approach to making moves, and putting all their eggs in the Devon Levi basket was a terrible decision.

But, like, a third of the league could use a goalie. Including some major contenders. There just isn't enough goalie talent to go around and none of these potential buyers seem to think it's worth the price the sellers are asking for.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Is this why Boston and colorado are such terrible teams and Arizona and SJ have such a rich history of success? Because of the weather?

These are the shit arguments that get tossed. I found the exception in Arizona. there for non of it is true.

Boston is a big city franchise on the eastern sea board that isn't likely to be on a single players NTC. That one doesn't work bud.

Tell you what would be interesting though. Seeing the occurrences of franchises on NTC. If we get a hold of that data and for some reason Tampa is really common and Winnipeg isn't. Perhaps there's something to be said. My guess is you'll find Canada and Northern USA littered in there. And as soon as Arizona gains any traction... they'll start falling off that list.

Point out an exception does not mean the norm doesn't exist.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
These are the shit arguments that get tossed. I found the exception in Arizona. there for non of it is true.

Boston is a big city franchise on the eastern sea board that isn't likely to be on a single players NTC. That one doesn't work bud.

Tell you what would be interesting though. Seeing the occurrences of franchises on NTC. If we get a hold of that data and for some reason Tampa is really common and Winnipeg isn't. Perhaps there's something to be said. My guess is you'll find Canada and Northern USA littered in there. And as soon as Arizona gains any traction... they'll start falling off that list.

It's easy to make your narrative sing to your tune when you just find excuses to throw away all the outliers.

The Sabres are having a great year as long as we throw out those 8 losses.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
all this takes time, that’s not a fun answer, but it does. They’ve shown flashes in recent seasons that they have it in them to get to the next level, they just need the experience and the consistency.

For what seemed like forever the Panthers seemed to be right on the cusp of being a strong team, but kept falling short. Zito came in and brought in Horny and Gudas to help change the team’s identity and culture. He wasn’t afraid to move out young guys, get some deadweight off the team, and bring in guys who needed a shot. It’s worked.

Yes it takes time but It's already been 12 years, and it looks like It's going to be 13.

Now it IS time and has been for about 7 years

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
We overperformed the last two seasons. Granato is not a magician and they have to take a step back at some point.
We lost our best goalie (Anderson) and replaced him with a kid.
Talked about Power getting a veteran partner yet again (gave him Jokiharju).
On top of that we are pretty much a full line short when it comes to NHL forwards.
My guess is that Adams is waiting on prospects making the team, this season is a another punt.

Is this real life? So you lost 42 year old Craig Anderson and his 902 SV% and that remotely explains the shitty season they're having...?

• Haha
Reactions: DJN21 and toddkaz

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Short sample size (7 games I've watched this year) but from what I've seen it's because they either lack consistency or they don't play enough of a two-way game. They have the talent, but like the Canucks of yesteryear, they refuse to commit to team defense. Too many high danger chances against, not enough of a commitment to the gritty defensive aspects and most of their top talent don't do much transitionally on the backcheck.

Coaching would fix a lot but it's tough to find good coaches. They should be a playoff team (lower seed).

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Still one of the easiest teams in the league to play against. Their big guys are soft and they don’t have a defensive identity yet. Plus HF and hockey Twitter etc love prospects so teams stacked with young guys often arrive a year or two late, if they arrive at all

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

cc

Feb 28, 2002
I don't understand the thought process behind putting unproven/inexperienced goaltending in net and thinking this was a good recipe for success.

As an organization, they appear to me to be impatient and knee-jerk at times with some of the moves they make. At least they haven't routinely pissed away draft picks and futures like some GMs

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
We have to understand that NHL players aren't your average Joe. They're for the most part.. Stinking rich. If I was stinking rich.. what would I want to be doing in Canada, Buffalo, Minnesota in the winter? When there's tax Free warm sunny Tampa... Vegas. California etc.

Tax free California? :huh:

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Tax free California? :huh:

The players still line up to play there.
Do you think San Jose stays on players no trade lists as soon as they commit and show life after coming out of a rebuild? How many players have L.A on their NTC?

Hell I bet Ottawa is on more teams ntc than Anaheim. I also won't be surprised to see Anaheim come back into contention before Ottawa. Time will tell. Posters here will all praise Anaheim's management. Then dis on Ottawa's. Never once thinking that Anaheim is at a MASSIVE advantage for signing and keeping players. Even if Ottawa measure's some success before Anaheim I'd also doubt it will sustain it as long as well. History shows Canadian franchises don't tend to carry success like their American counterparts. Well compared to the big city, sunny ones. The cold northern ones share the same fate. Buffalo being one. Minnesota being another.

But this is a hockey board where fans only know how to twist shit in their favor to make their franchise seem superior. Ignoring the extra year or million dollars more on the contracts some franchises have to dish out.

Reactions: sawchuk1971

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They are the New York Jets of hockey.
As a Jets fan, this hurt.
Complete neglect of duty on the part of Kevyn Adams to not acquire a goalie.

Sabres are sitting on an embarrassment of riches, particularly with young forwards in their pipeline.

The assets were there to trade for an upgrade, but instead he made the horrific decision to run with UPL, Levi and Comrie.

He's done a lot of good for that team, but I'd be furious if I were a Sabres fan at him right now.
They might have to play one of Ostlund, Kulich, Savoie, Benson, Rosen at defense at this point.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
It's easy to make your narrative sing to your tune when you just find excuses to throw away all the outliers.

The Sabres are having a great year as long as we throw out those 8 losses.

All you want to look at is the outliers. I've found 1 exception to the rule! therefore i deem it not true!

32 years with no cup in Canada and you're trying to tell me it's all about shitty management? Buffalo? Minnesota?

But because Arizona doesn't win it's all a bunch of bull shit and just happenstance.
You're the one with a narrative bud.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
All you want to look at is the outliers. I've found 1 exception to the rule! therefore i deem it not true!

32 years with no cup in Canada and you're trying to tell me it's all about shitty management? Buffalo? Minnesota?

But because Arizona doesn't win it's all a bunch of bull shit and just happenstance.
You're the one with a narrative bud.
Pittsburgh is cold, Detroit is cold, Philly is cold, Montreal is cold, none of these teams have problems getting or retaining talent and all have won championships. Or are we considering philly, pittsburgh and detroit "world class cities"? San Jose, Arizona, Florida Panthers, are all in warm climates have never won anything. Keep saying one exception.

I am not the one ignoring data here, you are.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA

You realize this would go for all major sports and not just the NHL right. Your claim is a joke especially when you factor in all of professional sports

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
They are not sucking.... they are literally one point away from the playoffs.

I'd call this a timid start to the year, but they'll get better as time goes on. It sucks that Thompson just got injured, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad