Value of: Who wants Fiala?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Not sure why any Wild fan would think Fiala is wearing a Wild sweater again while Guerin is GM.
Guerin being fired into the sun is not enough here. If it meant getting Fiala back I would sell not only my soul ….but also my wife’s and daughters and first born 3 grandchildren’s souls. For these souls the lord of the underworld would grant me the ability to repeatedly retrieve Guerin from the sun so I could again fire him into the sun and repeat this process for 1000 years or however long it would take until Guerin had adequately been fired into the sun. I still don’t think this is enough but it’s a start.

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
LA can't take the next step and probably wont with our management group. We are close to the cap and have quite a few holes in the roster. I think we have overinvested in flash at the expense of workhorse lunchpailers. Ideally I'd move / buyout PLD but that doesn't look to be in the offing, so I would look to move Fiala to free up cap to flesh the roster.

I'd be looking for something similar to the Visnovsky trade.

Who would be interested in Fiala?

27yrs old wing
29 goals this season
$8m until 28/29

LA could use a goalie upgrade, a bigger more physical competent 3c, A physical competent top 4 LD, a knuckle dragger or two, picks and cap space. I'd prefer players of a similar age or younger than Fiala.

I'd also listen to offers on Gavrikov

Bonus points if you can figure a trade for Dubious that makes sense where LA only retain as much as a buyout costs.

Chychrun and Joseph/Brannstrom for Fiala and rights to Roy?
Add picks/B- prospects to round it out.

Last edited:

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
I think he'd fit in great on the Avs, but they don't have the cap space or assets - barring an unlikely Rantanen deal. I'd be ok with a downgrading from Rantanen to Fiala, saving 4M long term and picking up some extra assets though.
Sign me up.

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Kempe may be LA's next captain, don't even look at him please unless you're just admiring his viking good looks or you're going to make an offer that kills you to make, especially while he's on this sweetheart deal.

Reactions: JKG33 and Chainshot

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
LA can't take the next step and probably wont with our management group. We are close to the cap and have quite a few holes in the roster. I think we have overinvested in flash at the expense of workhorse lunchpailers. Ideally I'd move / buyout PLD but that doesn't look to be in the offing, so I would look to move Fiala to free up cap to flesh the roster.

I'd be looking for something similar to the Visnovsky trade.

Who would be interested in Fiala?

27yrs old wing
29 goals this season
$8m until 28/29

LA could use a goalie upgrade, a bigger more physical competent 3c, A physical competent top 4 LD, a knuckle dragger or two, picks and cap space. I'd prefer players of a similar age or younger than Fiala.

I'd also listen to offers on Gavrikov

Bonus points if you can figure a trade for Dubious that makes sense where LA only retain as much as a buyout costs.
Teammates always said Fiala has an attitude. I doubt Habs want him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Might there be a fit with Winnipeg and Ehlers? Performances are close but if Ehlers won't resign in Peg, Winnipeg might benefit from the longer term deal with Fiala.

On the flip side, LA gets a quality top 6 wing, a bit of cap space, contract flexibility, and likely something like pick or prospect.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Fiala being way undervalued here. He's a #1W, folks. His contract is not small, but i would guess that in a couple of years or so it will be considered very reasonable.

Would love to have him back on MN. Maybe send back Gus, Hartman/Zucc, and a 2nd? Due to cap penalties, it has to be a cap in, cap out situation, and the above deals would just about do it.
No, he isn't now nor has he ever been a first liner. He isn't capable of playing 5x5 with anyone who needs to carry the puck. In order to be effective, Fiala needs linemates who defer and open space. That limits his ability to mesh with your teams top players and it's why he is habitually played on his team's second or third line.

His PP work is outstanding, but he just cannot play away from the puck without getting selfish and impatient. He goes into business for himself and was rightfully called out for it when his lazy defensive play, dumb penalties and selfish nature were a major part of the Kings nosedive midyear.

If you just look at numbers, you might assume that he was a "1st liner", but if you watch the games you see why he is a diet star whose offense hasn't been worth anything to the Kings. They play better without him, especially in the playoffs where they were 2-1 without him and 1-7 with him in the lineup.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
No, he isn't now nor has he ever been a first liner. He isn't capable of playing 5x5 with anyone who needs to carry the puck. In order to be effective, Fiala needs linemates who defer and open space. That limits his ability to mesh with your teams top players and it's why he is habitually played on his team's second or third line.

His PP work is outstanding, but he just cannot play away from the puck without getting selfish and impatient. He goes into business for himself and was rightfully called out for it when his lazy defensive play, dumb penalties and selfish nature were a major part of the Kings nosedive midyear.

If you just look at numbers, you might assume that he was a "1st liner", but if you watch the games you see why he is a diet star whose offense hasn't been worth anything to the Kings. They play better without him, especially in the playoffs where they were 2-1 without him and 1-7 with him in the lineup.

Damn, I don’t watch him enough to have an opinion, but that’s a convincing shredding right there.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
No way in h-e-double hockey sticks would Billy want him back. He made every negotiation with Fiala difficult, because he just wasn't the type of player that BG wants on his "grit-first" team. He's a petty GM. It's the same stupid reason that he's gonna move Rossi.
I thought he traded fiala because he was too handsome

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Damn, I don’t watch him enough to have an opinion, but that’s a convincing shredding right there.

As a Kings fan, I HATED that trade when it was announced because I was such a huge proponent of Faber's at the time. I felt it was way too early in the rebuild process to be trading your transmission for a flashy set of rims.

When you see Fiala play 5 or 6 times a year, it's really easy to be captivated by the exceptional hands and world class edgework he has worked so hard to develop. The numbers are impressive too. Not at a star level, just a tier below. But the cost to get those stats just isn't worth the unforced errors leading to breakaways, the selfish stick fouls, the occasional embellishments at key moments and most importantly the inability to play hockey with a lead without boneheaded greedy risks that allow the opposition to get back in the game. His strengths aren't clearly worth more than his weaknesses.

You might think that with experience and the right kind of leadership group that he might learn to be more of a team player, but he is going to be 28 in a few weeks and this stuff should have been cleaned out of his game a few years ago.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

There are, by definition, 64 wingers in the league that are 1st liners. Fiala is in that group. I am a MN fan, and saw plenty of Fiala. If MN didn't have their present cap difficulties I'd take him back in a flash, though Faber wouldn't be going the other way.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
Jets 1st, Dvorak, Baron, Pezzetta.

Kings get some cap relief and flesh out their line up.

Habs get a slightly expensive 2nd liner to play with Dach and thus complete 2/3 of their 2 line build

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
There are, by definition, 64 wingers in the league that are 1st liners. Fiala is in that group. I am a MN fan, and saw plenty of Fiala. If MN didn't have their present cap difficulties I'd take him back in a flash, though Faber wouldn't be going the other way.
Agree with everything else, but I've never bought this logic, which essentially puts David Pastrnak and Oliver Bjorkstrand on the same level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad