Whom would you draft in 2023 with our first pick ?

Whom would you pick in 2023 ?

• Reinbacher

Votes: 94 47.7%
  • Michkov

Votes: 67 34.0%
  • Leonard

Votes: 31 15.7%
  • Danielson

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dvorsky

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Wallinder (D)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Benson

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Sandin-Pellika (D)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Could not possibly care less what the morons on other boards would choose. I've seen enough terrible takes over the years that make their opinions nul. This is without mentioning many cannot even properly assess players currently in the NHL.

The answer is to the question is two fold:

1. Reinbacher is the better fit. Michkov becomes redundant with both Caufield and Demidov in the club.

2. It's still way too soon to say. Demidov could fizzle out. Reinbacher could bust. We don't know how much of Michkovs game will translate. I thought he was Bedards 1B, but watching him this year, even with the added production, I was wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing how his speed and lack of strength translates. That's without mentioning what Tortorella will think of the cherry picking.

Because of what you write in 2), that any prospect can bust, I would love to have Michkov in our pool in addition to Demidov and Caufield. That depth would make me more comfortable about the offense moving forward.

But that doesn't mean I would take him over Reinbacher.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
So basically you would prefer Michkov and Parehk instead of Demidov and Reinbacher. time will tell.

No, Michkov/Leonard over Reinbacher. The fact Demidov slid to us was a fluke, that could never be predicted and you take him 10/10 times.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I said before that Demidov would soften the blow of missing out on Michkov and I'm standing by my word. I don't see how you can comfortably say that Reinbacher would be the best dman of the 2024 class. He could very well have been drafted in the same range as Silayev/Dickinson/Buium. The fact that he's right-handed is more desirable, but I'll always bring up the example of Dallas having 3 LHD in their top 4 so it doesn't hold that much weight to me.

Overall, I'd say it worked out but of course, time will tell.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
When I saw Price at the podium, I was hoping to hear him say Leonard. But I'm, fine with the Reinbacher pick.
And it's probably advantageous for the Habs going Reinbacher then Demidov rather than Michkov and another right D because it takes more time to develop D's

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
I would still go with Michkov. Adding Demidov took away the pain but didn't make it right. Michkov is a superior prospect compared to Reinbacher. Canadiens top-6 wingers would be Stanley Cup level (albeit rest of the team wouldn't). They still need a true 1D, with or without Reinbacher.

And I did promise to shut my mouth about Michkov. But one has to answer when asked, otherwise it could be considered rude.

Reactions: ReimanSum1908

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
To truly important thing with David Reinbacher it's that he would go selected in tier of the top D this year draft even if it's a great year for D.

I really like him more than Zayne Parekh, Carter Yakemchuk and Anton Silayev. They all go top 10 this year.

I have Reinbacher in the mix of Levshunov, Dickinson and Buium.

Soo it's a great D-man prospect we picked last year.

I think people hated the pick it's only because they selected him before Matvei Michkov (I was mad in draft day), mea culpa today.

But ahead of Leonard and Benson?!?! It's always been fine to me. Because Reinbacher have all tools to become a top pairing D. Leonard and Benson are really really good, but Reinbacher will be the more valuable piece for a team. Steady two-way RD, great defensive IQ, great skating ability, great offensive instinct aswell. He can move the puck. He have a good shot also.

Today with Ivan Demidov, I think, everyone forget about Matvei Mickov. Michkov will always be the better goalscorer than Demidov, but Demidov better personnality, don't need a translator, better passing ability (yes Michkov is good, but the offensive IQ of Demidov is insane). Demidov will be a superstar type of guy. Michkov a goalscorer gerenationnal. But I'm 100% confident that Demidov will be more complete and dynamic than Michkov at NHL level.

My two cents!

Reactions: rve24

bentheprop

Oct 28, 2006
St Catharines, ON
Reinbacher. I wanted anyone but Michkov and was really disappointed that he didn't go before our pick. The reports on his attitude really worried me. He could be the sort of high pick that ends up out of the league in 4 or 5 years in spite of his talent.

Reactions: KevSkillz4

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
I said before that Demidov would soften the blow of missing out on Michkov and I'm standing by my word. I don't see how you can comfortably say that Reinbacher would be the best dman of the 2024 class. He could very well have been drafted in the same range as Silayev/Dickinson/Buium. The fact that he's right-handed is more desirable, but I'll always bring up the example of Dallas having 3 LHD in their top 4 so it doesn't hold that much weight to me.

Curious man…. Have you watched Reinbacher play against his peers?? He’s very dominant. He was the best D because he was the best D regardless of hand. Man he gets so downplayed here. The kid is going to be a stud for us

ReimanSum1908

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
To truly important thing with David Reinbacher it's that he would go selected in tier of the top D this year draft even if it's a great year for D.
Really? I cannot see Reinbacher being selected over any of the defensemen that went top fifteen in this year's draft. While Reinbacher has, as admitted by the administration at most the potential to become a number two defenseman - something that I find to be a ridiculous overestimation - Buium could easily become a number one.

Some of them were much less safe picks, but not a single one has a lower ceiling.

• Haha
Reactions: CHwest

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Curious man…. Have you watched Reinbacher play against his peers?? He’s very dominant. He was the best D because he was the best D regardless of hand. Man he gets so downplayed here. The kid is going to be a stud for us
Not really sure what you're talking about. Reinbacher was the best D in 2023 for sure, it was a really bad draft class for dmen. In 2024, I don't see how you can comfortably say he's better than all the dmen, it was a very strong class even though a bunch of forwards got drafted.

I see posters saying he's easily better than Levshunov so I don't think he's getting downplayed at all, he's a great prospect but is in the same tier as a lot of the dmen in the 2024 draft.

Kennerback

Jun 2, 2021
Some guy’s don’t fit well in a big market. Phil Kessel in T.O. was a fish out of water with the 24/7 media. My gut feeling is Michkov would be a distraction.

If I had both Demidov and Michkov, I’d be slowing be making phone calls to see if I can get good value in return in that contingency. The goal is not to pile young stars like the Oilers did but identifying the core and getting the best supporting cast for a Cup run.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Really? I cannot see Reinbacher being selected over any of the defensemen that went top fifteen in this year's draft. While Reinbacher has, as admitted by the administration at most the potential to become a number two defenseman - something that I find to be a ridiculous overestimation - Buium could easily become a number one.

Some of them were much less safe picks, but not a single one has a lower ceiling.

Like I said in my post, Reinbacher is in the same tier of Levshunov, Dickinson and Buium. But I think he is better than the rest. 22 pts in 46 games in Swiss League at 17 years old, that's really really good.

Reactions: Hins77 and jaffy27

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Like I said in my post, Reinbacher is in the same tier of Levshunov, Dickinson and Buium. But I think he is better than the rest. 22 pts in 46 games in Swiss League at 17 years old, that's really really good.
Agreed. Just the fact that he played top minutes pro at 17 puts him ahead of those three in my books

Reactions: KevSkillz4

WentWughes

Apr 16, 2023
Still going Michkov, Demidov and Michkov in the top six would be lethal. Pick the BPA and then shift the focus to converting assets to solidifying the defence.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
No reason not to stick with the best D prospect in the 2023 draft. 6'3 210 LB RD is the right guy.

Agree.

Also, we have seen how hard RD are to get.

We would not have the opportunity at Levshunov. There is no good RHD for next year safe Hensler and he is not looking to be in the Reinbacher/Levshunov tier.

Also, the top 3D in 2024 were RHD. Go figure. Drafted before the likes of Dickinson and Silayev.

I would have trade back with Philly and pick Reinbacher or Leonard

PHI wanted to trade up for Reinbacher tho, even offering Gauthier.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I wanted Michkov, or Leonard, even Dvorsky.

What's done is done though, and I don't mind Reinbacher, so I hope he becomes the no3/Hamrlik type I think he can become for us.

Hopefully he becomes our 1/2D and anchor our D at ES. We drafted him 5OV and his ceiling is top pairing.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
I had never heard of Wallinder, I gave him my vote because everyone deserves to be loved.

I feel the question to be stale since the moment our future stud D and Hutson’s match made in heaven has been drafted.

• Haha
Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Counter argument.

The top 3D in the 2024 draft were RHD.

Yakemchuk drafted above Buium, Silayev and Dickinson. And Reinbacher had a way, better draft year like ainec than Yakemchuk. No top pair RHD in 2025, big maybe on Hensler.

We would not have the chance to sniff a RHD in 2024 because Levshunov was drafted 2nd. And he was going maximum 3 at ANA.

RHD are the most coveted asset after big 1C.

Dallas having 3 LHD is a testimony to the rarity of the good RHD. Not the fact that its unimportant.

Nemec going above Cooley/Wright.

Ottawa trading Chychrun for Jensen is another testimony of that fact.

Etc.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
This year's draft proves that Reinbacher was 100% the right pick. I like him better than Levshunov and he was picked 2nd overall... There's no doubt in my mind he would've been the first dman picked this year again.

Michkov might be the more exciting prospect but I think too many people underestimate the value of a player like Reinbacher.

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Counter argument.

The top 3D in the 2024 draft were RHD.

Yakemchuk drafted above Buium, Silayev and Dickinson. And Reinbacher had a way, better draft year like ainec than Yakemchuk. No top pair RHD in 2025, big maybe on Hensler.
Completely different styles, we wouldn’t have taken Yakemchuk when we have Hutson and Mailloux.
Dallas having 3 LHD is a testimony to the rarity of the good RHD. Not the fact that it’s unimportant.
It’s not something to ignore either. In fact, it’s not totally rare to see a dman play both sides.

Reactions: Jaynki

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
I really wanted any of the 4 F’s that were picked before us. Also I read somewhere that Reinbacher would have been selected by the Coyotes at 6 so I’m happy to have the best right D if not the best D in the draft.
Time will tell.
I also believe Demidov is elite & Michkov is good. Stoked about the ‘24 draft.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Completely different styles, we wouldn’t have taken Yakemchuk when we have Hutson and Mailloux.

It’s not something to ignore either. In fact, it’s not totally rare to see a dman play both sides.
It may not be rare, but it is rare to see Dmen EXCEL at both sides. Guhle for example- can play RD but get exposed to injury and can’t transition nearly as effectively as when he is LD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad