Why did Quebec not get a team?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
If not QC, what Eastern team is gonna make team #36 should we get that far? It doesn't sound like there's any other options left

Baltimore? Orlando? Jacksonville? Cincinnati? Cleveland? Charlotte? Virginia Beach? Richmond? Jacksonville? Providence? They all have metro areas with at least 1.5 million people. And that's leaving out both Memphis and Birmingham, which are both over 1 million.

Monsieur Miz

Nov 3, 2017
The NHL ignores Quebec on damn near a disrespectful level and you expect folks there to attend? Sounds abit dumb, but they are showing integrity by not going. They should outright protest the game since a protest would get them on page one on all the social media sites.

People not showing up has nothing to do with the NHL. People aren't going because they hate the CAQ government. They announced these two random games when they were negotiating salaries in the public sector and they said there was no money left.

Still, if you want a team that bad... 10 000 empty seats is a bad look. It just gives Bettman more munition to never bring a team back.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not even going to touch on the Quebec market size here, maybe if people want a NHL team to go back to Quebec, maybe there should be enough investors or an ownership group that wants them there enough to flash money to get them there :dunno:

There really seems to be this idea where Quebec is somehow owed a team despite it not seeming like there is any sort of ownership or funding for a team to be there. The NHL isn't passing on Quebec for some sort of bias, it's because no one is making a legitimate financial case for why they should own a team. If there was an ownership group with a lot of money and a lot of local financial backing for a team, I completely believe that they'd go back to Quebec.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Still, if you want a team that bad... 10 000 empty seats is a bad look. It just gives Bettman more munition to never bring a team back.
If Bettman can look past Atlanta folding twice, he can look past 10,000 empty seats.

As we both know, Bettman has NO interest in adding a team in Canada and the seating in QC is irrelevant. QC could sell out both games and have a 20,000 season ticket waiting list and Bettman would yawn.

Like I said before, for all the money Sportsnet/TSN pays to televise NHL hockey, they should pressure the NHL to add a Canadian team. If Sportsnet/TSN said, "We want another Canadian teams to make the NHL Canadian package profitable and we're not buying in until we get a guarantee of an 8th team", Bettman would start the process of adding another Canadian team tomorrow.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Monsieur Miz

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Jets have a smaller rink and tickets are more expensive.

The Jets never lost money despite spending to the cap.

The Trashers lost 130M USD in their last 6 years of operation and if I remember correctly, they weren’t spending to the cap.

How many times does it have to be said??? The Atlanta Spirit group NEVER wanted the team. It was a package deal to get the Hawks and Phillips Arena. So, of course they weren't spending to the cap. Hell, they didn't want to spend ANY money on the Thrashers.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Baltimore? Orlando? Jacksonville? Cincinnati? Cleveland? Charlotte? Virginia Beach? Richmond? Jacksonville? Providence? They all have metro areas with at least 1.5 million people. And that's leaving out both Memphis and Birmingham, which are both over 1 million.
Or just go with Arizona and San Diego and move Nashville to the Eastern Conference. Cuts out a bunch of 8 and 9 pm games from their schedule and adds more 6 and 6:30 pm ones, which isn't entirely ideal, but it reduces their travel quite a bit. And great regional rivalries with Atlanta and Carolina. As a Canes fan, that covid central division was a lot of fun, Nashville and the Canes have always been a great pair with a lot of fan affinity, and it's always sucked not playing them often.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Just curious, what is the cutoff? Can't mention a team from 100 years ago, but 40 years is fine?
Lol there isnt a cutoff but incase you have realized, things are completely different than they were 100 years ago. The league is different than it was 100 years ago even 40 years ago.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is TSN/Rogers going to pay for it??

Well "TSN" is a network and obviously they're not going to pay for anything.

But their owners, Bell, who just got out of the Leafs' ownership consortium, could certainly table some serious dollars to bring another team to Canada.

I think Hamilton gets a team before Quebec City. Either would be cool though.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Lol there isnt a cutoff but incase you have realized, things are completely different than they were 100 years ago. The league is different than it was 100 years ago even 40 years ago.

Exactly, the league is different than it was 100 years and even 40 years ago. So, why do people get mad when others say Quebec has had two NHL teams already. I mean if we are going to mention Atlanta twice (one over 44 years ago), shouldn't we include 100 years ago also??

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
In 1980, the absolute highest paid players in the NHL were earning $300,000, roughly equivalent to $1.2 million in today's dollars. Tickets cost 5 bucks. The economics of sports have fundamentally changed since the 1980s and it is just as ridiculous to use the example of a team from 1980 as it is to use the example of a team from 1900. Neither are remotely relevant to the modern economics of sports.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
If given a chance for a team of their own, I am sure Bell (TSN) would say yes - maybe not in QC, but in Southern Ontario, YES!

What do you mean "given a chance"? They can go through the expansion process like everybody else. Get an ownership group together, show their finances, show their plan of operation (which includes where they plan to play), and don't forget their deposit.

RogerRogerr

May 11, 2011
Toronto
Québec City has a small population. It's not a city with lots of large businesses that can easily fill out business suites. It's not bringing a lot of new fans. It's not a large media/tv market.

It doesn't have a very rich owner that can withstand a Canadian economic downturn (off synch with a US downturn). And that's probably what is hurting Québec the most, that's why it failed last time around so the League will be sensitive to that. Plus, with Winnipeg, not doing absolutely fantastic last year, it only strengthens that fear.

Reactions: Bender

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
In 1980, the absolute highest paid players in the NHL were earning $300,000, roughly equivalent to $1.2 million in today's dollars. Tickets cost 5 bucks. The economics of sports have fundamentally changed since the 1980s and it is just as ridiculous to use the example of a team from 1980 as it is to use the example of a team from 1900. Neither are remotely relevant to the modern economics of sports.

So, that means that Atlanta has only had ONE opportunity for a hockey team.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
This is an honest question. And I'm not a super angry Canadian who thinks the NHL hates us. I'm just honestly confused because I thought they had an NHL ready arena and some super rich dude that was willing to pony up. Was it simply the East vs West thing needing to be worked out? Or were there other reasons. The NHL has shown it's willingness to go back to former Canadian markets so I have to believe that isn't it. As a Habs fan I kinda hoped it would happen because that was a damn good rivalry back in the day.

Maybe it has something to do with requiring everyone who’s been in Quebec longer than six months to engage with provincial services (including 911 and hospital staff) in French only.

• Haha
Reactions: JMCx4

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
What do you mean "given a chance"? They can go through the expansion process like everybody else. Get an ownership group together, show their finances, show their plan of operation (which includes where they plan to play), and don't forget their deposit.
Um... Okay.

Bell is not (really) in the Sports business - TSN is a tiny(!) part of their business. They have bigger fish to fry. Also, Bettman does NOT want to put a team in Canada.

My point was : Rogers and Bell, for the good of Canada, should pressure the NHL to put another team in Canada. If they decided to go down this altruistic / noble route, Bell could then buy the team - since Rogers owns the Leafs.

Having said that, as I said above, Bell has bigger fish to fry.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
P.S.

BCE is a HUGE company. You seem to be imply an NHL team is too big a cost for BCE. If that's what you think, you're way off base.

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
OPQ: "Why did Quebec not get a team?"

A: "Because the NHL sees more intrinsic value in HFBoards members stringing the topic along in 20 pages spread over 6 years."

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
So, that means that Atlanta has only had ONE opportunity for a hockey team.
Yes, and the Atlanta Spirit Group deliberately killed that team because they saw it as competition to the basketball team they actually wanted despite the market being viable.

It gets really tiresome when people actively lie about what happened in Atlanta in order to cheer on Quebec for pretty much entirely jingoistic reasons.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad