Who was the better player at their peak? Jeremy Roenick or Jonathan Toews?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who was better at their peak?

• Jonathan Toews

Votes: 83 59.3%
  • Jeremy Roenick

Votes: 57 40.7%

• Total voters

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
This is Toews. I think people forget how dominant he was because he lingered for a long time. At one point, I think you could at least argue that he was the best player in hockey. That was never true for Roenick.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This is Toews. I think people forget how dominant he was because he lingered for a long time. At one point, I think you could at least argue that he was the best player in hockey. That was never true for Roenick.
He never really was though. The only argument at one point was that Toews played on teams that won everything. Of course he was a big part of those wins, but he never was better than Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin etc.

Reactions: I am not exposed

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
To me it was pretty clearly Toews. Roenick was more talented, had a longer career (by 300 games) and produced at a slightly higher rate 0.89 pts/game vs 0.83 pts/game. However, Toews was a true leader who won on every level. I am a Canucks fan so I hated the guy, but I will never forget when he guaranteed that the Blackhawks would come back from 0-3 down...and he ended up being the guy tying the game to go into OT in game 7.

Perhaps theres some Canadian bias at work where I saw him play for team Canada and despite not being one of the most skilled guys in that group he was a huge part of those teams. They are close enough in terms of on ice production over their whole careers that I think it is fair to bring in team success and intangibles and for those Toews takes the cake.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Before his knee injury, Roenick was the real deal - a 50 goal, 100pt, dynamic, gritty player.

Toews a dominating two way guy but he was in an ideal situation with Keith and Kane too. You gotta be something else to make up for the production difference.

Tough call for me.. I think Toews was more highly regarded at his peak but also that just happens for people on winning teams..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad