Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Hell yeah I would be okay with Q coming here to be the Head Coach.

Quenneville and Berube are my top two Coaching choices.

Reactions: wingman75

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
here's the thing; we usually give second chances to repentant individuals. When you refer a rapist to a position of power over vulnerable you absolutely bear some responsibility. It's ridiculous that you believe he doesnt.

From some of the information i've read and heard he has pretty much taken no responsibility for what happened which is ridiculous
To be fair we don't know what he owned up to during the investigation, only what hit the news. The reliable stuff was in the investigating law firm's report which didn't have a lot of Quenneville detail because they were keying on the more senior guys and not the actual stuff that got him marginalized.

For arguments sake we don't know how clubs were dealing with same sex relationships in 2010. Did they just put their heads in the sand when anything came up? I still don't know of any public discussion by the league other than stick tape so I kind of think dont ask dont tell is the rule today but much more so then. Without going too far down the path of reading past the info on the legal report, it isnt really clear exactly what was said in the meeting Quenneville had. If you look at the law firms report, and specifically what Jim Gary told the meeting, can you tell from that if it was an actual sex act or harassment that was reported?

I don't know the coach but it seems less likely that he recommended and unleashed a sexual predator than he was not aware of exactly what happened. What possible benefit giving a reference to a rapist? I idon't doubt there might be people who could not imagine Beach being forced to do anything by someone he could snap like a twig. I am not trying to give Quenneville a pass, just saying there is a bit of mud in that water.

Last edited:

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Keefe is probably getting the guillotine this week so we can look forward to a new coach. what are some options in your minds?

Here are some potential candidates
-> Mike Sullivan (If he gets fired or resigns)
-> Rod the Bod (if Dundon doesnt want to pay the big bucks)
-> Dean Evason (did a lot with a mid minnesota team but remains to be seen if he's actually a good coach)
-> Todd Reirdon
-> Craig Berube

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
Couldn't work here. Our media would all virtue signal and call out the team for the hire and the pressure would ramp up more on higher ups like with the CBJ hiring Babcock and then having to fire him.
I guess you forget who owns the Leafs. If Q is the HC, no media in TOR will virtue signal and call out the team for the hiring.
OTOH, maybe some independent sports shows in other cities or podcasts will call out the team of the hiring.

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
The stars had grown tired of Babock's style. This is the area that Keefe doesn't get enough credit. He created an atmosphere on the team that the Core 4 want to be here. They want play here and they're put in a position to thrive. Good coaches get the most out of their stars. Keefe is great at that.
The stars had grown tired of someone holding them accountable and yes Keefes country club atmosphere and public apologies whenever he criticizes them has worked well

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
With Keefe seemingly likely fired, who would you want as the Leafs head coach?

As of right now, there's lots of speculation surrounding Berube, with Biz even joking about it during the TNT panel.

As we noted in this space, sources say Berube is “intrigued” by the Ottawa job, but has other options and the sense is he also wants to see what happens to Keefe in Toronto. We haven’t been able to confirm if he’s even had formal discussions with the Senators.

Berube, 58, who led the Blues to a Stanley Cup in 2019, has one year left on a deal that pays him just under $4 million U.S. He’s had serious talks with Devils’ general manager Tom Fitzgerald about the club’s vacant post, but can pick and choose his next destination.

If the Leafs do fire Keefe, then Berube would be a top candidate for that post while also having possible options with Devils or Senators. He’s big on accountability and would push the right buttons to help any team get to the next level and Toronto has the best roster to make that happen.

Seems Ottawa is interested but he's waiting to see what happens to the Leafs.

He seems to be one of the top candidates right now, but is there anyone else you would prefer? Aside from his one Stanley Cup as a mid-season replacement, he's only got out of the 1st round once in his first four full seasons as head coach in St. Louis before being fired.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
My pipedream was Cooper or Rod, but Cooper re-upped an additional year at the end of the playoffs and seems like Rod will eventually re-sign. Not their first time theyve dragged their feet before getting a deal done.

Last edited:
Reactions: Buds17

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
One of these guys. :laugh:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Brind'Amour is my first choice - bring that entire bench over.

if not:

Quenneville
Cooper
Sullivan
Gallant

Keep the hell away from Berube, please.

Why Gallant over Berube? The rest of the options are not available and 99% won't be.

SImpelton

Mar 1, 2018
I guess you forget who owns the Leafs. If Q is the HC, no media in TOR will virtue signal and call out the team for the hiring.
OTOH, maybe some independent sports shows in other cities or podcasts will call out the team of the hiring.
that feels really optimistic from an outside perspective.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Why Gallant over Berube? The rest of the options are not available and 99% won't be.

I have hesitation towards Berube too because the only time he's won is during his new coach bump - so it's unlikely it was part of his coaching anyway as it usually takes time to implement your structure. St. Louis took off right when he was hired so it's likely they just played harder for their new coach to make an impression rather than his coaching.

Since then, he got out of the 1st round once in his 4 seasons - so he's not any more successful than Keefe.

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
My pipedream was Cooper or Rod, but Cooper re-upped an additional and seems like Rod will eventually re-sign. Not their first time theyve dragged their feet before getting a deal done.
I think Brind Amour would be my first choice. (I never felt Cooper was a possibility). He may not want to leave Carolina if he considers it home. But the Leafs COULD easily make it worth his while.

While I loved how the Blues played on their cup run; I really don’t think the Leafs will resemble that. Its just not their “Brand”.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad