Value of: Who wants Fiala?

Kingspiracy

Nov 13, 2006
LA can't take the next step and probably wont with our management group. We are close to the cap and have quite a few holes in the roster. I think we have overinvested in flash at the expense of workhorse lunchpailers. Ideally I'd move / buyout PLD but that doesn't look to be in the offing, so I would look to move Fiala to free up cap to flesh the roster.

I'd be looking for something similar to the Visnovsky trade.

Who would be interested in Fiala?

27yrs old wing
29 goals this season
$8m until 28/29

LA could use a goalie upgrade, a bigger more physical competent 3c, A physical competent top 4 LD, a knuckle dragger or two, picks and cap space. I'd prefer players of a similar age or younger than Fiala.

I'd also listen to offers on Gavrikov

Bonus points if you can figure a trade for Dubious that makes sense where LA only retain as much as a buyout costs.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd take him back in Minnesota if we weren't so saddled with buyout penalties and NMC's.

What we could offer based on what you're asking for would be something like Gustavsson + Middleton (+ pick/prospect), but Gustavsson just sucked this year and I would bet that Middleton gets an extension this summer. Those 2 don't have NMC's and would clear enough cap to make it work.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
I’d like to add Fiala to Philly, but we don’t have pieces likely needed for him & they’re overflowing with wingers as is.

Bad fit.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
( Disclaimer - not a Buffalo fan or Los Angeles fan)

Something around Byram, Jokiharju and Greenway (plus?) for Fiala and Spence (plus?). Maybe one team adds a pick or prospect or something, I don't know.

Buffalo D situation looks more sorted and logical after this, both right away and more long-term as well. Spence is the guy Buffalo's been looking for to play with Power. Buffalo forwards seem a bit pricey, but Tuch is gone in 2 years and Skinner is gone in 3 years. That money pays for raises for the kids.

Kings D gets deeper and younger. Byram theoretically still has a lot of potential, maybe Kings think they can unlock it. Gavrikov and Englund contracts expire next summer. Jokiharju either works out really well or Kings move on from him after his next contract he's about to sign ends. Greenway isn't known as a knuckle-dragger, but he's 6 foot 6 and on a 1 year contract. Maybe Kings can make use of that?

4+ years from now and big picture, this is a deal around Byram and Fiala. Greenway is a 1 year contract, Jokiharju will probably be a 2-ish year contract. Spence might end up being a great depth D for Buffalo long-term, but it's hard to say for sure.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
I'd add Fiala to Detroit to have him run the 2nd line.

Wallinder + Berggren + 2025 1st for Fiala + signing rights to Roy

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
wild fans are exceedingly attached to that idiot box of hair so MIN fans might be more inclined than everyone else to pay up, probably. I do not think management would do it short of a very bad deal from LAKs point of view, however.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Something around Byram, Jokiharju and Greenway (plus?) for Fiala and Spence (plus?). Maybe one team adds a pick or prospect or something, I don't know.

Buffalo does not need Fiala. They have Wuinn, Peterka, benson, savoie, kulich, and others.

They are keep Greenway because they want size. The wingerd are under 6 gt except for one they drafted last yr they arent moving.

Tuch is a local kid, grew up a Sabres fan. Fan favorite. Hes not walking.

Sure prefer getting a young RD. Spencer got a young winger. I dont are kings moving him

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Buffalo D situation looks more sorted and logical after this, both right away and more long-term as well. Spence is the guy Buffalo's been looking for to play with Power. Buffalo forwards seem a bit pricey, but Tuch is gone in 2 years and Skinner is gone in 3 years. That money pays for raises for the kids.

Kings D gets deeper and younger. Byram theoretically still has a lot of potential, maybe Kings think they can unlock it. Gavrikov and Englund contracts expire next summer. Jokiharju either works out really well or Kings move on from him after his next contract he's about to sign ends. Greenway isn't known as a knuckle-dragger, but he's 6 foot 6 and on a 1 year contract. Maybe Kings can make use of that?

4+ years from now and big picture, this is a deal around Byram and Fiala. Greenway is a 1 year contract, Jokiharju will probably be a 2-ish year contract. Spence might end up being a great depth D for Buffalo long-term, but it's hard to say for sure.
I said this at the time of the Minny-LA trade and it hasn't changed since.

Fiala simply isn't a guy you really want on your team in the playoffs, more a guy some people might want in fantasy pools though.

Buffalo would be foolish to trade Byram for him.

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
In theory, him joining Team Suisse in New Jersey could be fun. In reality, I just don’t see the pieces or the cap working out.

Besides, Jersey can’t get the Swiss Monopoly unless they chase Josi.

Reactions: Zubrus Coffee Maker

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
I think he'd fit in great on the Avs, but they don't have the cap space or assets - barring an unlikely Rantanen deal. I'd be ok with a downgrading from Rantanen to Fiala, saving 4M long term and picking up some extra assets though.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
I'd take him back in Minnesota if we weren't so saddled with buyout penalties and NMC's.

What we could offer based on what you're asking for would be something like Gustavsson + Middleton (+ pick/prospect), but Gustavsson just sucked this year and I would bet that Middleton gets an extension this summer. Those 2 don't have NMC's and would clear enough cap to make it work.
No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would Billy want him back. He made every negotiation with Fiala difficult, because he just wasn't the type of player that BG wants on his "grit-first" team. He's a petty GM. It's the same stupid reason that he's gonna move Rossi.

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
wild fans are exceedingly attached to that idiot box of hair so MIN fans might be more inclined than everyone else to pay up, probably. I do not think management would do it short of a very bad deal from LAKs point of view, however.
Yep. That ship sailed with Fiala. We could use the offense, but he was also a turnover machine that would make costly errors. We already have one of those guys. His name is Zuccarello.

I've never been a fan of bringing players back for a second stint. It's never worked out for this team in the past....usually backfires.

Reactions: MK9 and rynryn

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would Billy want him back. He made every negotiation with Fiala difficult, because he just wasn't the type of player that BG wants on his "grit-first" team. He's a petty GM. It's the same stupid reason that he's gonna move Rossi.
Agreed that Billy wouldn't do it. I'm just speaking for myself.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Trade their only RHD, their only checker with size and the guy they just dealt their only 2-way center for to get... another smallish offensive winger when they already have guys like that on the team (Quinn, Peterka, even Skinner) AND are flowing in those guys as prospects (Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev). That's gunna big a big no on that proposal.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Trade their only RHD, their only checker with size and the guy they just dealt their only 2-way center for to get... another smallish offensive winger when they already have guys like that on the team (Quinn, Peterka, even Skinner) AND are flowing in those guys as prospects (Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Neuchev). That's gunna big a big no on that proposal.
This response is valid, but as to the point about the RHD specifically...

Spence seems like a guy that playoff teams want to keep around to play 2nd or 3rd pair as a number 4 or 5 guy. I could see him becoming a 2nd pairing guy (a number 4) long term playing with Power. Jokiharju doesn't seem like he's proven yet that he would be more than a #6 guy on a cup winning team, or a guy that playoff teams would even want to have around long-term.

So it's not "trade their only RHD", it's "upgrade their only RHD to a better RHD that can likely play with Power long-term". Not the same thing. But yeah I understand you rejecting the proposal based on everything else.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Spence seems like a guy that playoff teams want to keep around to play 2nd or 3rd pair as a number 4 or 5 guy. I could see him becoming a 2nd pairing guy (a number 4) long term playing with Power. Jokiharju doesn't seem like he's proven yet that he would be more than a #6 guy on a cup winning team, or a guy that playoff teams would even want to have around long-term.

So it's not "trade their only RHD", it's "upgrade their only RHD to a better RHD that can likely play with Power long-term". Not the same thing. But yeah I understand you rejecting the proposal based on everything else.
So they trade that package for a guy that may be a top 4 guy someday? Is this serious?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Fiala being way undervalued here. He's a #1W, folks. His contract is not small, but i would guess that in a couple of years or so it will be considered very reasonable.

Would love to have him back on MN. Maybe send back Gus, Hartman/Zucc, and a 2nd? Due to cap penalties, it has to be a cap in, cap out situation, and the above deals would just about do it.

Reactions: amikaro

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Jokiharju is a mid-pairing guy now. Spence is smaller and less proven so maybe hey one day he might be better? Still a hard no.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Spence is a nice prospect but he might be a mid pair Dnan. Not giving up your proposal just for thst.

Buffalo has Jokoharju As an RFA who ud probably better than Spence would be.

Jokiharju is not a good fit for power. He is more of an off D.

Buffalo has a few promising RD prospects. They could draft one at 11OA. If buffalo is looking at RD that more short term. Especially if they draft one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad