Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
You might be right, that could be how the voters see it. I don't recall the look Reggie Leach had in a losing cause when he won it (the only non-goalie to win it in a losing cause) for the Flyers after they were swept. I recall the dejected look Giguere had when he won it in 2003. There were some Devils fans booing him. But I can't imagine just how unimportant it would be to win that thing in a losing cause immediately after losing the Cup. So if McDavid wins it in a losing cause he isn't going to be a happy camper.

What if Bob gets a shutout in Game 6? If people think that is crazy he literally had one in Game 1 and allowed one goal in Game 2.
Him deserving the trophy has no bearing on he feels about it. thats just a stupid argument. Are you really saying he shouldn't win it because he won't be happy with it? That just not how it works. You put up the 3rd best playoff numbers in league history you deserve the damn trophy, f*** your feelings, McDavid will learn to like it after time passes.

Reactions: snag

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
I don't think we should ignore the fact that as recent as two games ago McDavid was choking, Barkov was putting on a clinic and Bobrovsky was basically having his name chiseled into the Conn Smythe. Two excellent games by McDavid certainly puts him in the "wins the Conn Smythe if he loses" conversation. But to act like it would be a scandal if Bobrovsky wins it is wrong as well. The exact same people that think he should have nothing to do with the trophy anymore would have admitted he should win it after Game 3. Now, these were two excellent statement games by McDavid. Were they ever! And 42 points in the playoffs is just otherworldly, and there is a reason only Gretzky and Lemieux ever did it. But there was a guy named Gretzky who did NOT win the Smythe in a losing cause with 40 playoff points. Nor did he win it in a winning cause with 34 points either - in fact his opponent did. Nor did he win it with 38 points in a losing cause either. Do we really ignore Bobrovsky if he returns to his Game 1 or 2 form? That cherry on top and that "go out on top" mindset wouldn't propel him to the Smythe? I could see him taking it to be honest. I could also see McDavid taking it, in a win or a loss. All I will agree on with 10000% certainty is that McDavid takes the Smythe in a win. I would love to see anyone argue against that.
The reason Gretzky did not win with 40 points in 93 was because he had already scored 47 in 85, 43 in 88 n mario scored 44 in 91.. its been 31 years since 40 points has been broken. Thats the difference

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't think we should ignore the fact that as recent as two games ago McDavid was choking, Barkov was putting on a clinic and Bobrovsky was basically having his name chiseled into the Conn Smythe. Two excellent games by McDavid certainly puts him in the "wins the Conn Smythe if he loses" conversation. But to act like it would be a scandal if Bobrovsky wins it is wrong as well. The exact same people that think he should have nothing to do with the trophy anymore would have admitted he should win it after Game 3. Now, these were two excellent statement games by McDavid. Were they ever! And 42 points in the playoffs is just otherworldly, and there is a reason only Gretzky and Lemieux ever did it. But there was a guy named Gretzky who did NOT win the Smythe in a losing cause with 40 playoff points. Nor did he win it in a winning cause with 34 points either - in fact his opponent did. Nor did he win it with 38 points in a losing cause either. Do we really ignore Bobrovsky if he returns to his Game 1 or 2 form? That cherry on top and that "go out on top" mindset wouldn't propel him to the Smythe? I could see him taking it to be honest. I could also see McDavid taking it, in a win or a loss. All I will agree on with 10000% certainty is that McDavid takes the Smythe in a win. I would love to see anyone argue against that.

As of 2 games ago, McDavid was choking and Barkov and Bobrovsky were putting on a clinic. That was based on a sample size of 3 games. Then McDavid put up 10 points in the next 2 games, which obviously changes the situation.

The narrative can change a lot based on small sample sizes because the narratives are all being set based on small sample sizes. This is especially true with goalies, a goalie can be terrible for 3 games in a series, but them being elite for 4 games in a series outweighs those shitty games. That's why 2 bad games from Bobrovsky has caused people to say he's the clear Conn Smythe front-runner to not being considered for it anymore.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Him deserving the trophy has no bearing on he feels about it. thats just a stupid argument. Are you really saying he shouldn't win it because he won't be happy with it? That just not how it works. You put up the 3rd best playoff numbers in league history you deserve the damn trophy, f*** your feelings, McDavid will learn to like it after time passes.

I didn't say that at all actually. It was just an observation on how it would be a bittersweet thing.

Reactions: ORRFForever

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Now....if they lose and he wins....What will that do for his legacy :sarcasm:

matsqq

Jan 3, 2011
I am not advocating for atrophy win yet but tkachuck was really strong last game. He showed grit .

• Haha
Reactions: tacogeoff

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am not advocating for atrophy win yet but tkachuck was really strong last game. He showed grit .
Uh, he had 1 point in the finals before that. Is that a Smythe performance? Okay, he scored a couple points here but dunno. The game before he did nothing and was -3.

The reason Gretzky did not win with 40 points in 93 was because he had already scored 47 in 85, 43 in 88 n mario scored 44 in 91.. its been 31 years since 40 points has been broken. Thats the difference
Yeah, although era-wise, malkin's 2009 performance was extremely impressive considering the scoring rates and I wouldn't be surprised if it rivals some of these 40+ runs when adjusted for scoring.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
McDavid has double the points of Barkov. The Oilers have made it to game 6 and are probably going to win that one in front of their crowd. It's 90% guaranteed that he gets it now.

Reactions: Kerberos

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
The other reason is Patrick Roy in 93 was legitimately better than Gretzky that playoff, and is one of the greatest smythe runs of all time.

No one on the Panthers is remotely as good as that

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
If it goes 7, he'll win. If he loses tomorrow he won't.
This seems so, I dunno arbitrary, and made up.

i mean he did more today to make the case for the Conn smythe and Barkov/BOB can't really cut into the huge difference but if his team loses then his performance doesn't matter?

Can Barkov really win the Smythe while McDavid is 17(~80%) points ahead of him?

Does Bob win the Smythe despite being at best the 3rd best goalie these playoffs?
According to some people yes but it's really a weird take this year as McDavid is an extreme outlier and frankly Barkov/BOB are having okay I guess performances but really don't compare to McDavid in any way shape or form.

Last edited:

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I'm at the point where yea ok fine give it to McDavid even if the Panthers win on Friday. I don't like seeing a losing player get it unless it's game 7 but whatever.

Now if the Oilers win in 7, it has to go to Drai. Without him injuring Barkov who doesn't look right, this series would be over

• Haha
Reactions: Spawn

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'm at the point where yea ok fine give it to McDavid even if the Panthers win on Friday. I don't like seeing a losing player get it unless it's game 7 but whatever.

Now if the Oilers win in 7, it has to go to Drai. Without him injuring Barkov who doesn't look right, this series would be over
Eight points in two games… Bob has suddenly slipped.McDavid’s made things a lot more interesting.

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Barkov if Panthers win >> An amazing two-way player. Barkov has shut-down, or limited opponents best players these playoffs, It's been a thing of beauty to witness, he's the real deal. Plus, to preform on biggest stage while playing PP & PK minutes, against best of what teams offer. Wow!!!

McDavid if Oilers win >> McD is full-package on offense, helps teammates score, and has ability to take game over carrying play himself. McDavid has stepped up these playoffs. I called McDavid out as not being as proven like Kucherov & Crosby were on biggest playoff stage. But last two games have given McDavid weight on the biggest stage, and he did it against legit "Cup" contender.

Whoever above wins "Cup" gets & deserves award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad