Who Wins The Conn Smythe Trophy?

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
It will likely be Bob. Not because he's been the MVP in playoffs but because now media is paying attention to finals and it's easier for people to explain losing by "got goalied" than accepting that your megastars got outplayed.

I didn't watch the whole TB series enough to say which G was better, but Bob didn't win the goalie battle against Boston or Rangers. Bob has been the better goalie in the finals though. It will be decided by that. Nobody paid attention to the first 3 rounds and getting goalied is an easier excuse than accepting getting outplayed. Hence Bob

Slimmy

Jan 3, 2009
GBG
Well, even through all rounds Barkov made a huge impact, an impact most don't realize. Look at the players he shut down: Kucherov, Pasti, Panaran, McGregor. That is an all-star team to face in one playoff, none of them had good playoffs. (I know he is not the only one, but he was the matchup )
I thought Forsling had the heavy matchups?

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
I thought Forsling had the heavy matchups?
Sort of hard for D-man to be man-to-man isn't it? Forsling has been good, but my understanding is that Maurice has basically assigned Barkov the top guy man-on-man. I may be wrong, need someone that understands the pairing better than I do. Been decades since I played!

Reactions: Slimmy

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I dunno, Bobrovsky winning the Smythe with the lowest s% since Bill Ranford in 1990 and being the less great goalie on the ice in 2/4 of the series over Barkov, who has been pretty much perfect in his role all playoffs long, would make me feel like the latter is somehow still a bit underrated. It feels like recency bias.

I know this might sound like I'm shitting on Bob, but on the contrary. Hand him the keys to the city... I mean all of Florida, I love the guy! I just feel Barkov is more deserving this time, after watching every Panthers playoff game.

Bob the future HHOFer has been an absolute force out there in the finals, but he wasn't the difference maker in much of the previous series. And he didn't need to be, the Panthers skaters were. He just needed to give the team a chance to win, and he did just that and a bit more.
Bob has a .958sv% in the Final so far. The narrative is he's stonewalled McDavid and Drai. He's winning it.

heksagon

Jul 27, 2010
Finland
Bob has a .958sv% in the Final so far. The narrative is he's stonewalled McDavid and Drai. He's winning it.
It's not just the Finals trophy, and it's not like Bob has been on an island in the Finals with the rest of the Panthers playing bad and winning 1-0. The games have ended 3-0, 4-1 and 4-3, needing to score 4 goals in game 3 in order to win. Barkov has also been fantastic in the finals, scoring the game winner in the last game nonetheless.

Also: whose narrative is that, and should we base trophies on narratives? That explanation might be convenient and easier for Oilers fans to swallow, putting it all on the goalie difference (because goalies can be hot and cold and changed easier than the whole rest of the team from their perspective).

Both of them are good picks, and Bobrovsky would also be a deserving pick. I'm just not sure where this certainty and switch of narrative came from. I guess with it being this close, the last game(s) could help make the decision.

RMF5630

Jun 13, 2022
So, more important. What is everyone drinking and eating tonight???

Johnnie Walker High Rye and Bison Sliders on potato rolls...

Reactions: Crow

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
!00% Bob, even if Mcdavid ties or breaks the playoff assist record. Smythe should always go to the a winning teams player. What Bob has done during these finals is at a historic level.

ratbid

Feb 18, 2012
If it ends up being Bob (and it should), gotta love that story. He's always seemed like a likeable player from an outside fan, had some really rough years, mostly due to his inflated salary. Then gets it done in the twilight of his career. Can't help but cheer for that.

Reactions: Dread Clawz

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's not just the Finals trophy, and it's not like Bob has been on an island in the Finals with the rest of the Panthers playing bad and winning 1-0. The games have ended 3-0, 4-1 and 4-3, needing to score 4 goals in game 3 in order to win. Barkov has also been fantastic in the finals, scoring the game winner in the last game nonetheless.

Also: whose narrative is that, and should we base trophies on narratives? That explanation might be convenient and easier for Oilers fans to swallow, putting it all on the goalie difference (because goalies can be hot and cold and changed easier than the whole rest of the team from their perspective).

Both of them are good picks, and Bobrovsky would also be a deserving pick. I'm just not sure where this certainty and switch of narrative came from. I guess with it being this close, the last game(s) could help make the decision.
Well that's kinda it, it was kinda tied going into the Final, and yes Barkov has been magnificent in the Final, but Bob basically won game 1 for them and has been great in the other two games too. Barkov has shut the big guns down, but when they have broken through Bob has stoned them, and they still don't have an answer for them

Also, yes it is a playoffs trophy and not a Finals trophy, but Bob has been great all playoffs. He really had to outduel Vasi in most of the games in the 1st round, and against NY he got lost in the weeds because Igor was otherworldly. But Bob was also fantastic.

No Panthers is on an island right now, overall as a team they have just been a lot better than the Oilers. Everyone is chipping in and making big plays. But you still need a few big dogs at the top to drag you into victories.

The narrative is winning
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but Bob has been the best player. Believe me, I love Barkov and he has shut down Mc David and Drai. But there are 29 other Oiler skaters.

Reactions: Stanley Cup Boundd

fcpremix88

Mar 9, 2007
Tampa
I think Tkachuk makes a lot of sense. The Panthers weren’t a contender until he showed up. It’ll probably go to Bob or Barkov though. All deserved.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Bob could win the cup + Conn Smythe + Vezina all this year. When was the last time a goalie won all 3 in the same year?

It's extremely rare.

Tim Thomas won both with the Cup-champion Bruins in 2011.

Then you have to go all the way back to Bernie Parent, who did it for the Flyers in consecutive years in the 70's.

Nice summary here. The title says "Hart," but the article is about Vezina and Conn Smythe.
Best NHL Goalies: Who Has Won the Hart and Conn Smythe?

Reactions: MikeyMike01

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
Not mcdavid :) I don’t care if the losing squads players are eligible. You don’t give the losers the mvp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad