Why are North American chants so lame compared to soccer chants/songs?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Boring prudish fans and culture plus the game being turned into a luxury experience and pricing out the more passionate people.

Personally, I would find that kind of continuous chanting to be annoying as hell if I was watching a game. It feels like the fans trying to make themselves the show instead of the game being the show.
Very on brand for you.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Leave it to North Americans to downplay the fact that soccer has better fans than the NHL. Every egg head in the NHL needs a constant reminder from the Jumbotron to chant for their team while soccer has absolute bangers like this from their fans. Lots of sneak dissed in here.

This forum is super insecure. Anytime a comparison is made that questions the experience or quality of the NHL or legit concerns are brought up people just bat them away like its nonsense and proceed to shit on other sports. The elitist mentality and gatekeeping here is hilarious.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Lol, I was simply having a conversation and responding with a different point of view.

I hope you have a better day/weekend or whatever it is you seem to need, jfc.

Yeah, American chants are stupid.

They're all stupid, but wouldn't expect anything less around here that someone would only point out American chants. I don't speak Spanish so don't know what the Spanish chants are, but what I found online some of them include, "Go get them!" and "we can!"

Those are some amazing chants that are vastly different than the US and really just makes the team want to win. Earth shattering stuff there bud.

Like another poster said, shitting on Americans and everything about us is cool and shows how enlightened someone is.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So but your own definition then baseball must be boring since Japanese baseball fans chant the whole game right?

What about Japanese baseball fans who invent songs and chants at games ? Are you that much of a hypocrite?

I saw a game in Japan in 2019 and that was such a fun experience. To my surprise nobody was really on their phones and they were cheering on a routine fly ball.

7th inning was memorable. Instead of the 7th inning stretch, the home team fans had a coordinated team anthem in the top of the inning and the home team did theirs before the bottom of the 7th.

I got there early to soak in the experience and one interesting thing was during BP that none of the fans would touch a BP home run ball. In the US, grown adults would push over a kid for one. Over there they'd almost avoid it and the usher would toss it back onto the field.

Definitely added to my cynicism with certain friends at baseball games who are more interested in the giveaways and $15 beers than the actual game.

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
They're all stupid, but wouldn't expect anything less around here that someone would only point out American chants. I don't speak Spanish so don't know what the Spanish chants are, but what I found online some of them include, "Go get them!" and "we can!"

Those are some amazing chants that are vastly different than the US and really just makes the team want to win. Earth shattering stuff there bud.

Like another poster said, shitting on Americans and everything about us is cool and shows how enlightened someone is.
I'm American "bud". It's pretty humorous how defensive so many of us get when not everything is USA is #1 at everything!

Seems to me though you may have searched for Mexican chants, which would be pretty funny considering the earlier comments in this thread about North America.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain

Two quick examples of things just being on a different level when it comes to fans in Europe. I guess this is subjective though, shrug.

Reactions: DaveG

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
I'm American "bud". It's pretty humorous how defensive so many of us get when not everything is USA is #1 at everything!

Seems to me though you may have searched for Mexican chants, which would be pretty funny considering the earlier comments in this thread about North America.

I don't think we're number 1 at everything and never suggested that. I merely pointed out that it's become such common place to bash the country, whether you're from here or not, don't care.

I've been to a long list of countries from third world impoverished locations in Africa to various large and wealthy European cities. Most who bash the US, whether self-hating or not, having been to that many places so it's cute to spread ignorance.

And sure didn't. Searched Spanish soccer chants.

I'm proud of you for not suggesting I wouldn't know Mexico is North America or something similar.

Reactions: DaveG and Turbonium

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
This forum is super insecure. Anytime a comparison is made that questions the experience or quality of the NHL or legit concerns are brought up people just bat them away like its nonsense and proceed to shit on other sports. The elitist mentality and gatekeeping here is hilarious.
Don’t think you know what gate keeping means .

Are we also “gaslighting”?

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
There's a reason why college sports are looked as having more passionate fans than major sports, which I think helps answer OP's question broadly. College fans are attached to their school specifically, and those schools will be there whether they're in a top NCAA division or playing against community colleges. It's a fandom that lasts whether their school is "successful" or not, allows fans to engage with their team in many different ways and plays into their personal background.

On the other hand, every team in the NHL, NBA, NFL, etc. is ephemeral. One day an owner could get taxpayer dollars thrown at by another city, have some bad investments they need to get out of, go through a divorce, wake up with a bruised ego even, and then bam - no more major league team within a season. This kind of control also means that everything about a team is also about the owners, not really about the team as an institution or the community that supports the team. Any pro team in the world needs to raise revenue, sure, but major sports franchises specifically need to bring a somewhat respectable amount of money relative to the other teams in the league no matter where they're located because major sports teams literally have no purpose if they're not playing against other major league teams.

So major league teams are laser-focused towards broadening their audience and driving sales at every turn, which makes it very hard to let fans themselves take initiative and express passion outside of what the team owners have sanctioned. Fans themselves aren't going to kill themselves over their teams, either, in a way college fans might because at the end of the day they cheer for franchises, not schools or sports clubs.

Back to Euro soccer fans, their passion isn't always a good thing - it's routine for ultras to incite violence, mob players when they're travelling, sing racist chants and whatnot. There's even a sordid history in some countries of organized fandom being leveraged to recruit militants and commit war crimes. To an extent, that's why major league owners make the fan experience relatively sterile - so people feel comfortable attending games and bringing out the whole family - but the trade off is that there's, well, less emotional investment to go around.

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
The best seats are still going to students who lead the way on atmosphere. The luxury boxes are being leased by alumni, not faceless corporations to dole out to execs.

Sure, lots of money flowing through it, but the presence at the games isn't corporate. And due to the somewhat remote nature of many college towns, it might never be.
The presence isnt corporate? What? Advertising is so bad for College football telecasts that over 25 percent of the perceived run time of a game (56 minutes of commercials for a 3.5 hour telecast)

College Gameday built by the Home Depot.

The Big 12 might be called the AllState 12 Conference in 2 months.

Lol

Reactions: DaveG and joelef

Turbonium

Aug 21, 2020
Spain
I don't think we're number 1 at everything and never suggested that. I merely pointed out that it's become such common place to bash the country, whether you're from here or not, don't care.

I've been to a long list of countries from third world impoverished locations in Africa to various large and wealthy European cities. Most who bash the US, whether self-hating or not, having been to that many places so it's cute to spread ignorance.

And sure didn't. Searched Spanish soccer chants.

I'm proud of you for not suggesting I wouldn't know Mexico is North America or something similar.

Searching Spanish soccer chants could very well give you what they chant in Mexico... that whole speaking spanish thing and all. I kid I kid, this forum sure is on edge today.

I wasn't aware that saying fans in X Y or Z place are more passionate or have better chants than fans in the US was bashing the US (maybe this wasn't directed towards me, not sure). Perhaps it's become common place to bash the country due to people being upset about a long list of things that they would like fixed. Either way, I don't care to bash the US as my life here for what I want is simply better. Many would say life there is better for them. Whatever makes one happy.

Anyway, time for some wine and France vs Holland watching. Cheers!

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Seriously. Hockey fans have no room to talk when a franchise like the coyotes was dead in the water for eons before they finally pulled the plug on that joke. They were in what like a highschool arena because they couldn’t sell any seats in a real stadium.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The presence isnt corporate? What? Advertising is so bad for College football telecasts that over 25 percent of the perceived run time of a game (56 minutes of commercials for a 3.5 hour telecast)

Lol

None of that impacts the in-person gameday experience.

I'm not saying that it isn't massively commercialized. I'm saying the people in attendance are students and alumni, not randos who got their tickets through work, and that makes for a different environment.

Reactions: DaveG

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
From a european pov it feels like when going to a game in the US you are there to be entertained, but many european fans are ath the stadium to support the team and try to inject energy to the players you support, and to pressure the referee. This is of course very broadly generalised.

Soccer is of course the most famous when it comes to chants etc., but you find it on a lower level for hockey or handball or any team sport.

For soccer stadiums are usualy split into several sections, where behind one of the golas the most hardcore home fans have their section, and the away fans have it behind the other goal. Where standing stands are legal these are usualy that. On the long sides it is sections that are more relaxed and family friendly, and also often mixed between home and away fans (not for the most heated derbys).

Never been to NA for any match there, but from people I have spoken too, the quality of the stdiums, shows etc arefar better then what are expected in Europe, but alo much more expensive. I'm sure if you had a section in say Toronto with 15 dollar tickets and you are expected to war a team jersey, sing and do tifo every match, you would get these supporter groups there aswell, but tickets as they are today are way to expensive for that kind of fan to afford all season. It is better for the owner to sell more expensive tickets as most teams will sell out anyway.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I honestly dont think half of them care about the game, just want to fight

I was an Ultras for 10+ years. All we wanted was to see our team win, but if the other team‘s hardcore fans wanted a piece of us, we always answered the bell, so to speak. I can say that all the hardcore, organized fans of all teams minus one (the Zurich Lions) wanted the same.

Reactions: Turbonium

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I was an Ultras for 10+ years. All we wanted was to see our team win, but if the other team‘s hardcore fans wanted a piece of us, we always answered the bell, so to speak. I can say that all the hardcore, organized fans of all teams minus one (the Zurich Lions) wanted the same.
sorry but what do u mean u were an Ultras for 10+ years? I dont really know much about soccer or even the teams. only team I can really think of is Manchester United but that might be because of Eurotrip lol

but okay, I got that mindset from this documentary about when England went to the World Cup and it kinda felt like they were more focused on just being part of the crowd over wanting to watch the game. just a giant party with excessive drinking

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
sorry but what do u mean u were an Ultras for 10+ years? I dont really know much about soccer or even the teams. only team I can really think of is Manchester United but that might be because of Eurotrip lol

but okay, I got that mindset from this documentary about when England went to the World Cup and it kinda felt like they were more focused on just being part of the crowd over wanting to watch the game. just a giant party with excessive drinking
I wasn‘t talking about soccer, I was talking about hockey.

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

joelef

Nov 22, 2011

Lol
Yeo completely in denial.

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Don’t think you know what gate keeping means .

Are we also “gaslighting”?
Nah, I know what it means and it happens here all the time. Many people actually don't care or want the sport to grow on this forum. Keep trying the boomer 'gotcha' crap though.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Lol, I was simply having a conversation and responding with a different point of view.

I hope you have a better day/weekend or whatever it is you seem to need, jfc.
lol, no need to project your anger or whatever this is onto me. I was just sharing my opinion in this thread - not trying to engage in some side conversation with you about our personal chant preferences or game experiences or whatever lmao :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad