Value of: Who Would Be Worth More in Trade, Benoit Pouliot or Nail Yakupov?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I know that neither guy likely holds a very high value league wide although there's almost always someone that sees more in a player than the majority does. So the question is, who would you say holds more value to a team looking for forward help?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Pouliot has more value in a vacuum, but his suitors are limited to teams that are contenders, have a hole at LW in the middle 6, and have cap space. Can't think of a team that matches that criteria off the top of my head.

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Depends who's buying.

Pouliot is a fixture on a checking line of a competitive team. He's still signed for three seasons at $4m though, which is a negative.

Yakupov is a reclamation project that hasn't established himself as a regular contributor. He's still a highly skilled, high pedigree player under team control for three more seasons though, which is a positive.

With salary retained, Pouliot could net some value in a deal for a team looking for forward depth.

Stuckinthe2ndround*

Yakupov. There's a chance he finds his game once he's away from the train wreck.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Pouliot has more value in a vacuum, but his suitors are limited to teams that are contenders, have a hole at LW in the middle 6, and have cap space. Can't think of a team that matches that criteria off the top of my head.

This is my opinion as well.

Yakupov likely has more suitor

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Pouliot by far. Pouliot is so underrated on here. With Edmonton he scores 52pts per 82 games played. Great secondary scorer who is good defensively and good on the forcheck, good size and competitive edge and has played well with both McDavid and RNH.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Because of where my team is in their development I say Yak, in fact I want the Leafs to acquire him and stick him with Matthews and see what happens I am of the belief that Yak NEEDS to get out of Edmonton

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Yakupov. There's a chance he finds his game once he's away from the train wreck.

I agree, he has youth and a lot of talent but the question is can he put that together elsewhere.? I would take a flyer out on Yak in a second as a reclamation project, much like the Rangers did with Pouliot a couple of seasons ago.......depending on what the asking price was of course. A second and a low level prospect maybe? He is not garbage but he is far from the guy Edmonton thought "Fail for Nail" would bring them.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Pouliot by far. Pouliot is so underrated on here. With Edmonton he scores 52pts per 82 games played. Great secondary scorer who is good defensively and good on the forcheck, good size and competitive edge and has played well with both McDavid and RNH.

....with a 4 million dollar contract for the next 3yrs and at the age of 29 vs. a 22yr old with a 2.5 m contract for 2 yrs.

I think Yak brings more value in trade based on age and salary and potential.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
....with a 4 million dollar contract for the next 3yrs and at the age of 29 vs. a 22yr old with a 2.5 m contract for 2 yrs.

I think Yak brings more value in trade based on age and salary and potential.

52 points for 4 million is good value, no one expected it to work out this well, and thought it was terrible at the time but there's nothing wrong with it now.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Yakupov is cheaper, on a lesser contract, and he has youth and potential on his side.

So him. Even tho he's not good right now.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
52 points for 4 million is good value, no one expected it to work out this well, and thought it was terrible at the time but there's nothing wrong with it now.

This would be a fantastic deal had he ever actually scored 52 points in a season rather than his actual numbers which are a career high of 36 points/year. Even the one year he managed to play 80 games, he only scored 36 points.

Any time people start referring to a player by PPG rather than actual points scored, it's almost guaranteed that either the player has a pretty extensive injury history or they're using such a small sample size there's no way it can be reliably extrapolated to a full season.

Last edited:

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
Pouliot could be one of my favorite middle sixers ever. Amazing along the boards, and since going to edmonton he started scoring at a top 6 pace.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
if you want a guy who you can count on to be a good 3rd liner and play up in the lineup when needed, then for this season it is obviously Pouliot but if you want a chance of a better player and less salary and are willing to wait then Yakupov might be the guy. Of course with Yakupov you are taking a chance that he never turns into anything other than what he has been so far.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
This would be a fantastic deal had he ever actually scored 52 points in a season rather than his actual numbers which are a career high of 36 points/year. Even the one year he managed to play 80 games, he only scored 36 points.

Any time people start referring to a player by PPG rather than actual points scored, it's almost guaranteed that either the player has a pretty extensive injury history or they're using such a small sample size there's no way it can be reliably extrapolated to a full season.

I agree you can't say he's a 50 point guy, but I'd rather keep him in Edmonton than move him if his value is based on that premise. If he can get a few healthy seasons in here he no doubt in my mind will score 20+goals and ~50 points as he's proven he can produce with both RNH and McDavid. If that ever happens then we easily get more then 4M worth for that season out of him when you consider that he's a quality possession player and has a somewhat decent 2-way game and physical game (albeit inconsistent).

As for Nail, this is his last chance in Edmonton. I think he can still be a 25G-50P guy who can play with a physical aspect, I'm just not sure it will be in Edmonton. If he could become that here then it would be a huge boost to this team going forward.

Pouliot could be one of my favorite middle sixers ever. Amazing along the boards, and since going to edmonton he started scoring at a top 6 pace.

He is a very nice complimentary piece on a line with a skilled centre. If he continues to play with RNH and McDavid (or even Draisaitl... He hasn't played with him since Drai's rookie year when he clearly wasn't ready for the NHL) who he's shown the most chemistry with, there is no doubt in my mind he will continue scoring at a 20+G 50 point pace. The question is just if he can stay healthy for us (something thats odd considering he had a fully healthy year in NY where he probably played his most physical brand of hockey).

Last edited:

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg

@ $4 x 3 for a 3rd liner he has little value. Previous contracts were 1 year with highest salary 1.8. 50% retention might get a mid round draft pick.
Yak as a reclamation project has a little. Maybe a 3rd rounder.

In both cases they have more value on the Edmonton roster than in a trade. Not a putdown to Oiler fans but rather previous management.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
@ $4 x 3 for a 3rd liner he has little value. Previous contracts were 1 year with highest salary 1.8. 50% retention might get a mid round draft pick.
Yak as a reclamation project has a little. Maybe a 3rd rounder.

In both cases they have more value on the Edmonton roster than in a trade. Not a putdown to Oiler fans but rather previous management.

The thing is that if Pouliot could actually stay healthy then he shouldn't be considered a 3rd liner. He absolutely has played at the level of a good 2nd liner and has produced as such since joining Edmonton. Its up to you whether you think 113 games is a large enough sample, but in my mind there is no question that a healthy Pouliot is a good 2nd liner if played with a skilled top 6 centre.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Pouliot was abymisal with the habs. Like not even valuable just a big liability. I could not even fathom how a team would want him with his current cap hit.

As for Yakupov.. if he is worst than Pouliot then he is the biggest bust of the century.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad