Post-Game Talk: Potential new coach discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Why Gallant over Berube? The rest of the options are not available and 99% won't be.
Gallant looked good on multiple teams and had multiple deep playoff runs.

Berube had 1 good playoffs, running with a goalie coming out of nowhere and standing on his head. The St Louis cup win, the rest of the team looked pretty mediocre.

Reactions: ACC1224

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
He’s definitely the best coach out there, I’d have no problem with it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
If they are running it back and only removing the coach, Gallant would be perfect for a season or two.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They’ll likely bring in Hakstol or some other hideous hire like that.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
I don't get where the Berube loves comes from, is it because the list of available coaches is so weak? Yes, he won a Stanley Cup and that's something you can discredit... and his record outside that year he took over midway through the season is pretty atrocious.

Unless Cooper or Brind'Amour become available, I find both doubtful, I don't know, the list is not exactly super exciting. Gerard Gallant maybe? He's a very short term solution, maybe he's worth a flyer. Q can get bent, though if he were to get reinstated, I think he'd be the frontrunner.

It doesn't look great unless someone gets cut loose that we don't expect.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I’m hungry for change so anything would be new and exciting but I would worry about the controversy around Q and that may impact his ability to succeed in this market and also in the room.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's not a good coach, and he wouldn't be a good fit here, imo.

Don't think his personality would mesh with this group or this market.

Imma be honest... if Berube isn't a good fit, Gallant is far down the list of good fits at that point. He hasn't lasted more than 3 seasons with any team he's been apart of.

I don't get where the Berube loves comes from, is it because the list of available coaches is so weak? Yes, he won a Stanley Cup and that's something you can discredit... and his record outside that year he took over midway through the season is pretty atrocious.

Unless Cooper or Brind'Amour become available, I find both doubtful, I don't know, the list is not exactly super exciting. Gerard Gallant maybe? He's a very short term solution, maybe he's worth a flyer. Q can get bent, though if he were to get reinstated, I think he'd be the frontrunner.

It doesn't look great unless someone gets cut loose that we don't expect.

If you don't think Berube has a good resume, then you will be definitely underwhelmed with Gallant.

I just see a bunch of posts being disappointed or hating on Berube -- the only other options are coaches that are employed with no sign of leaving and other casts off with plenty of warts. I don't even like Berube that much but he's probably the best option available right now and likely available this off-season.

Last edited:
Reactions: CincoHolio

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Gallant looked good on multiple teams and had multiple deep playoff runs.

Berube had 1 good playoffs, running with a goalie coming out of nowhere and standing on his head. The St Louis cup win, the rest of the team looked pretty mediocre.

Berube has more playoff wins than Gallant in the same amount of playoff seasons.

Past records for coaches is definitely not the best barometer of future success. Just look at Paul Maurice, Peter Laviolette, Bruce Cassidy, Rick Tochet, Jim Montgomery, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: BayStBullies

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
Berube has more playoff wins than Gallant in the same amount of playoff seasons.

Past records for coaches is definitely not the best barometer of future success. Just look at Paul Maurice, Peter Laviolette, Bruce Cassidy, Rick Tochet, Jim Montgomery, etc.

How did he do outside the 1 season outlier?

Anyways, Berubes teams always looked mediocre to ass on the eye test, while Gallants teams look like they have a clear game plan with set plays.

I take Gallant over Berube, based on what I saw in their teams overall play and style.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Yes.

here is my thing and I said this once i heard the issues with Quenneville.

What he did was wrong. But we are looking at it with 2024 eyes and not what the culture was in 2010 or so. He did what he thought was the right thing, kicked it up stairs and focused on winning the cup. I'm assuming he thought management took care of it. and Q being a reference for that guy who went on to abuse a child - was horrible. And Q has to live with that every day of his life. imo that's more than enough punishment for a guy who seems genuinely nice as Joel Quennville.

I've said it before. I am a huge believer in second chances. If he's done the necessary steps (whatever that would involve) and truly understands what he did was wrong then I don't understand why anyone wouldn't give him a chance. I don't really believe people should be cancelled because they made a horrendous mistake in their past and are truly contrite and wanting to atone for that now. and if we wanna use the Media or this isnt the market for that - Keefe came with a hecka lot of baggage and I think it was just drama for about a month and then everyone moved on. (and Keefe's drama was very big drama too).
What a bizarre post. Let me remind you that the first news about the Maple Leaf Gardens abuse scandal came out in 1997. There is no universe in which it was considered ethically acceptable for a manager to not follow up on serious allegations of abuse against one of his direct reports (and in case you actually believe his claim that he had no idea that it was sexual assault, that's still grossly negligent). Calling him "genuinely nice" like this was a routine mistake for anyone in a role of responsibility to make is a joke.

As for second chances and "cancelling", he's a 65 year old multi-millionaire who's achieved the pinnacle in his line of work. Nobody is taking away his Stanley Cup ring. Ask yourself if you'd want someone with that kind of mark on his past supervising young people wherever you work.

The comparisons to Keefe are bizarre, considering Keefe has been very publicly apologetic for what he was involved in, and for the very obvious distinction that Keefe was a victim to start with, which is absolutely not the case for Q.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I'd sell my grandma down the river for a cup run, so you better believe I'm totally fine with the Leafs hiring a great coach despite his past.

Highly doubt it happens - MLSE seem very cognizant of public perception, and I can't imagine they'd openly welcome such controversy. But if he were cleared by the league, I'd 100% be all over him like a dog in heat.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
What a bizarre post. Let me remind you that the first news about the Maple Leaf Gardens abuse scandal came out in 1997. There is no universe in which it was considered ethically acceptable for a manager to not follow up on serious allegations of abuse against one of his direct reports (and in case you actually believe his claim that he had no idea that it was sexual assault, that's still grossly negligent). Calling him "genuinely nice" like this was a routine mistake for anyone in a role of responsibility to make is a joke.

As for second chances and "cancelling", he's a 65 year old multi-millionaire who's achieved the pinnacle in his line of work. Nobody is taking away his Stanley Cup ring. Ask yourself if you'd want someone with that kind of mark on his past supervising young people wherever you work.

The comparisons to Keefe are bizarre, considering Keefe has been very publicly apologetic for what he was involved in, and for the very obvious distinction that Keefe was a victim to start with, which is absolutely not the case for Q.

then clearly our milage varies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
How did he do outside the 1 season outlier?

Anyways, Berubes teams always looked mediocre to ass on the eye test, while Gallants teams look like they have a clear game plan with set plays.

I take Gallant over Berube, based on what I saw in their teams overall play and style.

Why take that away from Berube? He's well liked and has developed a bunch of solid players in his tenure there. Maybe on the Leafs he can elevate the team further beyond. Maybe he sucks just like the rest of them. Coaching records on past teams doesn't mean they can't elevate another team with a much different set of players.

And what has Gallant done if you remove his best season? And what makes you think he has a better game plan with set plays than Berube? Sounds like just a bunch of buzz words without any sort of information provided.

Last edited:
Reactions: thinkblue

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007

my god, do you think Q is the one who did it ? :huh:

Egghead1999

Nov 9, 2007
There's pretty much Zero chance a corporation like MLSE hires a person with Q's reputation. They won't take the risk of tarnishing the brand.
You are right on. The only reason Q is not the Leafs' HC next season is because of the "corporate." No one dares in a corporate to take a risk because of virtue signaling.

Reactions: Darcy Tucker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad