Why do the Buffalo Sabres (always) keep sucking.. no matter what..

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
At some point, you need to call a spade, a spade. And this team, no matter how many promising prospects it has, is perpetually mediocre and they look like the Coyotes of the East.
And you don't think having 7 different coaches the past ten years and having 4 different GMs, each with their own plan and trying to constantly start over and go in different directions could be the issue?

I honestly do not know what your comment is implying.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
The real question is why do we get so many "Buffalo and Ottawa will make the playoffs" threads in the offseason.

Reactions: Holocene

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
They traded away Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and Montour in the past 2 seasons. Put those players back on the Sabres and they're cup contenders.
Didn't they, like, suck worse with those guys?

Buffalo is a .500 team 15 games in. It's not the end of the world, there's a whole crapload of mediocre teams right now in the east and they're right in that mix. They have a lot of good players but also a lot of young players so it'll take time. They need to at least be competing for a wild card deep into this season though.
They can score goals but they need to learn to defend better/get better goaltending.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
The real question is why do we get so many "Buffalo and Ottawa will make the playoffs" threads in the offseason.
Because third party fans like to stir the pot. Buffalo fans haven't started threads like that in a decade. We are either overly cautious or just plain broken due to the last 12 years. I won't be comfortable that they will make the playoffs until it is locked in. I don't care if they have a good streak or month or whatever, been burned too many times getting my hopes up.

Didn't they, like, suck worse with those guys?

Buffalo is a .500 team 15 games in. It's not the end of the world, there's a whole crapload of mediocre teams right now in the east and they're right in that mix. They have a lot of good players but also a lot of young players so it'll take time. They need to at least be competing for a wild card deep into this season though.
They can score goals but they need to learn to defend better/get better goaltending.
We can't score right now, Quinn, Tage, and Tuch are all injured.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Complete neglect of duty on the part of Kevyn Adams to not acquire a goalie.

Sabres are sitting on an embarrassment of riches, particularly with young forwards in their pipeline.

The assets were there to trade for an upgrade, but instead he made the horrific decision to run with UPL, Levi and Comrie.

He's done a lot of good for that team, but I'd be furious if I were a Sabres fan at him right now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Because neckbeards on this site continually vastly overestimate their prospect pool, how it will translate to the best league in the world.
Which young player is exactly playing poorly in Buffalo so far? That's not the problem, obviously.

Steddy33

Jan 7, 2012
Granato is not a good coach. They absolutely have no structure. They can get away with that against teams that don’t have a lot of talent. When they run into a better team they usually are exposed.
This and the GM doesn't look like he is trying to win now. They needed a veteran goalie. And they needed a veteran D that could play. Johnson has been fine. Clifton is pure trash

Krebs sucked last year too. Don't think many were expecting much, if anything from him.

Cozens is a good 2C on a good deal, Bit of a slow start, but he'll be fine overall.
Cozens has been their worst player to begin the season. Looks like he spent the offseason huffing his own farts

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Which young player is exactly playing poorly in Buffalo so far? That's not the problem, obviously.

Cozens, Krebs

Levi is being forced into a miserable situation that's not doing him any favors now, or moving forward.

Do you want me to go over their past busts as well? This isn't something that started this year, or last for that matter. Alex Nylander was the superior Nylander back in the day, so I was told.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Cozens, Krebs

Levi is being forced into a miserable situation that's not doing him any favors now, or moving forward.

Do you want me to go over their past busts as well? This isn't something that started this year, or last for that matter. Alex Nylander was the superior Nylander back in the day, so I was told.
Yah, Cozens isn't a bust. 8 points in 14 games is hardly some indigent indication that he sucks.

All their young players who play big roles are playing pretty well.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Yah, Cozens isn't a bust. 8 points in 14 games is hardly some indigent indication that he sucks.

You asked for players playing poorly relative to expectations, I answered your question with Dylan Cozens, who has played well beneath expectations so far this season. I also added Krebs who was a fairly highly touted prospect quite recently, as well as their projected starting goaltender to begin the season. Can we not resort to lazy strawmans? They don't help to advance any type of discussion.

Levi was expected to be their starting goaltender, I would say that's a pretty "big role", evidently you feel otherwise.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Okay, but not like Krebs was someone anyone was hyping up. 4th line mins, irrelevant player really.

And Cozens is fine.

Cozens won't bust, but he has been flat out bad this year. Pretty much the only thing the entire Sabres board, who watch all the Sabres games, can agree upon is that he has been flat bad. He won't bust, but the lack of production out of our 2nd line has been killing the team. The numbers show both our goaltending and our D have improved, but we have no consistency when it comes to offense now. The biggest problem is our 2nd line and that's on Cozens.

He will be fine, but to say he IS fine, is false.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Honestly I think there's more to be said about how an organizations runs it's operations than anyone hear gives credit to. Some organizations just get the absolute best out of players.

I think Buffalo, like most Canadian franchises have a significant disadvantage with this aspect.

I think it's extremely understated how attitude and a multiple of other factors contribute to an individuals success over just skill and determination. Let's face it they're for the most part all skilled and determined. This is when environmental factors kick in. Factors that certain American markets enjoy over others. Weather, Sun, Airports, anonymity.

We have to understand that NHL players aren't your average Joe. They're for the most part.. Stinking rich. If I was stinking rich.. what would I want to be doing in Canada, Buffalo, Minnesota in the winter? When there's tax Free warm sunny Tampa... Vegas. California etc.

It's not even just the players and it may be even more related to spouses and family. An unhappy wife etc. Cold and lack of sunlight in winter are factors that I don't think can be ignored.

The only Northern Franchise even remotely consistent is Toronto. And they're average at best compared to the sunbelt and other big city American markets.

People come on here and just crap on Franchises decisions and coaching hires but I honestly believe there's a big Elephant in the room. NHL players do not like cold and darkness, They don't like smaller cities, they don't like pressure. I'll also say that for the most part it's not a conscious decision.

I just find it odd how some franchises garner such consistent play from their players. Over and over, year on year. Canadian franchises for the most part can't get that. They play awesome, then turn to crap. Vancouver is kicking ass this year. They all feel good about themselves and life is good. But I won't be the least bit surprised to see them all dark and depressed again next year.

There's a reason certain franchises appear the most on no trade lists. And it's for the most part based on location, not state of the franchise.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Cozens won't bust, but he has been flat out bad this year. Pretty much the only thing the entire Sabres board, who watch all the Sabres games, can agree upon is that he has been flat bad. He won't bust, but the lack of production out of our 2nd line has been killing the team. The numbers show both our goaltending and our D have improved, but we have no consistency when it comes to offense now. The biggest problem is our 2nd line and that's on Cozens.

He will be fine, but to say he IS fine, is false.

The goal posts were quickly switched from "playing poorly" to "sucks and is a bust" when he received an answer he didn't like.

I agree he will be fine, but he's been objectively poor to start the season.

Reactions: Mattilaus

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Honestly I think there's more to be said about how an organizations runs it's operations than anyone hear gives credit to. Some organizations just get the absolute best out of players.

I think Buffalo, like most Canadian franchises have a significant disadvantage with this aspect.

I think it's extremely understated how attitude and a multiple of other factors contribute to an individuals success over just skill and determination. Let's face it they're for the most part all skilled and determined. This is when environmental factors kick in. Factors that certain American markets enjoy over others. Weather, Sun, Airports, anonymity.

We have to understand that NHL players aren't your average Joe. They're for the most part.. Stinking rich. If I was stinking rich.. what would I want to be doing in Canada, Buffalo, Minnesota in the winter? When there's tax Free warm sunny Tampa... Vegas. California etc.

It's not even just the players and it may be even more related to spouses and family. An unhappy wife etc. Cold and lack of sunlight in winter are factors that I don't think can be ignored.

The only Northern Franchise even remotely consistent is Toronto. And they're average at best compared to the sunbelt and other big city American markets.

People come on here and just crap on Franchises decisions and coaching hires but I honestly believe there's a big Elephant in the room. NHL players do not like cold and darkness, They don't like smaller cities, they don't like pressure. I'll also say that for the most part it's not a conscious decision.

I just find it odd how some franchises garner such consistent play from their players. Over and over, year on year. Canadian franchises for the most part can't get that. They play awesome, then turn to crap. Vancouver is kicking ass this year. They all feel good about themselves and life is good. But I won't be the least bit surprised to see them all dark and depressed again next year.

There's a reason certain franchises appear the most on no trade lists. And it's for the most part based on location, not state of the franchise.
Is this why Boston and colorado are such terrible teams and Arizona and SJ have such a rich history of success? Because of the weather?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad